Marshall 1987x 50w Plexi KT77s?

Creach

Reaction score
This is the newer one with the FX loop, but I almost never use it.
If you plug your guitar into the effect loop return you will have the cleanest sound your amp can produce.
For many years i used a Boss ls2 to change my 1987 into a dual channel amp.
Keep in mind that a 50W amp output 50W of clean sound. If you connect your guitar to the return of the effects loop and feel that you don't have enough headroom, it's probably mean that you should go for a 100W amp, like a 1992.

Also the speaker are important, better to have 101dB sensitivity speaker if you want higher headroom.

jasonmaska

Reaction score
If you plug your guitar into the effect loop return you will have the cleanest sound your amp can produce.
For many years i used a Boss ls2 to change my 1987 into a dual channel amp.
Keep in mind that a 50W amp output 50W of clean sound. If you connect your guitar to the return of the effects loop and feel that you don't have enough headroom, it's probably mean that you should go for a 100W amp, like a 1992.

Also the speaker are important, better to have 101dB sensitivity speaker if you want higher headroom.
Interesting, I've never tried that. I know that I would ideally have a 100w version but this had a good deal on it about 12 years ago so I got it and am just making some modifications to maximize performance.

I know I should consider a different speaker too, it's on the to-do list (once the funds are there).