Dsl40cr Vs. Dsl20cr ....

• Thread starter Springfield Scooter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
2 times the power = +3 dB = 1.41 times the sound pressure (what our ears hear or a microphone senses). 4 times the power = +6 dB = 2 times the sound pressure. 10 times the power = +10 dB = 3.16 the sound pressure. So on, and so forth.

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/
Right but 1.4 times the sound pressure is a hard thing to relate to in the real world is what I mean. 10x the power sounds twice as loud is relatable. It is twice as loud to the ear regarcless of the SPL numbers. 10 watts to 100 watts is relatable. 3.16 times the "sound pressure" doesn't really mean much to one for someone trying to figure oit how loud one amp is to another. Sound pressure level isnt necessarily loudness as such.
From the article listed.

"Note: While increasing the power level by a factor a four doubles the sound pressure, this doesn’t mean the volume is doubled."

Avenger

Reaction score
I think this "volume's volume" topic is something constantly discussed here, I hope you guys don't fight over it. What I can contribute about it is that during my researches I noticed a guy who posted in several topics in this forums, a sequence containing watts versus volume which looked consistent to me. This seems to be the original post, linking to his study about it: Post #23 on How loud is 1 watt? at Feb 14, 2012 from @guitartate .

I also believe in the myth that 5W tubes (aka valves) is way more loudness than 5W transistor (aka solid state).

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I want to further confuse this thread by mentioning the fletcher/munson curve. As if watts vs decibels wasnt confusing enough. Not sure I know enough about it to talk about it though.....

Well it seems to tell us that we hear sounds differently when the volume changes which means our perception of the tonal qualities of a sound will change as the volume changes. Or vice versa. I would also like to put forward my own theory called Jon's Marshall/Cymbal hypothesis which states that your hearing is fucked up proportionally to the number of years you have stood in front of a cranked Marshall and a drummer that beats on his cymbals right at ear level and that if you multiply one by the other then shit.

I might have to polish it up a little before it gets published in the journal of international medical research.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
To the best of my googling skills that stands to NAD Electronics. hehe
When I first started lurking on the MF (Marshall Forum) I noticed loads of threads starting with NAD.
NAD = New Amp Day
Almost all acronyms on the MF starting with the letter N are started by someone who has just bought some kit.
You just got to work out what.
NOSFHFSTAD = New Old Stock Fitted High Fidelity Stereo Tube Amp Day (possibly made by NAD!)

Avenger

Reaction score
I want to further confuse this thread by mentioning the fletcher/munson curve. As if watts vs decibels wasnt confusing enough. Not sure I know enough about it to talk about it though.....

Well it seems to tell us that we hear sounds differently when the volume changes which means our perception of the tonal qualities of a sound will change as the volume changes. Or vice versa. I would also like to put forward my own theory called Jon's Marshall/Cymbal hypothesis which states that your hearing is fucked up proportionally to the number of years you have stood in front of a cranked Marshall and a drummer that beats on his cymbals right at ear level and that if you multiply one by the other then shit.

I might have to polish it up a little before it gets published in the journal of international medical research.

I totally agree with you! I believe everyone should take the "perceptive audio frequency test" once in a while to see how degraded their hearing is. You should play that with earphones (at reasonable volume, something you use to listen soft music, not rocking out loud), and bear in mind the rated frequencies the headphones can reproduce, any good brand earphone will come with this specification; I used Koss sparkplugs. This gives one a good idea on which tones they are able to perceive. And if you compare your results with friends, you'll notice how different is people's sensitivity to audio frequencies.

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
I own a DSL40CR and spend most my time on voicings #2 (classic crunch) and #3 (ultra OD1).

I dont own a DSL20CR and the more demos I listen to, the less sure I am about which 2 voicings it actually utilizes.

Is it safe to say that the 20 has its own and slightly different sound ?

Anyone own both?

I own both.

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
I am in the exact dillema you answered and the title of the thread led me to read thru it. So I must take your advice to the letter (meaning your answer was really useful to somebody in the end, thanks for not totally "editing it out").

What you mean with "clean headroom"? I am afraid the 20CR will start "crunching" too early in the clean setting and ruin my fun. I'm willing to play it not louder than I can sing without microphones -- and I am neither a good singer, guitar player, and loud-voiced-throat.

Given that, am I safe to assume the clean headroom in DSL20CR is enough for me? I will probably have trouble getting a good distortion at around the same volume (I may not be singing but I don't need it louder anyway) as there's no MVC (master volume control), and I will then need to add some sort of attenuator to the the speaker (not pedals, right, as I can only control volume after preamp and will lose what I could call distortion from power amp at real real loud volume).

I'm a huge fan of a Power Soak

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
I own both. Because I couldn't get the "Crunch Channel" from the Classic Gain Channel on the DSL20CR I changed the internal speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30, and I also run a Marshall MX112 1X12 cab underneath my DSL20CR loaded with a Celestion V-Type.
I need the "crunch" from the clean channel. DSL20CR has no "crunch" channel button.
The OD1 sound is better for me than OD2, but I actually use OD2 in my home studio on a Marshall DSL100H w/2X12.
It took me time and money, but my Marshall DSL20CR and 1X12 extension cab can get me through.
It sits at home in the studio.
I use a Marshall DSL40CR rig at band rehearsal, and live I use a Marshall DSL100HR on a 4X12 custom loaded cab.
There was discussion concerning a 5 watt Marshall DSL, and it was said that the Classic Gain Channel was possibly configured to be the "Clean" channel on the models with 4 "voicings", and the Ultra Gain Channel was most likely configured to be the "OD2" channel on the models with 4 "voicings".
A speaker swap worked for me with the Marshall DSL20CR when I needed it to cover the necessary sounds from a model that has the 4 "voicings".
My DSL20CR rig sounds great with or without the MX112 extension cab.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I changed the internal speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30, and I also run a Marshall MX112 1X12 cab underneath my DSL20CR loaded with a Celestion V-Type.
I did a similar thing with my DSL40CR.
The combo now has a G12 Century Vintage Neo (V30-esque) in the combo and the V-Type from the DSL in an open backed 112 cab underneath.
Sounds killer.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
That is an excellent idea for a new Backstage thread @Avenger :fever:

Using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-250 80Ω, mine started at 35Hz and dropped off at 8831kHz.
Is that good or bad? :confused:

That's good in that guitar speakers generally have a top end frequency response of 5 to 6k so you should be able to hear everything your amp is putting out. Other instruments esp cymbals go much higher but who gives a fuck about them?