• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Dunlop 535 Wah Issue

• Thread starter RickyLee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had this Dunlop 535 Wah since 1996. This is not the 535Q, just 535. I think it was the first Dunlop model with the Q adjust, as this one has a 4 position only. Also has the gain boost button on the side with the trim pot underneath.

It is my main Wah and possibly still my favorite, even after aquiring many Wah pedals over the years which include the Vox Clyde V848; Fulltone Clyde Deluxe; Hendrix Wah; Hendrix Fuzz Wah; Zak Wah ZW-45; Slash Wah SW-95; Dunlop 95Q, Dunlop GCB95.

:hmm:

I think I covered them all.

:D

As you can see, I have a big affliction with Wah pedals. And basically, I have a slight unhappiness with each one in some way. But still, the Wah is probably my favorite stomp pedal. And I still have my first two which I did not mention above, which is my old Morely Wah that I have had since I was a Youngin' in the 80's, and my Thomas Organ patent pending model Wah.

So now that you have seen my GAS problem with Wah pedals, let me get on with the issue I am looking to solve here.

My 535 has had a crackling issue on its sweep for many years. I thought it was the pot, so I replaced the original pot with a CTS McCono pot. Basically this pot gave my Wah barely any improvement at all. And the crackling is still there on the sweep. I have opened it up to see if there was a loose component or bad connection and could not find a problem there.

Also to note, I picked up a second 535 Wah a few years back and it does not have the crackling issue. Works good. So I am wondering if anyone has encountered this issue? Could it even be a bad capacitor? Or even the inductor? The crackling is there on all four Q positions I should add.

I was considering replacing the inductor with something else. Does anyone know if the stock inductors in these are good or are they worse than all these newer inductors that claim to be the Shite? I do have a few spares here I have picked up. I have a Red and a Yellow Fasel. I might even have one of those Whipple inductors stashed away as well.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember reading something on the Mc Cono pot site about this new pot having an issue that would be telated to the value of a capacitor in the circuit. Or something along those lines.

Does anyone else remember seeing that? I have been searching the web but not seeing it now.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well . . . some lubricated cleaner in this new McConno pot seemed to fix the problem.

I am stumped how a new pot could be scratchy, but maybe it never had enough - or any lubricant in there to begin with.

And it has a dust cover on it as well.

Keeb

Reaction score
I remember reading something on the Mc Cono pot site about this new pot having an issue that would be telated to the value of a capacitor in the circuit. Or something along those lines.

Does anyone else remember seeing that? I have been searching the web but not seeing it now.

This might not be what you're after but...
I remember hearing that changing the capacitor at the wiper of the pot (from 0.22uF) to a 1uF non polar would somehow simulate an ICAR taper.

Obviously changing a cap in a cap-resistor combo is going to change the frequency response but I'm not educated enough in the "coveted" mojo parts of vintage wahs to explain it.

By the way, I breadboarded a crybaby modded clyde mccoy type wah but experienced some slight distortion/unclean sound when in the heel down position (using humbuckers).
Since you seem to have worked your way around most wah, do you recognize this?