Flying V nut problem, please help!!!

• Thread starter Guitargearfreak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrrrgg!!!! :mad:

I was playing my brand new flying v (I bought it like 3 weeks ago) and bam, the high E string poped out of the nut and now there's no way to put it back! I cannot put it in the nut, and set it to pitch without poping out: WTF!?!?!??! :mad::wtf::mad:

I'm about to destroy something.... god damn help me please... I have gigs to come... Unreliable things make me out of my mind.

IMG_2674.jpg

KILLER-WATTS

Reaction score
Easy fix .. just take it back to the store if that's where ya got it from , the high E slot needs cuttin in a little deeper , hopefully there's enough space left between the string and the first fret .

Reaction score
yeah... but I bought it 300 miles away from my house... :S

I would show the problem to another luthier tomorrow...

I think there's enough space under the string to cut the nut deeper... still piss me off

jcmjmp

Reaction score
If the nut is already cut deep enough and is the proper width for the string gauge you're using, you might need a new nut.

rustyrat

Reaction score
I had that happen with one of my explorers, damn nylon nut. Spend 80 bucks and put a bone nut on it like i did. you'll be much happier. 80 bucks included the install. I'm about to have one put on my CS explorer too. Its just taht much better.
RR

Reaction score
I had that happen with one of my explorers, damn nylon nut. Spend 80 bucks and put a bone nut on it like i did. you'll be much happier. 80 bucks included the install. I'm about to have one put on my CS explorer too. Its just taht much better.
RR

Better how? Does it affect the tone? Or it's just great to know you'll never have poping strings again?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
replacing a nut is pretty easy...just take your time... i went with the graphite

Actually, a new nut install is a lot of work and not that easy. Buying a pre-slotted, off the shelf nut might work but it will never be as good as a nut that has been setup and cut for your guitar, I can guarantee that.

Ronnie_Speedbag

Reaction score
Actually, a new nut install is a lot of work and not that easy. Buying a pre-slotted, off the shelf nut might work but it will never be as good as a nut that has been setup and cut for your guitar, I can guarantee that.
....i guess you and i have different ideas of what a lot of work is....

fastdave

Reaction score
There are many good videos and tech literature on nut renewal, as well as setting up generally.
It might be a time consuming and fiddly job, but it's not rocket science - bone nuts are cheap, and the fitting could end up as better than the original - what's the worst that could happen? The nut breaks again whilst you're fitting? Unlikely - or the setting is slightly out? But I've seen supposedly set up guitars that I could have done better - and I'm an engineer - not a luthier.
Unless you're particularly cack - handed, have a go - and the buzz you get from having done it is like getting a new amp.
Dave.:headbanger:

mike mike

Reaction score
RR

+1
my luthier has put bone nuts on a few of my guitars(including gibson explorer), and they stay in tune better, break strings less(actually not at all) etc

jcmjmp

Reaction score
....i guess you and i have different ideas of what a lot of work is....

Its not a 15min job is what I mean... and you need specialized files so that the nut can be cut for the exact string gauge installed on the guitar and at the proper depth (very important).

fastdave

Reaction score
Easy fix .. just take it back to the store if that's where ya got it from , the high E slot needs cuttin in a little deeper , hopefully there's enough space left between the string and the first fret .
Give a man a factory fishing boat and he will pillage the seas to exhaustion, then blame you for wanting and eating the fish.

fastdave

Reaction score
Its not a 15min job is what I mean... and you need specialized files so that the nut can be cut for the exact string gauge installed on the guitar and at the proper depth (very important).
It's amazing what you can achieve though, with the simplest instruments and a little patience - a stanley knife can get you by (I use a scalpel) rather than needle files - and you can be too vigorous with a needle file - just have a six inch steel rule with good markings - the string itself (or a bit of one) can be used as a gauge.
Even at the cost of a bone nut - you can only ruin the nut - then admit defeat to a luthier.
Dave

Last edited:

Latest posts