Upgrade my Flying V's electronics

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
FWIW I always get CTS 500K pots and a .48k PIO cap. I don't even know what any of that means. It was recommended by another forum member, sounded great in one guitar so I just keep doing it and it works for me.

I think the .48k cap extends the range of the tone control, but don't quote me on that. To my ears it sounds darker, fuller, less twangy. YMMV
I usually leave the stock components/values alone if they sound fine.
My capacitors have ranged from .01 to .22 on the tone control.
Although my tone controls are mainly set between 8 and 10 mark, usually on 10.

Biggin900s

Reaction score
I m a builder I’ve completely redone a few of these guitars newer V’s explorers etc dont think theyre worth it if you can get past the crappy hardware , short neck tenon and cheap materials and build quality …..go for it Id sve up for a custom shop cause like they say in the car busines “ you can dump 100 grand in a Volkswagen but in the end you still have a Volkswagen “ but if you can see past all that and cant hear the tonal difference between that and a better built guitar Go for it I make all my harnesses from scratch with the best stuff available and Its all relative and redundant and these guitars in the end are not worth what you have in them and I restore cars and old Harleys also Since the 70’s

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
What @ampeq said. I replaced all the electronics in my Explorer years ago with parts from RS Guitarworks. Maybe they are what you're looking for. They have DIY kits and pre-wired kits. I went the DIY route myself.

RS Guitarworks

Vintage V Kit

Modern V Kit
Thanks. I just went ahead and bought the 'Vintage V Kit'. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. :yesway:

Dirty-D

Reaction score
l think stock Gibson pots are all 300k now fuck that you need a 500k vol and 250k tone. l like linear taper pots. Nice and even.half way is half way. l also swap the bridge volume and the tone pots around so l can easily roll the vol. knob on the fly while singing.🤷‍♀️

V-man

Reaction score
I m a builder I’ve completely redone a few of these guitars newer V’s explorers etc dont think theyre worth it if you can get past the crappy hardware , short neck tenon and cheap materials and build quality …..go for it Id sve up for a custom shop cause like they say in the car busines “ you can dump 100 grand in a Volkswagen but in the end you still have a Volkswagen “ but if you can see past all that and cant hear the tonal difference between that and a better built guitar Go for it I make all my harnesses from scratch with the best stuff available and Its all relative and redundant and these guitars in the end are not worth what you have in them and I restore cars and old Harleys also Since the 70’s

Sound advice until you got to music gear, particularly Gibsons.

In fact if you are bringing the focus to Gibson Vs alone citing the cheapness of the current crop and spending 5x-10x for a “worthwhile“ Custom Shop example, I would seriously question how knowledgable you are about these specific guitars after all.

The most expensive Flying V per individual model is the 1958 type. it is gorgeous and iconic, like a 1950s Cadillac with swooping fins, but that’s about where the illusion ends. Just last year, Gibson had released an Epi Korina version for 15% of the Gibson model, proving the elusive Korina is not a magically/prohibitively expensive wood. While the guitar has unparalleled fret access, the bass wing strap button makes it neck dive and the string-through design has a horrible break angle that collapses ABRs like none other (rarely to be seen again on another Gibson model).

The Iconic 67 had some tradeoffs (2 steps forward/back) but the vibrola-only setup was unstable and inferior, causing some to adopt a wraptail and others to drill it out for a hardtail. The first “proper” (by design) Vs were the 1970s with ABR/Stoptail, but were “flimsy” Norlin builds. The 80s made a robust thicker V body but was made of shitty alder.

It was not until 1989 that Gibson made a thick body hardtail that was “overbuilt” (‘67 RI 1989-2015) and recently the ‘80s V reissued in mahogany. And this is where all you said makes little sense on either level. First, the best “constructed” Vs are the modern ones you seem to find junky and not worthwhile to upgrade. (No argument about their current electronics or HW). But second, you advocate spending 5x-10x on a CS instead of a “Volkswagen”

The problem is the truer to spec most of the Custom Shop builds are, the more flimsy or flawed fhe actual build is (based on the old designs) at insane pricepoints that bear no resemblance with the cheap construction materials and build process used (no carve, no top, no binding anywhere… two wings and a neck). Much of gibson Custom Shop is overpriced bullshit like insanely priced LP specials/Jrs in some configuration to demand a college tuition premium, but all the stupid thing is an uncapped slab of ‘hog with a p90 or 2 and a pair of knobs.

