• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ever have a particular sound that almost forces you to change?

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

end user

Reaction score
Been dubbing around a lot lately with my P-90 loaded Hagstrom and the tones I get from it are just mind blowing when it comes to greasy, dirty, filthy like early Stooges type tones but more high def if you catch my drift. I am having the time of my life just riffing on chords and I can't remember the last time I had this much fun just dubbing around at home.

Sounds great with a band too. I used it (Hagstrom) at rehearsal last night and it fit in the mix so well and sounded so nasty in a good way but cleaned up easily.

Lost track of time today and next thing I know, 4 hrs have gone by. It got me to wanting to write songs with those specific tones. It's even making me feel like this is the tone and style I should have been playing all along. Just feels like home. I know it sounds corny but it's true.

Ever had similar happen? Where a particular set of tones are just so good it makes you want to only play the style it sounds best with?

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
Yea...a got a LP Jr couple months ago and have been playing the piss out of it. Its like with P90s there is a clarity that HBs do not have yet much more thickness and heft than any strat single coil.
For the southern rock style Im currently playing this thing suites me very well. Though there are still times I want a HB and spots for my strats too. Each have thier strong points that bring out certain things I play.
But the barking grind the Jr has is awesome and it cleans up better than any HB I have.

end user

Reaction score
pics. what model?

This is a stock photo but it's XL-2P Ultralux. Very unique guitar. Has their resin fretboard and 24 frets. Excellent sustain and plays so smooth.

hagstrom-electric-guitar-hagstrom-left-handed-xl2p-electric-guitar-14652907649_2048x.jpg

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
This is a stock photo but it's XL-2P Ultralux. Very unique guitar. Has their resin fretboard and 24 frets. Excellent sustain and plays so smooth.

hagstrom-electric-guitar-hagstrom-left-handed-xl2p-electric-guitar-14652907649_2048x.jpg

i like hagstrom. i have a ultra swede that plays stupidly nice. lespaul cut, ibanez thin neck, custom wiring,
and the case is even nice as hell too lol. score out the door for $250. ran to the car with it.

end user

Reaction score
i like hagstrom. i have a ultra swede that plays stupidly nice. lespaul cut, ibanez thin neck, custom wiring,
and the case is even nice as hell too lol. score out the door for $250. ran to the car with it.

That is a killer deal! I would have done the same. I am hoping to run in to one of those some day. Hagstrom is one of the few companies that seem to actually care about making left handed models so I have a couple. My other one is a D2H in black sparkle.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
That is a killer deal! I would have done the same. I am hoping to run in to one of those some day. Hagstrom is one of the few companies that seem to actually care about making left handed models so I have a couple. My other one is a D2H in black sparkle.

yes it was. i call it my gibson studio killer. because it is/does.
might do a pup swap someday though.

RCM 800

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought a 335 a long time ago (like '05 I think) and they were running a special and threw a single p90 melody maker in for free. 335 was great but that MM just killed. Ugly, looked like it was painted with black tar, but it played great and just had the most killer attack and tone. Sadly my buddy threw it in on a deal and didnt even let me know he was selling it. I still keep my eye out for them but either they arent common or people dont let them go. A p90 guitar is like number two on my list of next guitars to get.

end user

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought a 335 a long time ago (like '05 I think) and they were running a special and threw a single p90 melody maker in for free. 335 was great but that MM just killed. Ugly, looked like it was painted with black tar, but it played great and just had the most killer attack and tone. Sadly my buddy threw it in on a deal and didnt even let me know he was selling it. I still keep my eye out for them but either they arent common or people dont let them go. A p90 guitar is like number two on my list of next guitars to get.

335 is on my list. I may go with something cheaper first cos I have never had a hollow body electric so not sure I will dig it. I have to go mail order cos there are next to no lefties in the shops out here.

RCM 800

Reaction score
335 is on my list. I may go with something cheaper first cos I have never had a hollow body electric so not sure I will dig it. I have to go mail order cos there are next to no lefties in the shops out here.
lol I might try an epi dot or an artcore before I fully commit. 335 type is like #4 on my list of future guitars. Might just build one. Looking at Gretsch's also.

end user

Reaction score

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Been dubbing around a lot lately with my P-90 loaded Hagstrom and the tones I get from it are just mind blowing when it comes to greasy, dirty, filthy like early Stooges type tones but more high def if you catch my drift. I am having the time of my life just riffing on chords and I can't remember the last time I had this much fun just dubbing around at home.

Sounds great with a band too. I used it (Hagstrom) at rehearsal last night and it fit in the mix so well and sounded so nasty in a good way but cleaned up easily.

Lost track of time today and next thing I know, 4 hrs have gone by. It got me to wanting to write songs with those specific tones. It's even making me feel like this is the tone and style I should have been playing all along. Just feels like home. I know it sounds corny but it's true.

Ever had similar happen? Where a particular set of tones are just so good it makes you want to only play the style it sounds best with?
I have recently become very fond of the p90.
Of course I posted in another thread the Noventa , their price is a little proud being an import. It doesn’t lack playability but for not much mote I could get a USA guitar ?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...eO3z-7ati-GwRmEFr7hoCwdYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
Was it shaped like a LP JR but with the straight melody maker headstock and thin body?? If so it was called a LP Jr melody maker....I had one it was a cool guitar I stupidly sold it. Mine was 2004 and I think that was a one year run.
I do know when I sold it on ebay, I had some @sshole tell me he was gonna report me for trying to sell a fraud melody maker as a LP JR, that there was no such thing,...... till I pulled up the wikipedia.....he shut up.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Was it shaped like a LP JR but with the straight melody maker headstock and thin body?? If so it was called a LP Jr melody maker....I had one it was a cool guitar I stupidly sold it. Mine was 2004 and I think that was a one year run.
I do know when I sold it on ebay, I had some @sshole tell me he was gonna report me for trying to sell a fraud melody maker as a LP JR, that there was no such thing,...... till I pulled up the wikipedia.....he shut up.

Isnt the joan jett model clost to the same?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Just today I brought a 1964 Fender Vibrolux amp back from the dead. It definitely has a sound to it that nothing else I've ever had can duplicate. Dare I say it, it's an amp that might make me enjoy single coil pickups. Playing it makes me play differently, and do things with the guitar I don't usually do.

I'll be selling the amp after taking care of all the details about it, but by the time I get to that point I may be reluctant to sell it. It IS a very cool amp.