ECC823 has arrived

• Thread starter Peter McAteer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peter McAteer

Reaction score
Wow …… Darker than an 83 ?
Instead of being routed thru a 12AX7, the red channel goes thru a 12AU7. Much less gain...Which in the DSL15, is exactly what is needed. For reasons known to no one but the folks at Marshall, the DSL15 has the Red 2 channel of the DSL40, and not the more useable Red 1. Subbing in an ECC823 is one way of taming the red channel on the DSL15.

Last edited:

donwagar

Reaction score
I bought a DSL15C about 6 months ago, after I'd read up on some of the mods here.
I thought the ECC823 was a good mod. I also did C76 (150pF), R82 (added 150K), removed C75.
And I put a Private Jack speaker in it.
I think it sounds way better than it did. It's my home practice amp now.

Peter McAteer

Reaction score
I bought a DSL15C about 6 months ago, after I'd read up on some of the mods here.
I thought the ECC823 was a good mod. I also did C76 (150pF), R82 (added 150K), removed C75.
And I put a Private Jack speaker in it.
I think it sounds way better than it did. It's my home practice amp now.
You added the ECC823 AND did the R82? That must have tamed the red channel a whole lot. I'm going to start with the tube, and if that doesn't do enough, I'll rebuild the red channel to the same spec as red 1 on the DSL40. Like shown in this vid

South Park

Reaction score
I think what you are doing is dropping the q point of the preamp tube. You can look it up on the data sheet. Power curve

Peter McAteer

Reaction score
Well, after a few weeks of being busy with other projects, the ECC823 finally went into the V1 slot today. I must say that this one change has really tamed the red channel. If you're looking for a simple, no-solder mod to dial down the insane red channel on the DSL15, this is it. That being said, it's still a bit fizzy. Further mods may be in store if I can't EQ the fizz out of the signal. C76 AND R82 may be next.

JvZ

Reaction score
I'd add that the JJ EC823 has improved the green channel as well. Apparently the 12AX7 side of the twin triode is an upgrade to the Marshall branded ECC83 that came with the amp.
In what way did the green channel change .?

my DSL 15c is stock, except the speaker swap to V30. I am looking for a good way to tame CH2, And get rid of some fizz.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
You added the ECC823 AND did the R82? That must have tamed the red channel a whole lot. I'm going to start with the tube, and if that doesn't do enough, I'll rebuild the red channel to the same spec as red 1 on the DSL40. Like shown in this vid

Unless you have a schematic, I wouldn't do anything.
Be very wary of "modifications" posted on the internet.
If you can find a schematic then you could make an intelligent decision.

You can change tubes yes...

Roag Jones

Reaction score

Roag Jones

Reaction score
Old thread but thr 823 worked wonders for me, helped lots the t82 with thatvtubr eas fantastic. I have the dsl20 now but absolutely liver my dsl15 after the mods

JvZ

Reaction score
The ECC823 Worked wonders.
A LOT better in ch.2, provides more playroom with gain, and a quiter Amp.

i’m happy .!!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I would love to try an ECC823 in my DSL40CR.
But they are impossible to find in Europe.
Shipping one from Eurotubes would be $32.

The closest I can find in the EU is the ECC832 (triodes reversed).
I fear it might make the Classic Green channel even quieter!
Anyone used one of these to good effect in a DSL Mk II or Mk III?

Last edited:

JvZ

Reaction score
Where are you located.?
I ordered mine at Tonefactory in the Netherlands

Yes, the 832 does quite the opposite, to suit other amps. You really need the 823.! in a DSL15.

But:
With a DSL 40 you've already got Lead 1.

Super lead channel on DSL15 (Stock) is like your DSL40's Lead 2, wich i've Tamed to be near your DSL40's lead 1.

You can already use your lead 1 for this

Last edited: