Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings

• Thread starter Strateuphoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlFoSwzoD-A]John Petrucci Play Tests The New Ernie Ball Cobalt Electric Guitar Strings - YouTube[/ame]

lol some, shitty tone going on there. ^

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxyW5osj2IE]Ernie Ball Cobalt Guitar String Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

see the different camera angles when they talk, you know they're serious. no bs ppl

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
They definitely brightened up the tone of my guitar. At first I wasn't sold on the sound, but I was using an MC412. Then I got my new 1x12 with a much better speaker, and I am extremely happy with the tone. My RG tends to be a bit darker, and now it has better bite. The feel of them is great IMO. They kind of feel broke in already.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
I remember some years ago the nickel coating got thinner and they wear out and rust much faster these days for some reason. Anyway I'll try these out soon and update my findings here.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
Love 'em. Use the Hybrid set (9-46). Seem to hold their "new" tones a tad longer than the traditional EB Slinkys. Definitely fell nice under the fingers. Recently put a set of regular Hybird Slinkys on the Strat after the Cobalts to get a better grasp on the difference, if any (have used standard EB Hyrbid Slinkys for years). Standard EBs felt a bit rough & were stiffer - were somewhat brighter, but it a almost bad way. Cobalts are very bright, but not in a harsh way. Went back to Cobalts after a couple of days. Sticking w. Cobalts for the forseeable future.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
I use Hybrids (9-46) aswell :dude:, this story about the cobalt having more pull from the magnet, would I need to lower the pickups?
stratitus?

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I didn't lower mine. Ant they are on some pretty hot MHD humbuckers, a8 mag in the bridge, can't remember the neck mag right now.

bolt22

Reaction score
Cobalts have some very good qualities!! Like anything else, they have a "certain" fit in the endless world of tone, and may very well be the perfect fit.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
I use Hybrids (9-46) aswell :dude:, this story about the cobalt having more pull from the magnet, would I need to lower the pickups?
stratitus?

While the magnetic pull will be more, it is incrementally so. Had no need to lower my pups or noticed any intonation issues. But thru an amp, most notably when playing clean, the Cobalts do have a bit more punch. I find they sound great & seem to stay sounding nice for a rather decent amount of time - it is the feel of them under the fingers that attracts me the most

Led4thehed2

Reaction score
I'm using the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set at the moment and they're the best sounding strings I've ever played. Very bright, added some bottom end, but without being flubby. I was instantly impressed.

SRD

Reaction score
I'm using the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set at the moment and they're the best sounding strings I've ever played. Very bright, added some bottom end, but without being flubby. I was instantly impressed.

I'm using the same packs and I'm very happy with the improved sound I'm getting.

:applause: