Fender Jimmy Page Telecaster

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

https://www.premierguitar.com/artic...VPOsRrz_ZdRMZxhAd2R6pnHahaYcbYEXZhL2u4K554aYI

Hollywood, CA (October 30, 2018) -- Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) today announced it is collaborating with one of rock’s most legendary guitar players – Jimmy Page – to recreate his famous 1959 Fender Telecaster 50 years after Led Zeppelin formed in October 1968. Among music’s most iconic guitars is Jimmy Page’s Telecaster, known for its two “mirror” and “dragon” designs. It helped launch Page’s career in The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, and the guitar was used to record Led Zeppelin I along with countless hit songs on world-renowned albums. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin and Page’s storied career as a guitar icon, Fender will release four artist signature guitar models throughout 2019, giving fans and collectors the chance to own a piece of history. Two models will be made on Fender’s production lines, and two will be produced in the Fender Custom Shop – dubbed the “Limited Edition Jimmy Page Telecaster Set.”

“It’s an incredible honor that one of the most-respected rock legends has entrusted Fender to recreate one of his most-prized guitars,” said Mike Lewis, VP of Product Development at Fender Custom Shop. “Some of the most-esteemed artists in the world work with the Fender Custom Shop, because it is the pinnacle of craftsmanship for the Fender brand and the guitar-building community.”

“This unique Fender Telecaster has an amazing backstory and helped inspire some of the greatest rock music of all time, both in the later years of The Yardbirds and at the genesis of Led Zeppelin,” added Justin Norvell, EVP Fender Products. “Now we’re giving a new generation of players access to two great instruments in honor of Jimmy, his storied career and amazing musical body of work created and performed on this guitar.”

Page originally received the Telecaster in 1966 from Jeff Beck, who gifted it to Page for recommending him to The Yardbirds. Through the years, the Telecaster took on several looks and personas, as Page customized it aesthetically and sonically. When he first received it, the guitar was undecorated in its factory white blonde finish and remained that way until February 1967, when he added eight circular mirrors to the body. Page played his mirrored Telecaster only briefly in the final years of The Yardbirds, and by mid-1967 he was ready to change the look. He removed the mirrors, completely stripped and repainted the instrument himself, this time hand-painting a mystical dragon on the body.

When Led Zeppelin was formed in October 1968, the Dragon Telecaster became Page’s go-to instrument and he played it on stage and in the studio until 1969. It was also the main guitar used on the legendary Led Zeppelin I album. Page went on tour in 1969, and upon his return, he discovered a friend had kindly stripped the body and painted over the dragon paint job. The paint job compromised the sound and wiring, leaving only the neck pickup working. He salvaged the neck and put it on his brown string bender Tele, and has since re-stripped and restored the body in full.

“This guitar is so special and has so much history, so I approached Fender to see if they’d be interested in recreating it,” Page said. “They really got it 110 percent right, or 150 percent right. It's so absolutely as it is, as it should be, and as it was.”

“Visiting the Fender Custom Shop to sign and paint the guitars with Paul Waller was a real thrill,” he added. “To see all those absolute gems on the wall, it's a pretty amazing experience.”

Among the four artist signature models will be two highly collectible, limited edition Fender Custom Shop versions masterbuilt by Fender Custom Shop Master Builder Paul Waller – one with mirrors and the other with the painted dragon. For nearly eight months, Page has worked closely with Paul Waller, Master Builder at the Fender Custom Shop, to advise throughout the process, assuring every detail was accurately recreated. Only 50 units of each Fender Custom Shop model will be made available with personal touches from Page himself, including a handwritten signature on the headstock and hand-painted flourishes on the guitar body’s dragon artwork. Known for its world-renowned quality and craftsmanship, the Fender Custom Shop has built instruments for some of the world’s most-esteemed guitar and bass players over the past 31 years.

“Jimmy first approached us in February with the idea to recreate this Telecaster, and as we were planning, I could feel his passion throughout the process,” said Paul Waller, Fender Custom Shop Master Builder. “To achieve his vision, I wanted to get every little detail replicated exactly, so you couldn’t tell the difference from the originals and these models. That’s what we’re known for in the Fender Custom Shop: quality craftsmanship and authenticity.”

Fender will also build both mirror and painted versions on its production lines, which will be more accessibly priced for a broader base of fans to purchase. While these will not be hand-signed and hand-painted by the artist, Page did consult with Fender throughout the design process to ensure the guitars are true-to-spec of the original Telecaster.

All Jimmy Page models will be released throughout 2019 and available at local dealers and on www.Fender.com. Fender will reveal the complete model lineup in January 2019.

neikeel

Reaction score
I always liked that tele. Watch the late Yardbirds and early Zep vids and you’ll remember why.
Question is can you make one to sound and play like that?
I don’t doubt it that a visual replica can happen easily enough.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what this one will cost...

Also did they state which pickups they will use?
(if they did I missed it...)

