• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Fender Squier classic vibe or G&L Legacy tribute?

• Thread starter Msharky67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Msharky67

Reaction score
I am looking t upgrade to bettter strat. I am looking at the Fender Squier classic vibe or a G&L Legacey tribute. Both are made in indonesia. I like the neck on both of them. I really want a maple neck and good pickups without having to change anything. The G&L has the standard tuners the other those block tuners which I don't like. Price is pretty close to each. I am looking to unload my '98 Squier Affinity strat as it doesn't do it for me anymore. I never really cared for it. I had upgraded it but it still is missing something. It doesn't have that sound. So are either of these other models any good? I am on a budget too. I am leaning towards the G&l but would like more input. I wish they had better color options too. The Surf green is sweet but no maple neck.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I am looking t upgrade to bettter strat. I am looking at the Fender Squier classic vibe or a G&L Legacey tribute. Both are made in indonesia. I like the neck on both of them. I really want a maple neck and good pickups without having to change anything. The G&L has the standard tuners the other those block tuners which I don't like. Price is pretty close to each. I am looking to unload my '98 Squier Affinity strat as it doesn't do it for me anymore. I never really cared for it. I had upgraded it but it still is missing something. It doesn't have that sound. So are either of these other models any good? I am on a budget too. I am leaning towards the G&l but would like more input. I wish they had better color options too. The Surf green is sweet but no maple neck.
New or used? On a budget get used. Those two wont be that far off from your affinity, find a used MIM Strat, they are a dime a dozen and you'll find exactly what youre looking for.

I just looked on reverb they have surf green Strats with maple neck, people have them priced in dream land, make a real offer and bring them back to reality and they might come to their senses.

How about build a partscaster, get a new body and neck, scrap parts off your affinity to build your dream guitar.

Last edited:

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I can't speak for the G&L, but I recently picked up a 2009 Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat (for $175!). It's so good that I'm selling my Fender Player Strat. Plays and sounds fantastic.

PelliX

Reaction score
Can you get an S/N for the Squier? If it's ICSxxxxxxxx it's Cort in Indonesia, I wouldn't bet my money on that being an upgrade on anything. You might get lucky, of course. G&L I know a bit less about, but the ones I've had in my hands seemed decent instruments. I'm with @pedecamp here, though; just look around for used (or even new) Fender MIM. I'm very happy with my 2012 MIM Strat.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
My squier classic vibe tele serial starts CGS09, crafted in China. 2009 I believe.
I’ve had this guitar ten years. Only guitar I’ve never sold which says a lot. I’ve bought and sold maybe 40-50 guitars in that time. It just has something amazing about it. No idea on the newer ones

junk notes

Reaction score
I am looking t upgrade to bettter strat. I am looking at the Fender Squier classic vibe or a G&L Legacey tribute.

I do not hink that you are upgrading with these Affinity series.. Anything like that @pedecamp offered best (MIM) recommendation.
Body thickness are similarly thin, but Sweeteater offers by weight on the G&L if that matters.
Otherwise either is a good choice if deciding to go new - with that budget of yours.

Latest posts