I get the magic of the older Vs and prefer them myself, but there is not one era of Vs where you can’t have some complaint about their build/design… and yet the flawed things deliver regardless… in standard, non-bullshit CS overpriced form.

Last edited:

Biggin900s

Reaction score

In fact if you are bringing the focus to Gibson Vs alone citing the cheapness of the current crop and spending 5x-10x for a “worthwhile“ Custom Shop example, I would seriously question how knowledgable you are about these specific guitars after all.

The most expensive Flying V per individual model is the 1958 type. it is gorgeous and iconic, like a 1950s Cadillac with swooping fins, but that’s about where the illusion ends. Just last year, Gibson had released an Epi Korina version for 15% of the Gibson model, proving the elusive Korina is not a magically/prohibitively expensive wood. While the guitar has unparalleled fret access, the bass wing strap button makes it neck dive and the string-through design has a horrible break angle that collapses ABRs like none other (rarely to be seen again on another Gibson model).

The Iconic 67 had some tradeoffs (2 steps forward/back) but the vibrola-only setup was unstable and inferior, causing some to adopt a wraptail and others to drill it out for a hardtail. The first “proper” (by design) Vs were the 1970s with ABR/Stoptail, but were “flimsy” Norlin builds. The 80s made a robust thicker V body but was made of shitty alder.

It was not until 1989 that Gibson made a thick body hardtail that was “overbuilt” (‘67 RI 1989-2015) and recently the ‘80s V reissued in mahogany. And this is where all you said makes little sense on either level. First, the best “constructed” Vs are the modern ones you seem to find junky and not worthwhile to upgrade. (No argument about their current electronics or HW). But second, you advocate spending 5x-10x on a CS instead of a “Volkswagen”

The problem is the truer to spec most of the Custom Shop builds are, the more flimsy or flawed fhe actual build is (based on the old designs) at insane pricepoints that bear no resemblance with the cheap construction materials and build process used (no carve, no top, no binding anywhere… two wings and a neck). Much of gibson Custom Shop is overpriced bullshit like insanely priced LP specials/Jrs in some configuration to demand a college tuition premium, but all the stupid thing is an uncapped slab of ‘hog with a p90 or 2 and a pair of knobs.

I get the magic of the older Vs and prefer them myself, but there is not one era of Vs where you can’t have some complaint about their build/design… and yet the flawed things deliver regardless… in standard, non-bullshit CS overpriced form.
I love V’s and explorers I’m down the rabbit hole building explorers right now so explorers were my main focus I just restored to original spec another 2018 explorer I ve hung vintage parts on these newer guitars ant I still cant get there ( feel sound etc) so I’m frustrated I have owned around 10 or 12 explores and cant find a really good example Custom shops are 4 k used USA gibsons 1800 The new Korinas are outrageous 8.5 k but they’re 2 piece bodies Ive only seen a couple of 1 piece bodies aged 25k Don't get me wrong I love Gibson guitars I’m just saying these new ones seem pretty cheap You think they use the same wood for epi’s that they use for CS guitars thats laughable look closer 1 of my main guitars is a 76 bicentenial Firebird I bought it in 1980 love it great guitar its just more playable to me its got that “Gibson Feel” and I’m not a superfan of 70’s Gibsons I grew up on them I just sold my 2013 R-8 build quality and materials was way better cept for the binding bleed I just dont think the quality of wood and materials is out there any more for the mid level guitars not cost effective when CNC came in with streamlined manufacturing process stuff went downhill And yes I’ve seen some of these aged Historic V’s they are incredible prefer the 59 Anyway thanks for the great info

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score

Interesting read. I seriously considered buying a CS 1958 V Reissue last year. I worked with a sales rep over the phone for 3 days. In the end, the one I picked out had a flaw in the finish on the back of the neck, and the other 3 available models had knots peppered all over the body - NOT the look you expect from a $10K (list, retail was $8.5K) 1958 Flying V.

