• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Favorite New Production Power Amp Tubes For Your Marshall Amp

• Thread starter pittbull
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pittbull

Reaction score
What’s your favorite new production power amp tubes for your Marshall amp,I don’t know where to start EL34 wise I’ve been using the Electro Harmonix big bottle 6CA7,I’m looking for less headroom and more crunch

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
What’s your favorite new production power amp tubes for your Marshall amp,I don’t know where to start EL34 wise I’ve been using the Electro Harmonix big bottle 6CA7,I’m looking for less headroom and more crunch

If you can get some Wing C Svetlana.
No longer manufactured but probably (what I consider) one of the best ever / made recently.
https://www.thetubestore.com/winged-c-sed-el34
SED-EL34_Winged-C-EL34.jpg

Treasure tube hand made, you would probably like this also.
https://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang-natural-sound-6ca7-t
SH-6CA7-T_Natural-Sound-6CA7-1.jpg

pittbull

Reaction score
I hear EL34 tube crunch on Van Halen 1 vs big bottle 6CA7 which to me is cleaner sounding more headroom then a EL34. I hear more 6CA7 on Van Halen II then EL34 crunch like on Van Halen 1. I would bet Eddie was using EL34s on Van Halen 1 then 6Ca7.

PDC1

Reaction score
Of course, this is SO dependent on the amp / speaker combo - but I do hear more low end and tighter low end with the JJ E34L. Some folks notice a loss of top end with these, so they can be perfect to help tame a brighter amp. I have recently circulated a quad of JJ El34-II through my amps and I hear more lows, but with no sacrifice in top end as some note with the E34L.

jeffb

Reaction score
Mullard Reissues. I can't stand the new sensor preamp tubes but the Mullard 34s and 84s are excellent new production tubes.

For the VSL they do a great job taming some of the buzz, adding some compression, midrange and taking the amp closer to older Marshalls.

Also dig..
JJ KT77
JJ EL34II
Chinese Bs (ruby, tad, etc)
Tungsol 34B

I picked up some JJE34Ls recently for the VSL and was all hyped up, but....not getting what I need out them. Disappointing. Much prefer the other JJ variants. I think they might be better suited for the Origin- will have to try.

pittbull

Reaction score
I have one, plus there’s a master volume on the amp

shakti

Reaction score
Can’t say I’ve tried everything out there, and they may have changed over the years, but I thought the TAD EL34s I have here have been pretty good for a new production tube. AFAIK they are Shuguangs selected by TAD. Very well matched, sound robust and nice. Not spectacular, but they do the job nicely.

I’ve had bad luck with JJs and I didn’t particularly like the sound either.

I’ll be the lone dissenting voice and say that I don’t get the hoopla about the SED/Winged C. To my ears they sound papery and thin. Not at all the bold, powerful, robust yet warm sound that I like in my favourite vintage EL34s. Mullard and Tesla are my favourites with RFTs a somewhat distant 3rd (a little bright and and not as robust sounding to my ears).