Feb 19 Edit Just in 4x12 1960 with JMP (Speakers choice for 2x12 cab)

• Thread starter takeitslow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takeitslow

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Some update.... I got my 80 JMP and I love it!!!!! And while searching the net for speakers choice, I just missed a 1981 4x12 cab with G12 65 for about 325 $ (300€)... I think I liked them a lot from what I've heard... Better sounding to me that the G12T75...
And what was the use of building a 2x12 and buying 2 new Creambacks for instance when I could have bought an old 4x12 for 300€???

Now my new dilemna that goes with the Jmp is: someone's offering me a two years old 1960 AV for 325$ too. No need to retolex or whatever... I'm just thinking about getting it and then swapping two of the speakers for either new G12 65 or the M65 Creambacks... For me it sounds like a good opportunity (and besides there are no other 1960a or AX or AV used cab to get around me at the time... The only other cab that I've found is the horror cow skinned early JCM800)...

And if I don't make it with that AV, then I might reconsider my 2x12 building with either M65Creambacks or WGS ET65 with Hellatone 60

How does it sound to you?
Thanks and have a nice week end
Jmp-1a.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg

takeitslow

Reaction score
Hi to all,
So just got this used 2008 1960 AV cab as the price was right. It got the T3897B made in UK speakers and, what is great, a plywood back instead of the particle or mdf one...
Will I still be adviced to put in two G12M65? From what I've heard, I really like them...
I'd like to swap 2 of the V30 as I really find them too "middle" voiced, not enough bassy, almost "harsh" (though it may not be the right word)... In fact I almost "prefered" the Weber sound I had before (12F150). Is it because I used to be more of a Fender guy before?

Anyway, I'd like to get a better Marshall sound... Thanks in advance.
IMG_1386a.jpg IMG_1390a.jpg IMG_1385a.jpg IMG_1388a.jpg IMG_1406a.jpg

PS By the way, I'll change the grillcloth for the checkerboard one (or maybe basketweave)...

Im247frogs

Reaction score
The fellas here convinced me to go Creamback for the exact reasons everyone is saying- I had a 2x12 sourced and loved the greenbacks, but would easily fry them with any of my amps not even dimed.

I got a 65 watt Creamback and while there's a million choices out there it's hard to imagine a speaker that sounds better. I bought it in an open back cab that sounded awesome, then cut a panel to close it up and its even better.

For reference i also went with Marshall-branded Vintage 30's for my 2x12 (slightly higher power rating) and I just installed an Eminence Governor in the Ab763 single channel reverb I just built.

My feeling towards G12T75's is that there has to be a good reason that Marshall puts them in almost everything they built, and they certainly don't suck, you'll just find most guys here believe there are better options for not a whole lot more money. I basically unloaded my MDF 1936 cab w g12t's and got a 1936 style cab from Mojotone and put the previously mentioned V30's in it. To say the new cab and speakers "sounded better" would be the understatement of the century

But back to Creambacks. To me, they have a very organic, warm, and woody sound, really responsive and pleasing from a whisper to a roar. To put it simply, they're fucking killer.

BUT, you have your own ears and if ya gotta have greenbacks, ya gotta have em. Greenbacks have a reputation as being possibly the greatest single piece of gear ever invented unless I'm mistaken, and for a good reason. Might want to build a 4x12 to use with that head tho.

EDIT: sorry I didn't catch 4x12. Too much blood in my coffee stream.

Last edited:

takeitslow

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply lm247frogs!!!
Two hours ago, I just went with buying 2 G12M65's. Sound great, really great, from what I've heard. Just hope the mix will suit me better than 2 V30/2 G12M20 or 2 V30/2 G12M75 or whatever... So really hope that the 2 V30/2 G12M65 will bring me the bass I'm missing with the 4 V30 and that the V30 won't overpower the M65... And now I even have to decide, before the speakers arrve, if I'll have the X pattern or M65 up and V30 down... Marshall's lover's life ain't easy:cheers:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Are we talking about the G12M65 creamback or the G12-65? They are not the same.

My expierence with speakers for Marshalls is that it depends a great deal on the amp. I love the Marshall Vintage 30 with Jubilees, but with a 2204 I would probably prefer the G12M greenback and maybe more so the G12-65 with the large dust cap (not the Creamback although it would probably sound good). With a plexi the Creambacks will be less likely to be blown up than their Greenback equivalents.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply lm247frogs!!!
Two hours ago, I just went with buying 2 G12M65's. Sound great, really great, from what I've heard. Just hope the mix will suit me better than 2 V30/2 G12M20 or 2 V30/2 G12M75 or whatever... So really hope that the 2 V30/2 G12M65 will bring me the bass I'm missing with the 4 V30 and that the V30 won't overpower the M65... And now I even have to decide, before the speakers arrve, if I'll have the X pattern or M65 up and V30 down... Marshall's lover's life ain't easy:cheers:

I guess your the test case. The Vintage 30 mixed with the G12H is pretty common to get a stronger bass...and more treble.