dying

• Thread starter Marcell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
recently, locally, I saw someone put an ad out for a bunch of gear.

They had no clue as to what their deceased loved one had. I started talking to the girl & was telling her what stuff was worth, if she was to get fair market. They had a 1971 Super Lead stack (full stack w/ matching cab's). She also had a bunch of other items, which could have gone for a few grand.

Right before we started talking, she had already agreed to sell everything for $1200, thinking that she was charging too much & that the guy offering was being more than generous...

Man, I couldn’t take advantage of someone like that in a million years. What a disgrace.

RandallPink

Reaction score
No kids, so my siblings will probably sell them for too low of a price. That is if the looters don't get the stuff first. My closest relative is a 12 hour drive away.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Inventory/price list, my best axe would be first refusal to the good gent that regrets selling it. Would leave gear to a young'un if they were full-on about playing and capturing the good sounds.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Like I said before, my wife will get everything.

I've experienced many bloodsuckers that will give you an oar for the Queen Mary.

People have little scruples when it comes to buying stuff.

I know the buy low sell high thing but people have a tendency to be very low class and will be that way second nature.

I will unfortunately hand over the burden to my wife when the time comes.

She'll get to witness first hand the low rent offers and animals that'll come out of the woodwork.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've kept a spreadsheet for over 20 years. Partly for insurance documentation, and partly for my wife's sake should I get killed by a super-sized owl that swoops down from the sky and drags me to its cave of death. Every iota about every piece of my gear is documented so that she will be well-informed about everything she needs to know. I have WAY too much $$,$$$ wrapped up in my lifetime of gear acquisition for her to end up getting ripped off by some greedy dishonest magpie @sshole who thinks he's going to get his "1959 Gibson Les Paul that was stored in an attic for 50 years by some naive mother who's son went off to war and was killed in Vietnam, and she's willing to take $100 for it".

That ain't gonna happen with my gear, and not to my wife. NFW

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if, when I die, I might keep trying to grab one of my guitars but I can't pick it up and I'll be like, "WTF, am I dead or something? Why can't I pick this up?"

Iron1

Reaction score
I want one buried with me, the rest my wife and son can do with as they will...

ampeq

Reaction score
By the time I go I will have sold all but 1 guitar and one amp. (To screwed up to play.) Same with some other interests I have. A big pile of stuff that's "gold" to you might be just a burden to someone else. Remember, they look at a 59' LP the same way they look at a MIM Strat.

Judd

Reaction score
What will you wise what will happen to your guitars and amps when your gone?

To sell them?
To go to your children and grandchildren?
To destroy them?
To go with you in the grave?

Everyone has to go, so speak up.
I have decreed that upon my passing from this earthly domain, my beautiful guitars, my glorious amplifiers and my maidens and servants shall all be heaped upon a great bonfire and set ablaze so that the flames shall reach Valhalla itself! .
Upon the quenching of this great inferno, my comrades will drink much wine and the maidens shall sing songs of sorrow and the storytellers shall weave tales of my valour in battle upon the nefarious stages of this world! My mother shall weep. My beautiful wife shall mourn. My children shall be proud. I have lived a good life!

Last edited:

Ramo

Reaction score
I dont have lot of gear but what i have im hoping my boy will have interest once his bit older and he use it.

at the moment he dose not care about muisc he is only 9 so im hoping he will when he is bit older. He says he will keep it for memory but i have feeling most likely it will be sold for pennies...

but i wont be alive to see so it wont hurt me lol

Webslinger

Reaction score
The best thing to do is, as mentioned, keep a detailed list of what you have. Then whomever of your kin, you'd like to leave whatever to. Then put this into a legal will. Most people dont. I've seen this happen many times. Not just with guitars, but any hobby equip (fishing/guns/tools/car parts/etc). If there is no spouse or kids, the stuff usually goes to a sibling or cousin. And then usually who has no knowlege or interest. A few points: dont think it's ghoulish to contact the family too soon (someone else surely will). explain that they wont get FMV unless they are willing to post an ad, let strangers in their home (some of whom will show up late, or not at all, then low-ball you). Explain you cant offer top-dollar, but offer a low-fair price for when they get to the point of just giving it all away. At least they'll get something for their trouble.

Webslinger

Reaction score
I've seen this happen many times..[/QUOTE said:
I was in a band with a guy who had problems and died intestate. He had a nice PA, drums, classic car, cruiser bike, offroad toys, and tools. His brother was cool as first, but got greedy when he was told by a friend (who worked at GC) what the "new price" was and so that's what he was asking. He wanted top $ for the music stuff, and wouldnt let anyone check-it out. I explained the sitch, and asked him to CALL me just before he gets frustrated and puts it all on the sidewalk. He didnt. Let the music stuff rot in the basement. A biker dude took all the vehicles for free. The rest went out on the sidewalk. scavengers took the HW stuff. A real shame.

Jd6424

Reaction score
What will you wise what will happen to your guitars and amps when your gone?

To sell them?
To go to your children and grandchildren?
To destroy them?
To go with you in the grave?

Everyone has to go, so speak up.

AWESOME GRAMMAR!!!!

El Gringo

Reaction score
This subject has come up from time to time in my home . I have instructed the old lady on what to do and whom to call and to sell . Also , she has stated that she may keep them all , and I said if you do take some lessons . Then I warned her not to damage my stuff because she will have to deal with me .