EVH 5150 Iconic 80 watt surprise.

• Thread starter Minegoto11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pittbull

Reaction score
Solarburn yes the echoplex but the mxr 6 band and the boss ge10 had more push,Solar how’s the Iconic holding up.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solarburn yes the echoplex but the mxr 6 band and the boss ge10 had more push,Solar how’s the Iconic holding up.
Great man. Still using the green od channel mostly. Play it at volume 98% of the time and ole girl fire's up every time.

I just got done playing my 100 watt 4 holer and then the Iconic green OD. Lots of similar DNA between the 2. Was closer than i thought. The Iconic might be a mix of JCM 800/Plexi. Regardless i was boosting the plexi and going straight in on the Iconic.lol

Last edited:

Captngeetch

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. We all have a friend like that don’t we ? Lol. “Mines just a little bit better”, “I got mine just a little but cheaper” etc. I have a friend just like yours. Also have a brother who has unlimited funds and listens to every word when I talk about gear I like and would love to purchase (I’m on perm disability & a strict fixed budget). The following week he’s got it. We both started playing at the same time as kids. I stuck with it, played the clubs in the 80’s and then had a second round in the early 2000’s. He picked it back up around then and now has about 15 different guitars and a couple amps & a 2x12 cab (that I was gonna but at a pawn shop we went to when I was down south visiting him). I own 6 or 7 guitars but have several tube amps and cabs, so at least I got him on something lol. For now. And mine are just a little bit better

Thevenin

Reaction score
For the Iconic owners here; would you buy the 80W head at 1/4 power or 15W head if it existed for home use? The preamps are the same, just one power tube instead of four.
I've been tempted by the 80W head.

Minegoto11

Reaction score
Stacked up over LaGuardia and not comin down
For the Iconic owners here; would you buy the 80W head at 1/4 power or 15W head if it existed for home use? The preamps are the same, just one power tube instead of four.
I don't know about the 15w, but the 80W head has a "power soak" switch that knocks it down to 1/4 power.

Minegoto11

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. We all have a friend like that don’t we ? Lol. “Mines just a little bit better”, “I got mine just a little but cheaper” etc. I have a friend just like yours. Also have a brother who has unlimited funds and listens to every word when I talk about gear I like and would love to purchase (I’m on perm disability & a strict fixed budget). The following week he’s got it. We both started playing at the same time as kids. I stuck with it, played the clubs in the 80’s and then had a second round in the early 2000’s. He picked it back up around then and now has about 15 different guitars and a couple amps & a 2x12 cab (that I was gonna but at a pawn shop we went to when I was down south visiting him). I own 6 or 7 guitars but have several tube amps and cabs, so at least I got him on something lol. For now. And mine are just a little bit better
I miss the rock clubs, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one around here. Open mic nights also, monday-friday.. If we didn't have a gig, we were rehearsing, if we weren't rehearsing, I was at an open mic night... If I wasn't at an open mic night I was at a strip club. I had a friend with unlimited funds for gear, his family was loaded and bought him whatever he wanted. I distanced myself from him when he started smoking crack , I heard he wound up selling everything when his parents cut him off. He died a few years ago with a crack pipe in one hand and a lighter in the other, so I was told anyway.

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I don't believe the 15 watters have a noise gate. I know for sure that the 15 watt combo doesn't.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer bigger iron amps. Sound so much better and more rewarding to play. Even at lower volume. My home play is where i get to play the loudest so have no need for lower wattage amps.

Having said that the 15 watt Iconic combo sounds great. If wattage was a concern due to volume constraints? Would definitely get a version of it.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the 15 watters have a noise gate. I know for sure that the 15 watt combo doesn't.
Also the noise gait only works on the red channel on 80/40 watters. And it only works a bit. Outside gate much better option.

pittbull

Reaction score
I’m playing a gig as we speak just checking my phone( 10 min break) and the Marshall forum poped up the 80 watt with the 1/4 switch will take you down unless your in a condolence home will drop the volume down low, anyway I have two smoking females that want to shoot a couple Jameson shots which I will partake in take the 80 watt trust me CHEERS brothers,Solar burn that bitch up Man 👍👍

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m playing a gig as we speak just checking my phone( 10 min break) and the Marshall forum poped up the 80 watt with the 1/4 switch will take you down unless your in a condolence home will drop the volume down low, anyway I have two smoking females that want to shoot a couple Jameson shots which I will partake in take the 80 watt trust me CHEERS brothers,Solar burn that bitch up Man 👍👍
You know I will!

Go get them ladies situated. :naughty:

Minegoto11

Reaction score
Great man. Still using the green od channel mostly. Play it at volume 98% of the time and ole girl fire's up every time.

I just got done playing my 100 watt 4 holer and then the Iconic green OD. Lots of similar DNA between the 2. Was closer than i thought. The Iconic might be a mix of JCM 800/Plexi. Regardless i was boosting the plexi and going straight in on the Iconic.lol
Definitely some Plexi in the Iconic gene pool. I recorded a few tracks with the Iconic and then with a 1987x and confused them more than once.

Minegoto11

Reaction score
I miss Jameson.... I'm allergic to it... Every time I drink it I break out in handcuffs :drunk:

cccc

Reaction score
Just went to Sweetwater to see if there are reviews of the 15 watt Iconic and as is usually the case it's STILL way too loud . These companies that keep making 5 , 10, 15 , 20 watt etc.. amps don't have a clue to what late night bedroom jammers want .

15 watts of bliss...​

I love this amp, warm clean tones along with a beautiful high gain channel. Very versatile with the overdrive switch for the clean channel and the burn switch on the high gain channel. I would recommend this amp for any genre of music. The only drawback is that it is so loud and powerful. Do not expect the 1/4 watt ouptut feature to tame this amp if you live in an apartment or have noise concerns. You will need a good attenuator to use this amp quietly. Overall, I remain impressed and inspired by this amp and would encourage anyone to consider it. close
by Jonathan R Armstrong on January 12, 2024

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just went to Sweetwater to see if there are reviews of the 15 watt Iconic and as is usually the case it's STILL way too loud . These companies that keep making 5 , 10, 15 , 20 watt etc.. amps don't have a clue to what late night bedroom jammers want .
I see you are specific with "late night bedroom jammers" qualifier. I can turn my 80 watter all the way down to whisper level. Im sure the 15 watters volume goes that quiet too.

Is it a matter of the wattage level or is there a problem with setting the amps volume at a quiet level? I can hear my string noise more over my amp through the speakers if i set volume low enough.

My dislike for the lower wattage amps is they sound small. Even at volume. Leaves me feeling meh. Thats because i get to play big amps at a desirable sound level where i live. With me out of the room down the hallway in the living room using wireless so i dont kill my ears from close proximity sound pressure.

Minegoto11

Reaction score
I can drop the 80 w down pretty low in 1/4 power, lower than I can get my Plexis with an attenuator.