Dsl40cr With 2x12

• Thread starter ShatteredVitreous
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Evening all

First off hello from Liverpool. Just signed up as I am waiting for a DSL40cr to be delivered. I had been using a Marshall JVM410h for practice but whilst I loved the sound the weight with a 4x12 was just to much. I moved to using a Kemper but I fear the Kemper will end up a little road warn and would be better suited in my studio.

So I am looking at the DSL40cr for a hard rock band, love the demos so far but I have a quick question.

The speaker is a v30 which I love but I would like to plug in my 2x12 16ohm wired in series (so 8ohms) into the DSL40cr but keep the stock speaker running. My questions are 1) can this be done 2) if so should I plug the speaker into the 8ohm socket or 3) would it be better for me to wire these in parallel and plug them into the 16ohm socket?

Cheers guys

Mike

Pat6969

Reaction score
Wiring two 16ohm speakers in parallel will yield an 8ohm load, wiring in series will yield a 32ohm load.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Wiring two 16ohm speakers in parallel will yield an 8ohm load, wiring in series will yield a 32ohm load.

Pat

Thank you for clarifying. I knew that but for some reason put the parallel capacity.

To keep the internal speaker on whilst connecting the 2x12 I would need to wire it in parallel and connect it to the 8ohm socket?

Sorry I don't have the amp yet and the cab is in the studio. Just want to make sure tomorrow that I don't blow the power amp section.

Regards

Mike

Pat6969

Reaction score
In theory that is what you would do. Not sure how well mixing impedences would be though so I'll let someone else answer that question.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Pat

Thank you for clarifying. I knew that but for some reason put the parallel capacity.

To keep the internal speaker on whilst connecting the 2x12 I would need to wire it in parallel and connect it to the 8ohm socket?

Sorry I don't have the amp yet and the cab is in the studio. Just want to make sure tomorrow that I don't blow the power amp section.

Regards

Mike

Don't do it unless you can make the impedances match. The amp only accepts a 16 ohm or 8 ohm load, so you must have a 16 ohm internal speaker and a 16 ohm cab and plug those into the 8 ohm inputs. That's your only option. What you currently have you can only plug in your internal speaker or cab but not both at the same time.

There is one other option, disconnect one of the speakers in your 2x12 then you can run the matched 16 ohm internal speaker and 1x12 16 ohm cab at 8 ohms. Not much point in that since you can just disconnect the internal speaker and run only the 2x12.

Last edited:

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Cheers mate

I would like to run both as the v30 in its own is not going to be loud enough, well have enough weight. I'm hopping painting it with my gt75s will help add an extra dimension.

I will check the cab when I am in the studio and post specifics.

Thank you

Mike

LCW

Reaction score
964e5df2-c76b-4d74-80e1-8757761a2cd7.jpg

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the inputs work like the JVM and Astoria i.e. You can put a 8 ohm load into the 4 ohm socket, with a 16 ohm load into the 8 ohm socket and because each tap is half loaded it matches?
They sure look the same setup in that photo.

JohnH

Reaction score
Is that group of jacks pictured above from the new DSL? if so..yes and you can do it as on JVM's (16 ohm internal goes to 8 ohm jack, 8 ohm cab goes to 4 ohm jack). Its a gift from Santiago!

But previous DSL's have had just a switched pair of jacks, so no good for mixed cabs.

(ok so Georgiatec types faster, but we agree!)

matttornado

Reaction score
Looking at the pic above, theoretically one could use the internal speaker, two 16 ohm cabs & two 8 ohm cabs all at once for a total of 4 speaker cabs plus the amp's speaker? WOW!

mwaley

Reaction score
Okay, I went though this scenario just a short time ago. This is what I did:
AMP: DSL40cr with 16ohm V-Type Speaker

I removed the V-Type and installed a Celestion Vintage 30 - BUT - an 8 OHM speaker.

When you run the combo by itself, simply plug the internal speaker jack into one of the 1x8 OHM|2x16 OHM Jacks.

When you run the 212 without the internal speaker, pull and leave the internal speaker jack out. Then plug the 212 cabinet into one of the 1x8 OHM|2x16 OHM Jacks.

When you run with the combo AND a 212 8 OHM cabinet, move the internal speaker jack into one of the 1x4 OHM|2x8 OHM Jacks and plug the 212 into the other of the 1x4 OHM|2x8 OHM Jacks.

THREE AWESOME OPTIONS that I use regularly at gigs, depending on the club size.

Works GREAT!!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes that is matching impedances.
One could also leave the original 16 ohm in the amp and use 2x8 ohm speakers in series in the external cab for 16 ohms there as well. Match impedances and go.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Looking at the pic above, theoretically one could use the internal speaker, two 16 ohm cabs & two 8 ohm cabs all at once for a total of 4 speaker cabs plus the amp's speaker? WOW!
No. You cannot do that!
The 16 Ohm jack is for the internal speaker on its own and makes up 1 whole load. Nothing else can be connected if it is used.
The other 4 jacks are paired in parallel. Each pair makes up 1 whole load.
So, one 8 Ohm speaker or two 16 Ohm speakers make up 1 whole load in the next pair, and nothing else can be connected.
In the last pair, one 4 Ohm speaker or two 8 Ohm speakers make up 1 whole load, and nothing else can be connected.

Where the mismatching comes in is where each of the pairs are connected to a 1/2 load each, adding back up to 1 whole load.
i.e. One 16 Ohm in one of the 2x16 Ohm jacks, and one 8 Ohm in one of the 2x8 Ohm jacks.
That is the only possible exact mismatch.

This has all been verified by one of the engineers who worked on the design of the JVM series. @santiall.

Last edited:

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Don't do it unless you can make the impedances match. The amp only accepts a 16 ohm or 8 ohm load, so you must have a 16 ohm internal speaker and a 16 ohm cab and plug those into the 8 ohm inputs. That's your only option. What you currently have you can only plug in your internal speaker or cab but not both at the same time.

There is one other option, disconnect one of the speakers in your 2x12 then you can run the matched 16 ohm internal speaker and 1x12 16 ohm cab at 8 ohms. Not much point in that since you can just disconnect the internal speaker and run only the 2x12.

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Just a side note.... The CR combo has plenty o balls and no problem on its own in a full band with a heavy handed drummer. I tried it already a couple times. But. .. Running it with a 2x12 as, we'll as the internal.... Now that would be glorious. Cheers.

Last edited: