Falling out of love with effects

• Thread starter FennRx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zachman

Reaction score
O.o
Was the gig on the curb?
:cool:

I agree w/ Zach. Effects are tools. But also understand the sentiment of the OP. Sometimes less is more and lesser is even better. Sometimes.

Absolutely!! Just because one has many options, does NOT mean they must ALWAYS be exercised. :dude:

Dmann

Reaction score
O.o
Was the gig on the curb?
:cool:

Some of the venues we play are actually pretty big for just being a cover band (500 people sometimes), but all of them have an emergency exit right off the stage that double as a loading area for the bands.

All I'm saying is, the reality of having a bunch of gear due to an effects driven setup doesn't mean dis-organized and time consuming, unreliable, noisy, cheap sounding, or complicated, but for some reason a lot of un-educated people seem to think it does.

I think this thread is a perfect example of that.

zachman

Reaction score
Some of the venues we play are actually pretty big for just being a cover band (500 people sometimes), but all of them have an emergency exit right off the stage that double as a loading area for the bands.

All I'm saying is, the reality of having a bunch of gear due to an effects driven setup doesn't mean dis-organized and time consuming, unreliable, noisy, cheap sounding, or complicated, but for some reason a lot of un-educated people seem to think it does.

:cheers:

Reaction score
I prefer to just plug straight into a decent amp, not really into effects much. But I do use reverb on my amps, and OD sometimes. I have nothing against effects at all, but they seem like way more work and cost than I'd generally be willing to put in.
I dont gig though, and if you're in a cover band (or even an original band) I could easily see effects being a necessity with how many different sounds you'd have to cover.

zachman

Reaction score
I prefer to just plug straight into a decent amp, not really into effects much. But I do use reverb on my amps, and OD sometimes. I have nothing against effects at all, but they seem like way more work and cost than I'd generally be willing to put in.
I dont gig though, and if you're in a cover band (or even an original band) I could easily see effects being a necessity with how many different sounds you'd have to cover.

:cheers:

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
I love effect's when they are done right, I bot all kinds of stuff and used to really like figuring it all out! Now I'm very lazy and just use a Marshall head and a TC g major 2 for a lil reverb and delay!

I'm a hopeless gear head...but sometimes I feel some inspiration coming on and by the time I setup my recording gear, get the sound I want...I lose the inspiration I had 15 minutes earlier. Sometimes it's easier to just plug into my KK or another amp without a loop and actually PLAY, instead of messing around, I can't tell you how much time I wasted playing with effects rather than LEARNING how to play...I got a shit load of gear...and still stink....shame on me!

brp

Reaction score

Ya, I know what you mean, no worries.

Last weekend I got a couple new rack processors so I revamped my rack, put on some casters, wired everything in much tidier and completed a patchbay I had been piece mealing together.

DSCF0918sml.jpg
DSCF0912sml.jpg

Now I can pop any or all of my units into the Loop chain(s) in any conceivable order or combination with just a couple pulls of the short patchers. Simpler than some may think that it looks like and so versatile and convenient.
And of course pulling one patch means loop bypassed altogether and back to basics.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Ya, I know what you mean, no worries.

Last weekend I got a couple new rack processors so I revamped my rack, put on some casters, wired everything in much tidier and completed a patchbay I had been piece mealing together.

Now I can pop any or all of my units into the Loop chain(s) in any conceivable order or combination with just a couple pulls of the short patchers. Simpler than some may think that it looks like and so versatile and convenient.
And of course pulling one patch means loop bypassed altogether and back to basics.

:wow: :thumb: :applause:

Greyly

Reaction score
I first started playing guitar in 1981, since then I have had maybe ten pedals come and go, never kept them long - just a good guitar and a great amplifier has always been my recipe. So basically, after thirty years of playing guitar I am a newbie to effects pedals and want to experiment with them. The only pedal that I currently use is a Wampler Faux Analog Delay, but I plan to add a few more pedals.

Lots of pedals, no pedals, minimal pedals, your choice, its all good.

zachman

Reaction score
I first started playing guitar in 1981, since then I have had maybe ten pedals come and go, never kept them long - just a good guitar and a great amplifier has always been my recipe. So basically, after thirty years of playing guitar I am a newbie to effects pedals and want to experiment with them. The only pedal that I currently use is a Wampler Faux Analog Delay, but I plan to add a few more pedals.

Lots of pedals, no pedals, minimal pedals, your choice, its all good.

E X A C T L Y!!!!!

If I want an Angus Young vibe; a Marshall and an SG and there it is.

If It's: Robert Fripp, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Lukather, Michael Landau, The Edge, etc... then it could be-- anything goes, as far as gear selection, and configuration.

Nudge68

Reaction score
E X A C T L Y!!!!!

If I want an Angus Young vibe; a Marshall and an SG and there it is.

If It's: Robert Fripp, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Lukather, Michael Landau, The Edge, etc... then it could be-- anything goes, as far as gear selection, and configuration.

:thumb:

I was listening to Luke this morning... Ever Changing Times. The thing I like about him is that his usage doesnt overshadow his musical statement or somehow distract from what's going on. Like salt and pepper on a meal.

cheers,

Matt.

shades of blue

Reaction score
Last year, I had a large pedalboard with about 4 overdrives, 2 delays, reverb, wah, blah blah blah. Everything sounded nice and all, but I needed all that crap because I played into clean amps that I couldn't really push to get an overdrive tone I liked.

Fast forward to today, and I use a POD HD500. I sold all the pedals and "simplified" my setup. I use it as a pedal board into the front of my amps....or used to.

About a month ago I plugged into my C5 without the HD500 and it was unbelievable how much better it sounded without the HD500 sucking all the tone. I finally realized I needed an amp that did 90% of what I needed and decided to dump the HD500.

Right now, my guitar into my DSL100H is all I am using. I've got the HD500 laying around for when I need delay or modulation, but that is going into the effects loop.

I might pick up a TS9 or OCD and a boost to use in the front of the Marshall, but never again will I rely on so many effects.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I enjoy my wah, delay and reverb, sometimes chorus. But down to one OD pedal and I rarely use it anymore. Hell, most of the time I'm just using my wah into my amp these days. But, Im just a home wanker so I'm not trying to reproduce anything of great importance.

zachman

Reaction score
:thumb:

I was listening to Luke this morning... Ever Changing Times. The thing I like about him is that his usage doesnt overshadow his musical statement or somehow distract from what's going on. Like salt and pepper on a meal.

cheers,

Matt.

I saw an interview once w/ Luke-- talking about his gear and the point he made was it's not just the notes, but the sonic colors and textures that count, too.

madh4ttr

Reaction score
Never been much of an effects guy. Delay, Wah, and OD is about it. Since I got my Class 5, I have enjoyed just plugging straight in. I'll eventually try some pedals with it.

Have a HD POD400, and while I like it for recording, I have never used it with an amp.

zachman

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfxQ4QFM4M&feature=related]Adrian Belew: History & Future of Guitar Noise- Pt 2/3 - YouTube[/ame]

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
All I have left from many are a Boss equalizer and digital delay, neither of which I use anymore (or very rarely). I let my Marshall do the talkin'.

Cheers, Barrie.

FennRx

Reaction score
fast forward......i acquired this last month (for free from a MLP member:dude:)

and picked up these today :eek::D

the times they are a-changin' :wave: