Footswitch alternatives for Origin 50c?

g_string

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the DSL footswitch (PEDL-90012) would work with the Origin 50c? The reason I think this might be a viable option was someone in an older online forum had mentioned about picking up a used Origin 20c and it came with a PEDL-90012 footswitch.

>> The Origin 50c is supposed to use the PEDL-90016, but I picked up a used 50c and it didn't come with the footswitch.
>> I've seen some good deals for the PEDL-90012 on the used market for $40 CAD.
>> whereas the PEDL-90016 new stock price is about $160 CAD (with tax).

I have an MA50c and I tried its footswitch on the Origin, which seemed to work at first, but the lights started flickering strange and then bad noises (pops, crackles). Removed the footswitch and all is well. I read some articles that usually mismatched footswitches shouldn't cause damage, but could due to the small voltage signals that power the LEDs - so not going to continue to risk it with the MA50c footswitch.

Before I go and try a used PEDL-90012 with my Origin 50c, hoping someone could confirm they've tried this successfully?

Any experience or recommendations greatly appreciated.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the DSL footswitch (PEDL-90012) would work with the Origin 50c? The reason I think this might be a viable option was someone in an older online forum had mentioned about picking up a used Origin 20c and it came with a PEDL-90012 footswitch.

>> The Origin 50c is supposed to use the PEDL-90016, but I picked up a used 50c and it didn't come with the footswitch.
>> I've seen some good deals for the PEDL-90012 on the used market for $40 CAD.
>> whereas the PEDL-90016 new stock price is about $160 CAD (with tax).

I have an MA50c and I tried its footswitch on the Origin, which seemed to work at first, but the lights started flickering strange and then bad noises (pops, crackles). Removed the footswitch and all is well. I read some articles that usually mismatched footswitches shouldn't cause damage, but could due to the small voltage signals that power the LEDs - so not going to continue to risk it with the MA50c footswitch.

Before I go and try a used PEDL-90012 with my Origin 50c, hoping someone could confirm they've tried this successfully?

Any experience or recommendations greatly appreciated.
:welcome: to the forum.

Any basic latching 2-button (TRS) footswitch should work, and the Origins support LED, but it's not required.
You can even turn loop & boost to always on with just a TRS adapter in the FS jack on the amp.
I've interchanged the foot switches on my O20H, DSL20HR and Haze15 with no issues other than the switch labels don't correspond to the function.

I have no firsthand knowledge of the MA50C footswitch, so I'm not sure why it would cause the issues you've described unless it has some internal circuitry to perform amp functions other than opening and closing a circuit, or perhaps there just something going bad with that FS.

g_string

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the answer @fitz . The MA50c worked with a basic 2-button TRS footswitch too before I found its footswitch used at a local guitar store. It was the APEX model: AFS2, and it's only $40, so I might go back to trying that one again. I lost it in a recent amp trade, so will pick up another one. If I recall, there's a way you can disable the LEDs on them to take that part out of the mix.

I was hoping to pick up a Marshall footswitch alternative to match, but I'll take functionality over looks if I have to 😉

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the answer @fitz . The MA50c worked with a basic 2-button TRS footswitch too before I found its footswitch used at a local guitar store. It was the APEX model: AFS2, and it's only $40, so I might go back to trying that one again. I lost it in a recent amp trade, so will pick up another one. If I recall, there's a way you can disable the LEDs on them to take that part out of the mix.

I was hoping to pick up a Marshall footswitch alternative to match, but I'll take functionality over looks if I have to 😉
Try Reverb.
I see used Marshall footswitches there all the time in the $40 price range.

WillyW

Reaction score
eBay has some generic ones that work well, I bought one for my Ampeg after I discovered the Marshall switch worked.

7ender switches do not work.

I need to see what works with orange amps, I suspect Marshall….

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

g_string

Reaction score
this looks to be the right one, boost + FX buttons.. but this one doesn’t ship to Canada for some reason. If I search on Reverb for the PEDL-90016 model specifically there are 3 a available but they’re brand new + tax + shipping.. I’ll probably just go for the basic APEX for $40 and call it day.. if I do anything different I’ll let everyone know. sometimes you get lucky and the part you’re looking for just appears one day on the used rack at the local store!

cruisemates

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the LEDs in the 90016 footswitch get their power? The only possible method I see is sending some small DC voltage down the sleeve. Or it could be the tip or ring, but sending DC down such a cable is kind of a spotty practice, you would not want to hot-plug this cable.

Edokter

Reaction score
Both tip and ring carry a DC voltage, one for each switch, and the sleeve is grounded. The pedal works on the 'normally closed' principle; when the button shorts the DC to gound (closed), the effect is off. When you engage one of the switches, it removes the short so the DC now has to go through the LED, which lights up. The amp sees this the DC being blocked, and the effect is turned on.

These switches are in parralel with the buttons on the amp. Nothing wrong with hot plugging the footswitch.

Latest posts