Everything and Anything About Speakers

• Thread starter MartyStrat54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rykus

Reaction score
well after much deliberation i decided i would go with the black mountain speakers for my 2x12 build. i have a pile of sweet maple coming in and a phaez dumble/jtm clone using 6v6 power section! i still have a couple sets of NOS tubes from the silvertone my mom threw out when i was younger.... can't wait! i'm going to try and do an oversize cab and port it, so i can get good bass and lift the speakers up abit so they project... i even thought of doing a top cab style but i think i may have to offset the speakers depending how the wood dimensions work out, anyways i'll post up pics when it starts getting interesting!

MM54

Reaction score
My meter may be a bit or a lot out of calibration, but nonetheless, thanks Marty! Is it just linear like that, every doubling of watts is a 3dB increase? I thought there was more to it, but I'm probably wrong :lol:

(Keeping in mind this was 1W/ch, so two sets of speakers (JBL L-150's) getting their watt)

gabe9842

Reaction score
Hi!

Im looking for a used Marshall 1960 av cabinet somewhere around Bristol or Taunton, UK.
If anyone knows someone who wants to sell a cab like this in good condition and with wheels and loaded with v30's, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Gabe

Ewlman

Reaction score
Hi!
Great thread, this forum's the best!

Has anyone tried combining the Celestion G12T-75 & the G12H? I really like the sound of the G12H and I would like to introduce some smooth & sweet mids to my sound. What do you think guys?

btw. I'm playing a Les Paul through my -87 2555...:dude:

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
Hi!
Great thread, this forum's the best!

Has anyone tried combining the Celestion G12T-75 & the G12H? I really like the sound of the G12H and I would like to introduce some smooth & sweet mids to my sound. What do you think guys?

btw. I'm playing a Les Paul through my -87 2555...:dude:

I think that a G12T-75 is the last speaker I would pick to add smooth and sweet mids to my sound. That speaker is quite scooped in the mids to my ear

Ewlman

Reaction score
I think that a G12T-75 is the last speaker I would pick to add smooth and sweet mids to my sound. That speaker is quite scooped in the mids to my ear

Woops!:wow: I might not have been as clear as I should have... I'm thinking of putting two G12H in each my 1960 cabs to sweaten it up.

Last edited:

Ewlman

Reaction score
I like the G12H and the G12-65. That's a good mix.

Hmmm, well if I going to change all the speakers in my stack I'll have to give up beer drinking for quite some time... What would G12-65s paired with G12T-75s sound like? I've previously tried to find decent demos of the G12-65s but without any success.

The thing is: I play both high gain death/trash metal and classic rock 'n' roll, I use different amps but the same cabs. The G12T-75s work great for death/trash but they're lacking those rockin' mids.

:hmm:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
If you have them, try them. Let your ears be the judge. Personally, I am not a big fan of G12T-75's. However, Marshall has used a boatload of them in their cabinets.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I wouldn't pair up G12-65's with G12T-75's. I can appreciate that you are on a budget. Trying out speakers can be very expensive. I spent over $2000 early last summer on speakers to experiment with. The best overall cabinet I came up with is the Eminence Black Powder mixed with some Tonespotters. This is the fattest, sweetest tone I have found. The only drawback is that these speakers only come in 8 ohm, so a 412 cab is 8 ohm. I don't use a full stack, so this is a win-win for me.

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
Woops!:wow: I might not have been as clear as I should have... I thinking of putting two G12H in each my 1960 cabs to sweaten it up.

OK, that I can support as a good option. Just about anything would help with the mids of the 75's in that case. I am not a fan of V30's alone but the big mids of a V30 might be a good match with the 75's but I have never tries

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
I wouldn't pair up G12-65's with G12T-75's. I can appreciate that you are on a budget. Trying out speakers can be very expensive. I spent over $2000 early last summer on speakers to experiment with. The best overall cabinet I came up with is the Eminence Black Powder mixed with some Tonespotters. This is the fattest, sweetest tone I have found. The only drawback is that these speakers only come in 8 ohm, so a 412 cab is 8 ohm. I don't use a full stack, so this is a win-win for me.

I am looking for a tonespotter myself for my ISO cab. I like its overdriven sound a great deal. Texas Heats for cleans. I think something like the classic lead 80 might be a good option as well

Ewlman

Reaction score

Well, you might have a good point there; pairing up G12-65's with speakers roughly half their price maybe wouldn't be that fair to those G12-65's... :hmm: Ideally I would have two stacks - one vintage and one more modern sounding. I guess I'll have two rob a bank (since when is that illegal anyway?) or save up some money and split up my full stack into two half stacks... :Ohno:

Btw. there's a downloadable soundclip or something on Celestions homepage demoing the G12-65 speakers... When looking for something it's always in the most obvious place you can't think of :shock:

Ewlman

Reaction score
OK, that I can support as a good option. Just about anything would help with the mids of the 75's in that case. I am not a fan of V30's alone but the big mids of a V30 might be a good match with the 75's but I have never tries

Yeah, I've thought of pairing up with some V30s too... the V30s I've heard sounded kinda sharp and edgy in the upper mids though, it may have been because they were not broken in yet (played through for approx. 3-5 h).

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marty have you taken a listen to these WGS G12C speakers yet?

https://wgs4.com/content/g12c

Usually I go for the British flavored speaker but these clips have a great crunch go'n on. Lead notes sound great too. What ya think?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh! This Alnico sounds bad ass too! A lot like the G12C ceramic only much more espensive. $76 compared to the Alnico's $225. I'm think'n between these 2 I could be happy with the Ceramic...LOL!

I'm not buy'n. Just listen'n...

https://wgs4.com/content/g12a

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well the "C" sounds pretty good for a small magnet, seamed cone speaker. The "A" doesn't justify its price. I've heard better alnico speakers, but it's not bad. I think $76 for the "C" might be a tad too high for what they are. In that price range, I like the Eminence Legends series, but then you know I like Eminence.

:fingersx::naughty::fingersx:

Hillcountry

Reaction score
Alright...I have officially given up on the Wizards...

But, since I love the Cannabis Rex so much, I am going to pull the trigger on two Canis Major speakers. Hemp cone with AlNiCo compression. I think that will have to be it for a while though. The JTM-45 with the CR is really a sweet combo. So we'll see what happens with the CM. They should be in by the end of the week.

-Hillcountry

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Wow! You are going high dollar aren't you? I would like to try the Black Mountains out, but I blew a lot of cash on speakers already.

What made you dislike the Wizards? Harshness?

Hillcountry

Reaction score
Yeah...they are way to harsh. Instant ear fatigue. I guess they are not a good match with the JTM45. I'll keep them around and try to break them in as much as I can, but they do not pair well with that amp. Strangely, with a Strat, it sounded OK at lower volumes, but the Les Paul sounded awful. So they have got to go. MF has the Canis Major for 185, which seems like a good price so I thought I'd go for those. We'll see what my wife thinks. I want to compare them to the Cannabis Rex. The CRs sound great with the JTM and I was thinking the CMs would sound better. I sold off a bunch of stuff to finance the purchase otherwise I would not have bought them.

Now I wait for the delivery!
-Hillcountry

Latest posts