El Gringo

Reaction score
This is awesome and such a rich and iconic historical artifact and ditto for the 50th anniversary of the forming of Led Zeppelin ! (this will most certainly cost a fair amount of bucks , pesos , euros , liras and all other currencies ! )

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I have a very sneaky suspicion that this guitar will be over your $350 price point for a great guitar.

Yeah, I' m sure it'll be overpriced too.

BTW, I do own many guitars that are above the $350.00 price tag.

Here's some of them:

LPclassicplusrick66012csstrata.jpg
3amigosa.jpg
gretsch61296121w.jpg

burst2650smarshall.jpg
BB-Jrs-Hot Box.jpg

I'm your huckleberry.

Attachments

• Gusher Mesa 335 Chet.jpg
    Gusher Mesa 335 Chet.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Tone Master Rig.jpg
    Tone Master Rig.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

Easton55

Reaction score
I hadn't ever read up on this one before. Why in the world would someone just decide to repaint someone else's property, especially with no asking at all? Wow, can only imagine how that went after coming back and finding out!

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
That is an impressive collection.
A friend of a friend has the Gibson SG double neck. I have no idea how expensive those are but he is a true Page fan.

Thank you.

I recall trying out a Gibson SG double neck before I acquired the Ibanez Artist double neck.

I had a hard time tuning the Gibson.

It was probably me but I felt that the Gibson just wasn't right.

Soon after, I purchased the Ibanez at Rudy's on 48th St., NYC.

I overpaid at $1000.00 for it.

It was 1980.

About 10 years later, my buddy Norm, at Norm's music in Brooklyn, NY, had another Ibanez double neck Artist.

We were speaking on the phone and I asked if norm still had the Ibanez.

Norm said, "yeah, do you want it?...............you can have it for $500.00."

I drove like a mad man from Howell, NJ to Brooklyn to buy it.

Those Ibanez's are from 1978 and 1979.

The same model........#2640 Artist Double neck.

https://Reverb(dot)com/item/216840-ibanez-2640-artist-doubleneck-1978-sunburst

Still have both.

Last edited:

GrahamL

Reaction score
I always thought of a Gibson "Les Paul" when I heard Jimmy Page.... still do. Gibson is crying inside somewhere ;-(

El Gringo

Reaction score
I always thought of a Gibson "Les Paul" when I heard Jimmy Page.... still do. Gibson is crying inside somewhere ;-(
Yes , but the first album was recorded with the Dragon Telecaster and also the solo on Stairway to heaven . Having said that nothing NOTHING beats a Les Paul into a cranked Marshall and I swear under oath without factual evidence that when Jim Marshall was building the first Marshall Amps in 62-63 that he must have voiced them with a Les Paul with humbuckers . It is just too much of a coincidence how well the 2 go together like bread and butter and so on etc.

StratoMarshall

Reaction score
Yes , but the first album was recorded with the Dragon Telecaster and also the solo on Stairway to heaven . Having said that nothing NOTHING beats a Les Paul into a cranked Marshall and I swear under oath without factual evidence that when Jim Marshall was building the first Marshall Amps in 62-63 that he must have voiced them with a Les Paul with humbuckers . It is just too much of a coincidence how well the 2 go together like bread and butter and so on etc.
Agree 100%, BUT, a Strat through a Marshall is magic too! They are both a match made in Heaven!

donkost

Reaction score
Take this with a huge grain of salt, because I am probably reading all of the same forums and articles that you guys are reading. This guitar excites me quite a bit since I never thought this type of deal would be done between Page and Fender. Supposedly the production line dragon-painted Tele will be in the $1500 range while the mirror guitar will be a little more. I might have that wrong- perhaps $1500 was mentioned and that the dragon-painted Tele would be the less expensive of the two production line guitars. Yes I am really interested in the pickups that will be used. Sure they can be swapped out but it would great if they use something in the bridge that really bowls you over. Of course the story of the dragon Tele being painted by a friend while Page was on tour has been told countless times. It just doesn't make sense. Any one of us would go absolutely out of our freakin' minds if a "friend" did that to one of our guitars. Maybe it was a female friend who had it done, and she meant well and he couldn't get upset about it? Who knows, but something doesn't ring true. Also the story of him acquiring the '59 Les Paul from Joe Walsh seems to be told in different ways over the years, depending on where you read it. The polite version is that Page bought the guitar from Joe Walsh. I have read everything from Page outright stole it from Walsh, or permanently borrowed it and eventually paid Joe Walsh for it even though he didn't intend on selling it. Instruments sure changed hands a lot among the famous back in those days. I guess you could say similar tactics were used with some of LZ's earlier blues-based tunes. lol Love 'em though, part of the soundtrack of my youth. I missed seeing them by "this much" (fingers close together). I saw a Rush concert at the Spectrum in Philly (Moving Pictures Warm Up Tour) the night that Bonham died (9/25/80), and there were RIP John Bonham banners hung all over the railings. The Philly dates for that LZ tour were just about to be announced when the bottom fell out.