Friedman JJ Jr opinions wanted

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

speyfly

Reaction score
Hello, hope you are all having an awesome day.

I'm considering buying a Friedman JJ Jr and wanted to get your opinions of the amp and it matching 1X12 cab.

Currently I have an Origin 20, Egnater Tweaker, Vox NT15H (all heads) and a SCXD and was thinking I would add the JJ Jr to the mix, what are your thoughts regarding this amp

Thx,

Crikey

Reaction score

I'm considering buying a Friedman JJ Jr and wanted to get your opinions of the amp and it matching 1X12 cab.

Currently I have an Origin 20, Egnater Tweaker, Vox NT15H (all heads) and a SCXD and was thinking I would add the JJ Jr to the mix, what are your thoughts regarding this amp

Thx,
I played one at GC. Its fn awesome.
Im getting a runt 50 . I want the extra watts

pentatonicwanker

Reaction score

Thx,

I own one and run it through a Peavey 112-6 (a convertible cab with a Celestion G12M). I love it. Surprisingly versatile and hard to dial in a bad sound. It replaced both the DSL and SV20 I had. That said, I don't find myself using the clean channel very often (I tend to roll down the guitar's volume), so I'm tempted to try out the PT20 V2 to see if that's somehow even better.

mcblink

Reaction score

Thx,
I have one. It was somewhat an impulse buy. I'll say it was the best impulse buy I've made in years.

I run mine through a 4x12. So I'm not entirely sure what it would sound like with a 1x12, but based on what I've heard so far, I would expect it to be pretty great.

I don't own an Origin or an Egnator or a Vox, I am a Marshall guy all the way but my experience is only with the 2203x, 4100, JCM2k's and the Vietnamese DSL100H, so I don't really know about what it might add to your tonal palette, but for me it's a great sounding amp that records really well for what I use it for, and I would highly recommend trying it out.

Might turn out that it's not the amp for you and that's totally okay, but there's only one way to find out!

Obviously my own biased opinion but I say go for it!

mcblink

Reaction score
I played one at GC. Its fn awesome.
Im getting a runt 50 . I want the extra watts
My only regret with having the JJ Jr as opposed to it's larger 100w brother, is that I wasn't able to afford the full size version. Hell, still can't lol

The 20w is really quite loud, but it does seem to lack the big girthy bottom end of the 100w as you might expect. I did try running the JJ Jr's send into the return of a JCM2k once though. That was pretty cool.

mcblink

Reaction score
I own one and run it through a Peavey 112-6 (a convertible cab with a Celestion G12M). I love it. Surprisingly versatile and hard to dial in a bad sound. It replaced both the DSL and SV20 I had. That said, I don't find myself using the clean channel very often (I tend to roll down the guitar's volume), so I'm tempted to try out the PT20 V2 to see if that's somehow even better.
I don't use the clean channel often either, but it's a really great clean channel. Sparkly and stuff lol

speyfly

Reaction score
Thx for the replies and encouragement, I now have added a Friedman to the mix. I've been watching the CL post for a few weeks and on the final price drop I had to jump on it.

I couldn't find any less than awesome reviews and the tonal reviews and the opinions from the forum is what made the difference.

Once again, THX...

Friedman JJ Jr..JPG

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx for the replies and encouragement, I now have added a Friedman to the mix. I've been watching the CL post for a few weeks and on the final price drop I had to jump on it.

I couldn't find any less than awesome reviews and the tonal reviews and the opinions from the forum is what made the difference.

Once again, THX...

View attachment 125274
HNAD!

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
The runt 50 is pretty awesome ( had mine for a couple of years or so ) but have to admit I’ve not tried the double j .

Crikey

Reaction score
The runt 50 is pretty awesome ( had mine for a couple of years or so ) but have to admit I’ve not tried the double j .
Try one.

I played Jet City 50watt at a shared practice space. Thats s good sounding amp. Says something about a soldano circuit. Both channels sounded great

speyfly

Reaction score
everybody already knows i think the JJ jr sucks. :coffee:

Now that I have a few hours on it I'm really liking the amp, the clean side I'm finding to be awesome so far with tons of headroom. And it really LOVES pedals, I've been using the clean side and adding pedals when needed right now (I'm not really a hi-gains kinda guy). Looking at rolling tubes to try to dial back the gain, recommendations are welcome.

The cleans do have a ton of head room and if I can get a front section that works well with the power section cutting the gain back I think it will fit the mix.

ricksdisconnecte, I always love to hear your opinion whether it's right or wrong (smile).​

If anyone has any advice on how to dial-back the amps personality (gain) I would appreciate your input.