EMG or Seymour blackouts

• Thread starter Paramedic006
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
My problem is I've always used duncans. I have cruised Dimarzio and the bare knuckles sites. The DP100 looks like it's what I'm looking for but the bare knuckle pickups look $&@? Sweet. Are they that expensive cuz they are hand wound.

That, and the fact they are cream of the crop contribute to the high price. I've never heard a bad word uttered about them honestly.

Paramedic006

Reaction score
Ok chuck I'll bite. Why are they the cream of the crop? Since I'm not familiar with, what would be the equivalent to the super distortion? I see the website. Have you ever used them. I am interested for sure.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
Ok chuck I'll bite. Why are they the cream of the crop? Since I'm not familiar with, what would be the equivalent to the super distortion? I see the website. Have you ever used them. I am interested for sure.

Well now I'll feel bad because I honestly have never owned them, but they seem far and beyond the most widely praised pickups that I come across on any forums. I am not familiar with the super distortion, but would imagine any of their "Vintage Hot" pickups would do the trick for ya.

I would wait for some people with firsthand experience to bite because my word is just what I've heard from others. I'm sure they rock though and are on my "to buy" list!

Paramedic006

Reaction score
Thanks chuck. I'll check out the specs on the site. Then I'll go to Dimarzio and see what the DP100 has for specs.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
Thanks chuck. I'll check out the specs on the site. Then I'll go to Dimarzio and see what the DP100 has for specs.

Cool deal. The big thing I noticed is that all of BKP's vintage hot's are alcino magnets whereas the DP100 is Ceramic. The "Miracle Man" by BKP is ceramic, but it is hotter than what you would want I think. What do you think dissect??? You've owned both haha

Paramedic006

Reaction score
I actually just looked at their site. It looks like the Pain killer will get me there. With raw nickel cover, ya baby.

Angrycolon

Reaction score
I've been using that JB pickup in my '85 Les Paul Standard since I bought it new. I've covered the bands you've mentioned with no problem with harshness. I use two '77 JMP Marshall's (stock) and if I ever needed a little gain boost I stomp the Tube Screamer, now replaced by a COT-50. I do roll off the treble a little more than people I've played with. Could that harshness, (in your words), be inherent of the less mass of the SG itself? But I have used and loved EMG too!

Paramedic006

Reaction score
It could be. The LP weighs quite a bit more and to my ears the SG is a little brighter over the darker LP sound. I'm looking into the bare knuckle nail bomb or pain killer but I haven't ruled out the super distortion. What's a good neck pickup to mate with it?

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
here check these out. me>guitar with EMG 85's>bad monkey volume boost (no gain)>Framus Dragon and mesa cabs with v30's and g12t-75s
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennYcxsNJCU]YouTube - jen0mstr-edit[/ame]
^song of mine
next is just random riffs.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7dJRXAcOm8]YouTube - random metal riffs 75s2.wmv[/ame]
first is V30's and second is 75's

newbies

Reaction score
i am a emg guy too, i never used to be though..... I have a eclipse with 60/81 i really like the 60. I also have a les paul with 85/81. Playing on the 81 with both guitars the les paul sounds way better than the eclipse with same amp settings.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i love the 85b/60n (the alnico) or 85b/89n. and the X series i want the same variants of. i'm 50/50 on actives. i love my aforementioned but, i love me some passives as wlel. i am a total WHORE other than with......uh.....crap i think i'm just a total whore gear wise. i am pretty content with the dragon though. i'm actualy looking at 2 dragons and 2 cobras then a slew of marshalls and calling it a day with my rigs. the dragon/cobras will be coupled as my metal lead/rhythm and a backup. and the marshalls will be for everything but, the tight modern metal (until i get the JVM and DSL again) but, yeah those will be my metal rigs and mainly studio rigs. live will undoubtedly always be marshall somewhere in there. I'm really thinking about getting a nice MKIII instead of the DSL in a couple months

sorry i jacked the thread....anyway. yeah i can't speak for blackouts at all but, all my vids use EMG 85's. not modded for 18v yet cuz i'm procrastinating (getting other gear really) in a solid mahogany and ebony board guitar. i put a new one up as well. it's the rhythm track for a song i am working on.

Paramedic006

Reaction score
I don't think you jacked the thread disect. I'm actually taking in all the threads. I watched your vids a couple of times and I do like the sound of the EMG's through the 30's. I may end up settling on a super distortion but I'm not sure what neck pickup would be good with it. Maybe something a little more vintage sounding to give myself some good variation.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you jacked the thread disect. I'm actually taking in all the threads. I watched your vids a couple of times and I do like the sound of the EMG's through the 30's. I may end up settling on a super distortion but I'm not sure what neck pickup would be good with it. Maybe something a little more vintage sounding to give myself some good variation.
i like using the distortion with a 59 or a jazz in the neck actualy. absolutely love those pups.

MetalGuitarGuy17

Reaction score
I´ve got the original AHB-1 Blackouts in a Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wylde Signature Custom, tuned to C, and these things roar!! I think the mahogany body suits the EQ of the Blackouts very well, it really boosts the low end and low mids of the guitar and makes every chord you hit thick and massive, like a freakin skyscraper!! Since the SG also features a mahogany body, there´s no question. Blackouts. End of story. They also seem to love low tunings :) :headbanger::headbanger:

BobPeabody67

Reaction score
EMG. Period. I've got a 85 in my Soloist, a 81/85 set in my Dinky, two 85's in my San Dimas, a 81 and I think a SA in my black Vandenberg. Or whatever EMG's big single coil was in the late 80's. And same with the pink Vandenberg, but those were never hooked up. All of them have noise cut down by them. (The red Vandenberg has the stock pickups so I can compare EMG vs. Stock.) My San Dimas has grounding issues though. You just get hiss until you touch anything metal on the guitar. Otherwise, they are all beautiful sounding, clean cleans, and gritty distortion. Plus they look good. And if you get a custom shop with EMGs they can just paint over them, although I always thought that looked dumb...:dude:

Latest posts