FRIEDMAN BE100 Really Kicks **se !!

• Thread starter Anand Mahangoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Hi Gentz,
Friend of mine has this mighty Amp and I decided to check it out.....I paired it with the Ownhammer Friedman IR and I think it sounds quite nice ;)

Amp settings and signal chain is all in the video and curious if my settings are OK with the Friedman Amp experts....

Thanks !

tonedover

Reaction score
Hi Gentz,
Friend of mine has this mighty Amp and I decided to check it out.....I paired it with the Ownhammer Friedman IR and I think it sounds quite nice ;)

Amp settings and signal chain is all in the video and curious if my settings are OK with the Friedman Amp experts....

Thanks !

Wonderful playing - i enjoyed - particularly the tones 640-730 - great dynamic changes w a LP !

Id like to say i know a bit about Friedmans having owned many of them (but never a 100 watter!) Runt20, Jjjr, ww20, wwSB50, twin sister, pt20v2.

I really dig his designs for a couple reasons;
1. They all revolve around a particular tonal flavor - smoothed out but hot rodded marshall tones
2. His circuits and component values make the tone stack operate in a narrow range where there simply is no “wrong” way to have the BMT set - its going to be at least usable no matter what and prevents a lot of user error.

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Wonderful playing - i enjoyed - particularly the tones 640-730 - great dynamic changes w a LP !

Id like to say i know a bit about Friedmans having owned many of them (but never a 100 watter!) Runt20, Jjjr, ww20, wwSB50, twin sister, pt20v2.

I really dig his designs for a couple reasons;
1. They all revolve around a particular tonal flavor - smoothed out but hot rodded marshall tones
2. His circuits and component values make the tone stack operate in a narrow range where there simply is no “wrong” way to have the BMT set - its going to be at least usable no matter what and prevents a lot of user error.
Thanks a lot man., also for your kind comments on my YT Channel and I agree fully...The Amp is so tight and very little one can do wrong with the amp even when working with the switches on the back & front....only thing what can go wrong maybe is the way it is recorded ....Thanks, appreciated !

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Sounds great! I feel like that's the tone most people have in their heads when they want to plug into a hot rodded Marshall.
Thanks a lot man !! The problem is usually that these Amps need to be cranked to their sweet spot to get that vibe and nowadays most guitars players don’t get that possibility anymore due to small stages / complaining sound engineers and so and…..the Suhr Load Box gives me luckily the possibility to do that …. Thanks again man !

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
The Suhr Reactive Load is my favorite [I also have an OX and TAE]
The BE-100 is an awesome amp in the studio absolutely killer live.....
9iMbB4Ll.jpg
Awesome man !! Love that Soldano too !! Is it a dual amp setup ?

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Hello Anand, "Yes" Actually the SLO (original version) in the photo, I bought new for my son years ago, I've been a long time Soldano player now he's carrying the torch. I recently installed a new Bare Knuckle "War Pig" and a Zexcoil Noiseless Single Coil Pickups in one of my son's guitars and actually in the photo My main guitar is the Charvel CS So-Cal 2008 and the rest of the guitars are my son's, he wanted me to goof-around and record a "Hard Rock" kind of Lynch, EVH, Gilbert, Sykes he also loves Holdsworth and Greg Howe [song/jam] Please excuse the sloppy playing...

I do have a few Amps including a Boa SLO, though my BE-100 is my absolute favorite, I worked with Dave over the years modifying the amp. I would do studio sessions [my livelihood] and live gigs then I would want this then that changed, absolute killer Marshall & Fender tones, I absolutely Love USA & UK amps.
TTWbFAJ.jpg

My guitars [three are my son's]
DJ2gUtj.jpg

Wow , awesome collection of amps and guitars too but those amps are fine fine fine !!! Tons of tonal options , this can make me very happy seeing these pics !
Track sounded fine man, no worries about sloppy playing.....The Friedman absolutely has a f*cking tight tone...love that ! great playing too ! Thanks

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Had a 50 and 100 watt BE. Loved the tone on its own, totally, but I found that it didn't hold nearly as well in the mix as any Marshall. I was surprised. Lost the grind and bite when the drummer really kicked in.

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Had a 50 and 100 watt BE. Loved the tone on its own, totally, but I found that it didn't hold nearly as well in the mix as any Marshall. I was surprised. Lost the grind and bite when the drummer really kicked in.
Hey man !! So ‘funny’ that I also experienced that ! In the mix I find it less good…. Perhaps should have added more mids but that fat deep low end is not helping in the mix….. I just did a video in which I placed it next to my own amp which is more mid based and that might sound less good on its own, in the mix it totally is there !

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
When I purchased my BE-100 in 2015 new original version, for a while I thought the tone was really great "in the band mix" and my drummer has professional Pearl kits [Master Series] but after a while I did feel my BE was a little "Too-Smooth?" kind of Neal Schon or Andy Timmons with [highest respect!]. During a few years I worked with Dave to modify my BE-100 for more of the Marshall "Rawness & Kerrang" like what I was getting from my '74-75 Marshall 100w Superleads [Jose Modified from the early '80s] Dave did an amazing job, now my BE-100 has a killer BE/JEL/SS/Jose high-gain with beautiful SS-100 clean channel conversion, variable-response NF control etc.....
I find my Runt 50 head into my Blackstar series one v30 loaded oversized cab has plenty of cut tbh .

Latest posts