For Mitch and other Gibson Flying V fans

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy-Do, @Mitchell Pearrow;

As you may recall, last year I bought a regular natural V, and love the thing:
1697286934654.png

I see that one of these 70's V's is in stock at my local shop, in the Natural color version (usually my preference):
1697287110311.png 1697287245584.png

What do you (and others of you here) think of the tone of these 70's models? Seems like a very good Priest/ Schenker (UFO-era) tone.

Last edited:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'd love to have one and probably lean more to the natural finish one. I'd take either version quick. I gotta admit though, I think the new price of $2500 is a bit stout.

V's might be my favorite guitar by quite a bit. I own a 1982 in white. I wished I had several flying v's...like a room full of them.

Owned several as well. I think the Norlin Flying V's are quite special. My bucket list one is probably a 1981 or 82 Cmt V. At an average price $4k, I don't see me owning one anytime soon.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Here's my '81. Since the neck and body are mahogany it is fairly dark so a bright cap is a must. Acoustically its very resonant and its easy to get that distinct Schenker vibe with the right amp and speakers. The $4K days are long gone. V(s) and Explorers have leaped in value as of late.

Flying V and case sm.jpg

Ice Cream Cone SM.jpg

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Here's my '81. Since the neck and body are mahogany it is fairly dark so a bright cap is a must. Acoustically its very resonant and its easy to get that distinct Schenker vibe with the right amp and speakers. The $4K days are long gone. V(s) and Explorers have leaped in value as of late.

View attachment 138179

View attachment 138182

Dude.. that guitar is TITS!!

I have the white version of that. Well that and mine is from 1982. It is under going a resto mod. I started with a husk.

I bet that sounds killer. I've never heard a bad one actually. As far as price, it seems the earlier V's and Explorer's have been on the rise for at least two years.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
I had this exact guitar back in 1983 or so. Played a few shows and dumped it because I could see it getting damaged very easily. Obviously a bad decision from a monetary standpoint. t was a really delicate guitar unlike the '81 that is much more durable.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Dude.. that guitar is TITS!!

I have the white version of that. Well that and mine is from 1982. It is under going a resto mod. I started with a husk.

I bet that sounds killer. I've never heard a bad one actually. As far as price, it seems the earlier V's and Explorer's have been on the rise for at least two years.
Yeah...been restoring a '78 explorer myself as well..

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@Vinsanitizer
When I bought mine in 2018, I should have bought 2 of them.. it is so crisp, and full of the tones that I love to hear.. now I have been jonesing for another one for some time, but can’t believe $2,000 in price now.
I was able to grab my white one for $1,300 brand new at the time.
But I keep pinching my pennies for another one.
They just have a bite , and sing like no other, in my ears.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
@Vinsanitizer
When I bought mine in 2018, I should have bought 2 of them.. it is so crisp, and full of the tones that I love to hear.. now I have been jonesing for another one for some time, but can’t believe $2,000 in price now.
I was able to grab my white one for $1,300 brand new at the time.
But I keep pinching my pennies for another one.
They just have a bite , and sing like no other, in my ears.
Thanks for the reply Mitch.

They're actually $2,500 now. :(

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
They just keep climbing.
$2,500 is what I paid for my cherry burst LP ..
Yeah, I know. The prices are nuts anymore. Gibsons have always been the dangling carrots in front of your face, the guitars where you're like, "Ok, I have THIS much to buy a guitar, but if I want a Gibson, I'll have to mow lawns and shovel snow for another year".

I want it, I just don't know if I want it for $2.5K. That many space bucks would fix and re-coat my whole driveway. :D

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. The prices are nuts anymore. Gibsons have always been the dangling carrots in front of your face, the guitars where you're like, "Ok, I have THIS much to buy a guitar, but if I want a Gibson, I'll have to mow lawns and shovel snow for another year".

I want it, I just don't know if I want it for $2.5K. That many space bucks would fix and re-coat my whole driveway. :D
Tell me about it, I have been watching the price’s for 4 months closely, and I am going to pay more for a used one than I was able to get new,, but that’s the way it is.. unless I put mine up for sale, all I would be offered for it is 700-800 $ .
And yes it has to be another Gibson.
I know what I want