dsl40cr tones setting

• Thread starter frankybody
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frankybody

Reaction score
hi gang, I need help finding the right setting for rock and metal or simply your favorite, I'm visual if you could put a picture it would be perfect, I play with a ltd ec1000 with Seymour Duncan pickup jb/59, Thank you

AdrianDSL

Reaction score
Yeah, you do you basically, from my medium and high gain experience with the dsl40cr: ultra 1 channel gain 7ish, tone dialled to taste (but don't scoop the mids, big mistake!) and use a tube screamer or sd-1 as clean boost. Also, the speaker/ cab choice and the way you place yourself relative to the amp/cab matter a lot to get a pleasant crunchy tone and avoid ear fatigue.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have the 40CR.
The best advice I can give you is to keep the gain lower than you might expect for Metal settings and boost the front end with an OD pedal.
The high gain tone is so much more pleasing that way.
Less mushy and compressed.

Keep lowering the Ultra Gain and upping the OD gain/level until you find the sweet spot for you.

Don't have the same guitar, but I have a Charvel Pro Mod with the same pups as you.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I find that my DSL20 has way too much bass, which results in a muddy sound. Your DSL40 might be the same way. My settings for a classic British metal tone à la Piece of Mind are
Bass 0.5
Middle 8
Treble 3
Resonance 0
Presence 3
Gain 6 ( Lead 1)
Reverb 0

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
It's called an overdrive pedal.
Goes in front of the amp to boost the guitar signal.
Helps with boosting gain on low gain amps, tightening gain on higher gain amps.
Can be used for light gain crunch tone on a clean channel.
Usual knobs are Level, Gain and Tone.
Clean boost has Gain at 0, Level at 10.

TMR

Reaction score
It's called an overdrive pedal.
Goes in front of the amp to boost the guitar signal.
Helps with boosting gain on low gain amps, tightening gain on higher gain amps.
Can be used for light gain crunch tone on a clean channel.
Usual knobs are Level, Gain and Tone.
Clean boost has Gain at 0, Level at 10.
Oh ok, have one of those, just never heard it by that name before. As a side note, what's meant by the phrase "mic'ing an amp"? Thanks and apologies for the questioning.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Oh ok, have one of those, just never heard it by that name before. As a side note, what's meant by the phrase "mic'ing an amp"? Thanks and apologies for the questioning.
No worries. We all have to hear jargon for the first time.

Mic is just short for microphone.
So 'mic'ing and amp means using a mic (e.g. Shure SM57) placed close to the speaker cone, for recording.

Reactions: TMR

TMR

Reaction score
No worries. We all have to hear jargon for the first time.

Mic is just short for microphone.
So 'mic'ing and amp means using a mic (e.g. Shure SM57) placed close to the speaker cone, for recording.
I don't want to sound thick here but probably am. Is there some kind of flow diagram available for me to follow? I've tried a google of a set up but can't find anything a newbie can understand. Well, me anyway!

TMR

Reaction score
Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread😬

Chase42147

Reaction score
Check out Euge Valovirta's video on the DSL100H. Not exactly the same amp but close enough. He gets fantastic tones with every amp he plays, and really showcases them well. He always shows his settings