EVH demos new amp - The new Brown

• Thread starter Swede
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
This amp is just another cash grab. Current 5150III owners will find themselves saying "oh yeh come to think of it I could use a bit more gain and yeh if Channel 2 sounded like Channel 3 it would be the ducks nuts! Oh and I always needed a resonance knob for each channel so I better go and put a deposit down before the first run sells out"...

Pure marketing 101..

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't liked his tone since VH1 & 2.

However...that was a quickie demo greased by his phaser. Ain't no way showed me anything else other than that tone. Which my ears didn't perk over. I'm sure it works fine in the band. It sure as shit isn't a bad sounding amp. Bet I could get some stuff I like out of it.

I do not want though.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had the chance to check out the vid... Does it sound better than Zakk's raw demo of the Wylde Audio amps?

Well to me it doesn't sound any different that the original 5150iii so if you have heard that amp then you don't really need to hear this. The nuances of the differences are probably only noticed in the room when A/Bing both amps.

4Horseman

Reaction score
I wasn't really hearing brown, but I enjoyed the video of a legend talking gear. I wouldn't mind more clips without effects. Thanks for posting Swede.

shredless

Reaction score
why the electrical tape over his bridge pickup?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I like the amp but even though he was big in So Cal , I was just not in that seen.
I like his work and I like the amp. He is a an enigma a puzzle and the tone was and is quite sought after.
I am just happy with my JMD-1 !

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I like the amp but even though he was big in So Cal , I was just not in that seen.
I like his work and I like the amp. He is a an enigma a puzzle and the tone was and is quite sought after.
I am just happy with my JMD-1 !
w/ my JMD:1, I can get some sounds just like his (VHI), in the room. Not that that translates to recorded sound, but, I bet I could get it on tape if I turned down the gain, got the right reverb & added a tad of flange...

sgstratdude

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an EVH 5150iii so I'll definitely have to check it out. Kinda disappointed he found out back in 2012 he didn't want to tour with a stock 5150iii (that is his sig amp btw :/ ) and kept touting how great it was letting people think he was touring with an off the shelf 5150iii. Oh well... still a good amp.

So the 5150iiiS is any 5150iii looking amp he's gigged since 2012. At least there are a lot of videos of it in use.

frankyfal

Reaction score
Great gimmick having him play all VH tunes. Channel 2 and 3 having the same voicing, the external bias points and pot plus the 3 resonance pots are compelling me to play this thing even though I don't need another head. I would imagine I won't be able to raise the gain above 2 for my tastes, but this and the Peavey classic 20 mini head are my next experiments. :shred:

BowerR64

Reaction score
I would imagine I won't be able to raise the gain above 2 for my tastes, but this and the Peavey classic 20 mini head are my next experiments. :shred:

Yes

Is he chasing tone or the never ending amount of gain?