Fractal Audio Systems is INSANE!

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I just realized that I've never gotten around to hooking my Axe-FX II up to my stereo system. I have a.....VERY.....nice stereo system, and abundant power. Gonna have to try it. Maybe even today.

If only the Axe-FX had a built in Bluetooth transmitter, then I could connect wirelessly to the stereo and not even have to bother with any cables or moving any equipment.

Since I can buy bluetooth stereo transmitters, that might be just the thing to do.

chocol8

Reaction score
I'm in my mid-40's now and my 100 watt W/D/W setup w/3 4x12's is starting to take its tole. Not on my hearing (that I know of, what?), but my enjoyment of playing. The sound pressure and bass can sometimes leave me feeling nauseous. So I've been interested in going the modeling route, i just don't know where to start when it comes to Speakers. If I just want to sit at my computer with the AX-FX III, what's the best way to hear it in stereo? I don't want to use my computer itself, just sit at the desk and play/listen while I browse the internet. FR/FR? Those powered Friedman speakers? Something else?

You want a pair of studio monitors for that use. Something like a pair of JBL 305's or similar.

chocol8

Reaction score
If only the Axe-FX had a built in Bluetooth transmitter, then I could connect wirelessly to the stereo and not even have to bother with any cables or moving any equipment.

Since I can buy bluetooth stereo transmitters, that might be just the thing to do.

Bluetooth will not work. There is significant lag in the BT protocol which is ok for listening to music, but unworkable for playing music.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
You want a pair of studio monitors for that use. Something like a pair of JBL 305's or similar.

Those are surprisingly affordable. Are they "budget" monitors or is that typical price for high-quality studio monitors?

chocol8

Reaction score
Those are surprisingly affordable. Are they "budget" monitors or is that typical price for high-quality studio monitors?

That depends on your definition of budget and high-quality. They are not the cheapest options and sound significantly better than the ones that are. They are also not the most expensive option, nor what you would expect to find in a professional recording studio.

I personally think they hit a sweet point of being very good for the job at a reasonable price, but there are others in that price range (presonus etc.) that you could make the same argument for. You could spend quite a bit more, but for using with a guitar modeler at a computer desk, I don't think you are buying much. If you have a bigger room and you are sitting further back, I would suggest the 308 or other larger monitors, and that will cost more.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks. Yeah I wasn't sure about diminishing returns. I wouldn't want to pay 5x as much for a 5% increase in sound quality. I just want a great quality sound at loud TV volumes. I can still walk into the music room and fire up the Mesas or 800 if I need more volume.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
We record with modelers exclusively, but live I prefer to have a tube amp as a monitor. Modeled sounds go to PA there as well, but a dry one to a real amp from which I have adjusted the same kind of sounds. Works great! I'm using a modded Origin 20h with a 4x10" as my monitor, and I'm easily drowning the lead guy who's using an Axe FX with a 2x12" and a 400W power amp.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I'm in my mid-40's now and my 100 watt W/D/W setup w/3 4x12's is starting to take its tole. Not on my hearing (that I know of, what?), but my enjoyment of playing. The sound pressure and bass can sometimes leave me feeling nauseous. So I've been interested in going the modeling route, i just don't know where to start when it comes to Speakers. If I just want to sit at my computer with the AX-FX III, what's the best way to hear it in stereo? I don't want to use my computer itself, just sit at the desk and play/listen while I browse the internet. FR/FR? Those powered Friedman speakers? Something else?
I use a set of JBL Studio monitors. Mine are probably 8 years old model LSR 308. There is a newer MKII model available now. I use mine as computer speakers as well so, they get lots of use.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I would 2nd the...get the 8 inch woofer if you have the room. I use mine in a room about 11 foot by 16 foot and they work great with plenty of bass. I had in the past some 5 inch woofer models and they lacked bottom quite a bit.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Had my first get together with the new band last week. Brought my Origin 50 combo and the Axe FX, which I had hurriedly knocked out a 4CM preset for with a few drives, phaser, etc.

The gain staging was off somewhere in the preset (I didn’t test it at drummer volume before heading out), and I didn’t want to make everyone wait for me to get my shit together, so I bypassed the cab blocks globally and used the Origin as a powered speaker only.

Sounded great, and those Origins can get stupidly loud…

tallcoolone

Reaction score
This is a lot more expensive than the JBL. How much "better" are these doing to sound? $500 better? Or nah

I believe this is what Cliff @ Fractal uses. Or at least used to use a few years ago when I was hanging there. Diminishing returns as they say...

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
So dumb question, if I were to get an Axe-Fx III and a pair of studio monitors (like the JBL), how would I use the monitors for both the Ax-FX III and as my PC speakers at the same time?

tallcoolone

Reaction score
So dumb question, if I were to get an Axe-Fx III and a pair of studio monitors (like the JBL), how would I use the monitors for both the Ax-FX III and as my PC speakers at the same time?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ4--mackie-402vlz4-4-channel-mixer

This is what sits on my desk--digital to analog converter from my PC. If recording I use another device (AXE, WAZA TAE). There is prob a much smarter/better way to do it but this worked fine for me.

AXE comes in from your FOH feed.

Derek S

Reaction score
I don't find it complicated really. I have my JBL's connected directly to the Axe and a basic pair of PC speakers connected straight to the PC sound card. Windows will automatically switch (or you can manually change but it's not necessary, it'll recognize when the axe gets powered down/on) between the two. When I fire up the Axe, the JBL's are what I'm getting audio through. When the Axe is OFF, windows reverts back to the soundblaster card and the audio will spit out the desktop speakers (so for gaming, general pc nonsense, etc). I never have to touch anything - but if need be you just click on the taskbar speaker icon and select which device you want to use, the axe fx, soundblaster card, generic motherboard audio, etc.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have my JBL's connected directly to the Axe and a basic pair of PC speakers connected straight to the PC sound card
Is there any reason you wouldn’t want your JBLs active all the time?