After that was over, I decided to get some professional help: I went to see a psychologist to try and figure out exactly WTF is wrong with me, that I would even CONSIDER spending anywhere CLOSE to that much money on a guitar. Thankfully, I'm much better now. :D

But yeah, V's are quirky enough just by design. Mine weighs 7.25 lbs. It has the strap button on the upper wing, and the neck doesn't dive, but it does pull on my left shoulder a little, so it's not quite as balanced as I remember from last year, but it's acceptable. I've had a few of the Epiphone '58 Korina versions over the years since they came out. They're very light, one was neck-heavy, one had the collapsing bridge but sounded pretty good, and another had sharp fret ends, they all had crappy pickups & electronics. I also bought a black '58 from Sweetwater last year - it was cheap, and I could easily return it, which I did immediately after unboxing it; as soon as I strapped it on, the neck dropped all the way down to China. Those Epiphone '58 Korinas are really just wall decorations. Around 2003 I had one of the red satin finish '67-style models Gibson were selling for $600 with a gig bag. Those guitars were nice and I should have kept it, but I just hated that red color too much.

IDK, Flying V's are almost as much a mystery today as always.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I love Gibson guitars I’m just saying these new ones seem pretty cheap You think they use the same wood for epi’s that they use for CS guitars thats laughable

Like I said, I have no argument with you on HW and electronics, and if you have been under the hood of a bunch of recent ones, seeing shit lumber you can add that to the gripe list as well.

The latest I heard was their select woods were being held over for the Murphy guitars, so you could spend $7k or more on a R9 or R0 historic and get no better top or weight than a 1/2 priced standard.

V-man

Reaction score
Interesting read. I seriously considered buying a CS 1958 V Reissue last year. I worked with a sales rep over the phone for 3 days. In the end, the one I picked out had a flaw in the finish on the back of the neck, and the other 3 available models had knots peppered all over the body - NOT the look you expect from a $10K (list, retail was $8.5K) 1958 Flying V.

After that was over, I decided to get some professional help: I went to see a psychologist to try and figure out exactly WTF is wrong with me, that I would even CONSIDER spending anywhere CLOSE to that much on a guitar. Thankfully, I'm much better now.

But yeah, V's are quirky enough just by design. Mine weighs 7.25 lbs. It has the strap button on the upper wing, and the neck doesn't dive, but it does pull on my left shoulder a little, so it's not quite as balanced as a remember from last year, but it's acceptable. I've had a few of the Epiphone '58 Korina versions over the years since they came out. They're very light, one was neck-heavy, one had the collapsing bridge but sounded pretty good, and another had sharp fret ends, they all had crappy pickups & electronics. I also bought a black '58 from Sweetwater last year - it was cheap, and I could easily return it, which I did immediately after unboxing it; as soon as I strapped it on the neck dropped all the way down to China. Those Epiphone '58 Korinas are really just wall decorations. Around 2003 I had one of the red satin finish '67-style models Gibson were selling for $600 with a gig bag. Those guitars were nice and I should have kept it, but I just hated that red color too much.

IDK, Flying V's are almost as much a mystery today as always.

I started out as the “Will Rogers” of Flying Vs. That changed quickly with hands on experience. Being the apex, I lusted after ‘58s. Then I got some oddball examples and became extremely grateful they are not ideal for me... same with the true ‘67s. Pretty soon, it was whittled down more or less to a single spec (just within reach for player grade) and a make-due backup spec. The rest I typically do not care for in terms of purchasing and owning.

Some could say I might have given Epi a “fairer” chance, but 2 purchases (1 used, 1 new, both returned/sold) and multiple trials killing 30 min at GC confirms they are fucking awful (lackluster at best), IMO.

I too hated the worn color. Not a huge red fan (though wine LPs and HC SGs look proper). My first Gibson V was the ‘03 ebony board moon inlay. The color was horrid, orangey burnt BBQ, but it fucking played. I had many ‘67s but gave them all up except for one project I’d never get $ back for all the work spent. Ironically it was the second worn (husk buy) and it did have a very fetching evenly-red cherry finish, but I refined it and it is my last ‘67 standing.

Latest posts