Falling out of love with my DSL40C

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I appreciate it bro! :cheers:

Steve just get a DSL50 or older 900 MK3 2500 with 2x12 cab...they get GREAT old school Marshall tones at bedroom levels...especially with a cool OD pedal up front, yet if need be can be used to play out in a band...and are PLENTY loud..this is the real thing man. Those amps are relatively cheap as well. Don't be afraid to buy them used...ALL of my amps purchased over the years were used..NOT abused..and were all great purchases...

You got GREAT taste in brew...but ya gotta work on your amp of choice baby...50/100w Marshalls are the machines that ROCK was created with....

DWK302

Reaction score
The good news is now you can start testing out new amps, which, next to playing, is the most fun part, isn't it? Sounds like you could use a JVM410.

Personally, I'd go with a head + cab because getting that deep, tight, palm muted punch from a combo might be a challenge. I saw Pantera on their "Far Beyond Driven" tour, and every time Dimebag (he may have still been called Diamond) palm muted his low E, I felt like I was getting punched in the chest. If that's what you want, go with head + cab.

Last edited:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Define early Hetfield. I chased Hetfield's tone for damn near 20 years until I finally broke down and bought a Mark. Within 3 seconds I was like, yep there it is. And it's been over a year now and the honeymoon phase never ended.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Sometimes you just gotta Go Hard man.
If not youre allways goin to be wondering what your missin. It took me 30 yrs to find what i was lookin for... prob 30 grand too lol.
Splawns, boogies, marshalls, soldanos, engls .. carvins, buddas you name it!

I am lookin no more! ;)

Billyblades

Reaction score
Define early Hetfield. I chased Hetfield's tone for damn near 20 years until I finally broke down and bought a Mark. Within 3 seconds I was like, yep there it is. And it's been over a year now and the honeymoon phase never ended.

Im keeping my red stripe mk3. Awesome amp.. has its own voice but ... the early hetfieldis all Jose mod man.
im an amp junky lol

Adrian R

Reaction score
Sometimes you just gotta Go Hard man.
If not youre allways goin to be wondering what your missin. It took me 30 yrs to find what i was lookin for... prob 30 grand too lol.
Splawns, boogies, marshalls, soldanos, engls .. carvins, buddas you name it!

I am lookin no more! ;)

It's only one amp for me, and always will be and that's a MARSHALL, nothing comes even close to that sound in my mind that I want to hear...

Most other amps are just hybrid copies of that 'Marshall' voice...

http://youtu.be/AGy0pPllHVQ

Billyblades

Reaction score
It's only one amp for me, and always will be and that's a MARSHALL, nothing comes even close to that sound in my mind that I want to hear...

Most other amps are just hybrid copies of that 'Marshall' voice...

Marshall - Big Bob's Marshall Warehouse - YouTube

Or massaged and perfected upgrades! The jose mod gives the extra thump too like a boogie. But retains the Marshall mids n character.
All the best of Marshall goodness n then some. Just rich, thick chewyness.
Anything from acdc, Lynch, Vh, Metallica, Scorps.. dont matter...
Just choose right guitar n 30 seconds dialing in...

David Corrales

Reaction score
Any excuse is a good excuse to research amps :)

Honestly I'm surprised that you became bored of the amp so quickly after so much enthusiasm. I would definitely go check out a Mesa Boogie Mark amp... when I tried mine I instantly understood why Metallica and Petrucci sound that way. It's just a different flavor from Marshall.

In the end I think you need, both, Marshall and Boogie so it's cool that you already have the DSL.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Im keeping my red stripe mk3. Awesome amp.. has its own voice but ... the early hetfieldis all Jose mod man.
im an amp junky lol

Right but those Jose modded Marshall's sound more like Boogies than stock Marshalls. Plus their Magnum Opus, Master of Puppets was all Mark IIC+ :headbanger:

...yeah, yeah they used a Marshall as a power amp. Still 100% Boogie tone :cool:

dreyn77

Reaction score
Frodo, don't go to Mount Doom! The Dark Lord Sauron is out there and he'll tempt you. stay here and keep your amp. there is nothing wrong with sound! Stop listening to the 'bs'. ask them why? what do I get! The marshall was made out of Good.

buzz

Reaction score
steve...i see you have already done the class 5 mod so why not try running the class 5 into the dsl fx loop.....you never know.....you might like it...