Falling out of love with my DSL40C

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
In case anyone's noticed I've kind of shut up about it lately. The honeymoon is over and I'm really disappointed right now. I feel like I have to make this post in case someone is making a purchase based on anything I've said, because I LOVED it at first and ran my mouth all over the place.

I tried tubes and speakers and that's not it. I can't get anything out of the crunch channel that my class 5 doesn't do better and the clean channel isn't anything special, but that's not why I bought it.

I bought if for metal, but I'm very disappointed in the Red channel lead 1 and 2. The more I play it and tweak it the less I like it. It was great at first, but now that my ears have gotten used to it or it's breaking in or whatever it is it just seems fizzy and way too bright. It probably cuts like a knife live and in the mix, but I don't gig so that's of no use to me.

I don't believe for a second that this has anything to do with where it was made so don't even go there!!! ...and I've never played an old one so I don't know if there's a difference in them sound wise. It's just not doing it for me.

I think I'm looking for a more "old school" sound. Like a higher gain Class 5 at around 20 - 50 watts that still sounds good at lower volumes would be perfect.

Back to the drawing board I guess. :(

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had some friends over Saturday night and when I played the DSL nobody gave a shit. Then I plugged in the Class 5 and played the same shit and they were saying "turn it up man!", but there was no more to turn up! Maybe it just doesn't compliment my style, but that was a real eye opener and that's when I finally admited to myself the DSL just isn't doing it for me.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve, Adrian and Lespaulop are right !

You need a closed back cab man.. You can't get Metal from a combo. Trust me I've been down this road.

I bought my JVM combo and was never happy with it. Until I bought a 1960 cab.

It was instantly there. Tight, in your face and just awesome ! Trust me man. Try it through a closed back cab

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
If it sounds good through a cab then I have no use for the combo. I would need a head. I don't even know anyone with a cab around here to try it and I don't have any use for 100 watts.

lowinput

Reaction score
You have the 2 types of amps in the same class. they don't do maximum loudness, so I wouldn't worry about people who tell you to turn a small box up louder cause they got no idea!
I hate to say it but dreyn is right, distortion is just micro on/off switching.
stick a distortion pedal infront of your class 5 and you have this superfine on/off switching as you are playing. switching is subject to periods of time, tuneable.
we are not hearing dist we are hearing on/off.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
What's your definition of "old school" metal?

Well, I didn't say old school metal, I said old school sound...but I just generalized. The DSL is a Modern sounding amp (from what I've read, I don't even know if I know what that means really) I only have My Class 5 as a comparison.

I'm going for a sound in my head that is some how a cross between Billy Duffy and Mike Ness with an early Jame Hatfield feel and that kind of vibe. That's the best I can come up with. My Class 5 is almost there, but not quite tight enough and gain enough and definitely not loud enough. I bet that didn't help. :lol::lol::lol:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Steve return your DSL and buy an old DSL50 head for the same money or less. You will get all the sounds youre looking for. The red channel is modern and the green channel is old school. Best of both worlds! And it sounds great at ALL volumes! With pedals, without pedals, it doesnt matter!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Too late to return it I, but I'm going to ask anyway as soon as my guy down there gets back. He's off mondays and tuesdays. He's the manager and I've been doing business with him for 7 years, hopefully he can help me out even though 30 days was the 27th of last month.

33KHD

Reaction score
Aw man that sucks.....

Where you live...no forum members nearby? Just thinking a 2x12 isn't that big and if you heard your 40 through a cab you might feel different.

Man, if you were in the GTA I'd say come by, plug into my 1936 and see what you think. Also got a DSL 50 I'm sitting on...would love to let you try it out but alas the geography is not in our favour.

Good luck.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Aw man that sucks.....

Where you live...no forum members nearby? Just thinking a 2x12 isn't that big and if you heard your 40 through a cab you might feel different.

Man, if you were in the GTA I'd say come by, plug into my 1936 and see what you think. Also got a DSL 50 I'm sitting on...would love to let you try it out but alas the geography is not in our favour.

Good luck.

I appreciate it bro! :cheers:

Billyblades

Reaction score
Amps are like wives.. you want it reliable and lookin good. You want it sweet when you need it and you want the fiery n exciting when you turn up the heat.

Its like beer. You want the best beer not water.. you are missin mojo n horsepower. Plus combos are usually thin n nasally to my ears. A cab is where its at too!

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Aw man that sucks.....

Good luck.

You have a town there called Grand Theft Auto ? OMG.. :wow:

Grunch

Reaction score
Well, I didn't say old school metal, I said old school sound...but I just generalized. The DSL is a Modern sounding amp (from what I've read, I don't even know if I know what that means really) I only have My Class 5 as a comparison.

I'm going for a sound in my head that is some how a cross between Billy Duffy and Mike Ness with an early Jame Hatfield feel and that kind of vibe. That's the best I can come up with. My Class 5 is almost there, but not quite tight enough and gain enough and definitely not loud enough. I bet that didn't help. :lol::lol::lol:

The DSL will do all of that. You just got the wrong kind of DSL.