ECC823 has arrived

• Thread starter Peter McAteer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SteelLucky

Reaction score
ECC823 in a DSL40C user here. It definitely has made the amp more versatile on the Lead 1&2 channels. The amp still has an abundance of gain available but I find that it allows me to actually use the gain knob. It definitely feels less compressed to me at volume. I like it this way more than I do with a 12ax7 in V1. No effect on the Clean&Crunch channels.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Where are you located.?
I ordered mine at Tonefactory in the Netherlands
I am in the UK.
I have just checked out Tonefactory and they do not seem to carry the ECC823.

Cheers for the mini review @SteelLucky.
It looks like I will have to bite the bullet and order one from the US.

Reactions: JvZ

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Cheers @JvZ.
I just checked. Out of Stock. That may be why my search didn't show it.

YOU GOT THE LAST ONE!!!!!!! :wallbash:

I will keep an eye on new stocks. :fingersx:

JvZ

Reaction score
They had to order mine too.
Took only just about a week to get in here, like they said

Actually, it was not listed in their shop but they were familiar with it.
After my request for it, they were so kind to add it for me.

Very friendly and professional shop .!! Love to go there .!!

Last edited:

taylodl

Reaction score
ECC823 in a DSL40C user here. It definitely has made the amp more versatile on the Lead 1&2 channels. The amp still has an abundance of gain available but I find that it allows me to actually use the gain knob. It definitely feels less compressed to me at volume. I like it this way more than I do with a 12ax7 in V1. No effect on the Clean&Crunch channels.

This is what I'm looking for! The OD1 channel is barely usable and the OD2 channel needs help. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this tube. No effect at all on the Clean & Crunch channels you say? Because I love those channels. Out of curiosity, have you switched out any of the other tubes? (V2, V3, V4).

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I did finally get around to getting one.
Had to get it from Denmark! And the 1st one was a dud.
They sent another one pretty quickly though.

It does give you a couple of notches back on the Ultra Red channel, before the mush kicks in again at 7~8.
My ears aren't good enough to hear any general improvement over the stock V1 tube though.
Classic channels are unaffected by the ECC823 in V1.

svinyard

Reaction score
I did finally get around to getting one.
Had to get it from Denmark! And the 1st one was a dud.
They sent another one pretty quickly though.

It does give you a couple of notches back on the Ultra Red channel, before the mush kicks in again at 7~8.
My ears aren't good enough to hear any general improvement over the stock V1 tube though.
Classic channels are unaffected by the ECC823 in V1.
Bah...so no real tone or general improvement? Other than a bit more room on the knob? I could see that being helpful for using the 6-button footswitch between OD1 and OD2 but it sounds like it just changed where the knob goes to mush eh? I was hoping for some bit of magic that got a step closer to an 800 tone (yeah I know, tall order).

PelliX

Reaction score
Bah...so no real tone or general improvement? Other than a bit more room on the knob? I could see that being helpful for using the 6-button footswitch between OD1 and OD2 but it sounds like it just changed where the knob goes to mush eh?

Here goes one subjective description, but nonetheless; I find the channel Gain has to be open a fair deal for the dynamics to work properly. Lowering the overall gain on Ultra allows you to turn up the Gain more and thus gives you (or me, eh) a more usable range while remaining in the sweet spot of the sweep.

I was hoping for some bit of magic that got a step closer to an 800 tone (yeah I know, tall order).

Then forget the Ultra side, indeed. I gave up trying to get 800 tones from my DSL and caved. I bought an 800 and it's become my allround goto, everyday favorite amp. That said, on Classic Crunch with perhaps a bit of upfront gain adjustment (EQ, volume pedal, clean boost/cut, whatever) you can get "close". Not there, but close for some stuff.

SteelLucky

Reaction score
This is what I'm looking for! The OD1 channel is barely usable and the OD2 channel needs help. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this tube. No effect at all on the Clean & Crunch channels you say? Because I love those channels. Out of curiosity, have you switched out any of the other tubes? (V2, V3, V4).
I did sell that amp as I switched to a JCM800 but V2 was a RFT, v3 was a JJ ECC83S, V4 was a JJ ECC803S, and EHX EL34. I will say when I dialed it in for the couple buying it, I was thinking, why am I selling this?

ScottyBGoode

Reaction score
The ECC823 I ordered from Eurotubes has arrived, soon be slotted into V1 in my DSL15H. Hopefully this tames the insane red channel on this amp! Updates pending.
Hey Peter, looking to do the same mod to my DSL15c. How'd did the switch work out for you? Was it a straight swap, or was there a bit of fiddling/biasing etc involved?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey Peter, looking to do the same mod to my DSL15c. How'd did the switch work out for you? Was it a straight swap, or was there a bit of fiddling/biasing etc involved?
it's a straight swap. Only have to readjust your amp settings, as the difference in the affected channel will be substantial...

ScottyBGoode

Reaction score
OK, awesome.

As it stands right now, I never use the Ultra Gain. I stumbled upon this thread while looking for a way to do something useful with the dials, haha.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I put one in the V1 slot of my DSL40CR @ScottyBGoode.
The ECC823 does tame the Ultra channels somewhat, but don't expect a miracle.
You will get back about 2 notches on the Gain dial before the gain is too much again.
Still can't use Gain @ 10 with my Humbuckers.
But Singles may be different.
But it will allow you to use less gain at the lower reaches of the Ultra Gain dial.
And fine tuning of the Ultra gain will be easier.

You only have to re-bias when changing power tubes.

And, be sure to get the ECC823 BTW.
They are harder to find than the mirror image ECC832.
The ECC832 will tame the clean channel too.

Last edited: