• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Euronymous...

• Thread starter cadaver_occulta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
Does anyone know specifically what model of Marshall that Euronymous used with Mayhem? His tone is frickin SICK on Dawn of the Blackhearts, and I know he used some sort of Distortion and a Tube Screamer, all played through a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but I cannot find what Model Marshall he used, because any information you could possibly come across about him all deals with his ideology...:wtf: Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have no clue but I have been curious too. Today I realized how much I was missing out by using a distortion in front of my clean channel, the real good tone was with just using the overdrive channel with no pedal (makes everything not sound digital). As far Euronymous I would guess he used tube distortion from the amp and also used a pedal to get the muddy sound. I know we discussed Death the other day and someone said they used solid state amps. Maybe asking at some black metal forum you could find the information you need because I don't know if any body here will know. Like I said though I'm interested in what these black and death metal players use because it is definitely different so if you find out report back.

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
I have asked EVERYWHERE, and all I can seem to get is a bunch of "why bother?" questions in return...that and constant advertisments (yes, as replies in forums) for the DOD Death Metal:wtf: Honestly, the man was a great guitarist, but WAY too caught up in his beliefs...I think it's a shame that with all the "interviews" you can find of him, not one decided to break away from form and inquire upon his live setup aside from the theatrical elements!

I say again...:wtf:

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
Oh my god, I've been thinking the same thing. His tone on Deathcrush is literally the heaviest sounding guitar I have ever heard.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Euronymous used a JCM800 with just some sort of distortion. Most of the heavy shit in the 80's is all boosted JCM800s. Chuck Shuldiner didn't start using Valvestates until the 90's and by that time Death wasn't doing the thrash thing.

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
I seem to recall a picture of him, playing live (it might not even be him) but he was wearing a celtic frost shirt and you could see his Marshall stack behind him, I think it was a plexi...but as for which one, I don't know...:(

I could be wrong tho...

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
I'm alost positive he used a JCM800. This is straight off Wikipedia, but it sounds about right...

Euronymous played a Standard sunburst Gibson Les Paul guitar, which can be seen in many pictures of him playing. He stated in various interviews that his main guitar influences were bands such as Venom, Bathory, Slayer, Celtic Frost/Hellhammer, and Sodom. He played through a slightly modified Marshall JCM800 tube amp and used an Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal as well as a Metal Master distortion pedal to create a unique sound

Definately try that gear, I bet you will get that thick heavy fucking mayhem sound.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Maybe he added another preamp tube or jumped the channels. I doubt it was that huge of a mod. You would think that anyone in mayhem would just turn to ten and play lol.

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
Oh well...I wonder what went with his guitar after he was killed...not important...sorry...but thanx for the replys, so far, this is more help than I have EVER gotten from any forum on this subject!

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
How long has the Metal Master distortion been out because we might be able to count that out if it wasn't even out when he was alive. It's most likely he used the tube screamer because that's the standard for boosting tube amps.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
I don't think the mod will have much of an effect on getting the sound....
Those pedals should get you pretty damn close.

Are we even thinking of the same sound here.... I haven't listened to DOTBH for a long time. When I think Euronymous I think of that heavy ass chugging intro to Necrolust.

Evil.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
^Well the mods wouldn't be that big of a deal as long as its not to crazy. Sounds like the main sound is coming from his 800 with tube screamer and humbuckers. Not sure what kind of pickups they were or what speakers he used but if you had those three things that you would probably be in the ballpark. That being said he actually just used a killer amp like a lot of other players... Lol he probably just forgot the noise gate...

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
I don't think the mod will have much of an effect on getting the sound....
Those pedals should get you pretty damn close.

Are we even thinking of the same sound here.... I haven't listened to DOTBH for a long time. When I think Euronymous I think of that heavy ass chugging intro to Necrolust.

Evil.

I'm talkin about DOTBH...I love that tone, It's was so razor-effing-sharp!...Honestly, It sounds like maybe there was chorus effect on there, and the distortion is slightly reminiscent of a Big Muff, perhaps maybe THAT could have been his distortion of choice along with his Tube Screamer (That's also calling everyone else's information wrong, so I'm probably the one who is wrong here) But the tone is freekin heavy for someone who didn't detune!! :headbanger:

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
^Well the mods wouldn't be that big of a deal as long as its not to crazy. Sounds like the main sound is coming from his 800 with tube screamer and humbuckers. Not sure what kind of pickups they were or what speakers he used but if you had those three things that you would probably be in the ballpark. That being said he actually just used a killer amp like a lot of other players... Lol he probably just forgot the noise gate...

I'll bet it wasn't even modded. If he cared enough about his tone to have his amp modified, then he would have talked more about his equipment instead of about being evil...thats just how i look at it

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
I listened to the exact song you were referring to and you could easily achieve that with any Marshall with tubes. What gear do you have right now? I think the main thing that makes their guitar sound so amazing is just the way they play it. I have no idea how to play black metal so I don't even know where to start lol.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bet it wasn't even modded. If he cared enough about his tone to have his amp modified, then he would have talked more about his equipment instead of about being evil...thats just how i look at it

I agree. Slightly modded probably meant new tubes to some of those guys. More than likely it was a 2203 and not a 2204.

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
I listened to the exact song you were referring to and you could easily achieve that with any Marshall with tubes. What gear do you have right now? I think the main thing that makes their guitar sound so amazing is just the way they play it. I have no idea how to play black metal so I don't even know where to start lol.

I have a Marshall MG half stack (yea...I is po') and a Peavey Windsor head (better than the MG and I'm considering modding it...)...I can still get close to his Deathcrush tone with my Soviet Big Muff, and Wylde OD...but I think the newer Big Muff might be able to get closer (cause it has that "Tone Wicker" effect)...that said, I could still be wrong, cause i havent tried it yet...Perhaps he was using a Metal Master on DOTBH, and some heavy chorus...@ least that's that's my impression...

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Sounds good and may be but I think your amps distortion would sound better and more realistic to what he used. Remember that the only way people could get this type of sound (back in the day) is with overdrive. Maybe try boosting the gain channel. If he used a 800, I'm positive he used a pedal booster and not a distortion pedal. The tone sounds too muddy. I love your playing. Try using an overdrive and make another video, it would be interesting to hear.