Fuzz for DSL crunch channel

• Thread starter bluesymetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bluesymetal

Reaction score
I’m thinking about throwing a fuzz onto my pedal board. I’ve never been a fuzz guy but I’d like to get some jimi/ Wolfmother/ QOTSA tones. I’m not really after that huge wall of sound thing more nasty sounding then smooth. I’ve tried a big muff and an orange fur coat and they were both a little to much in the low end. I run the crunch channel with the gain all the way up then back off my guitar volume for cleans. I’m thinking some sort of fuzz face might work well?

Last edited:

bluesymetal

Reaction score
Which pedal? No I’m barely competent enough with a soldering iron to install pickups.

Wildeman

Reaction score
A Fuzzface is a great pedal. There are many flavors of fuzz man, it's a fun journey. JHS has just reissued a bunch of fuzzes and they all sound killer.

matttornado

Reaction score
i’d like to try a fuzz with my DSL 40Cr as well. i’m going to try boosting it with an overdrive in front of it. i have a boss sd1 and i’m about to build a russian green muff clone.

bluesymetal

Reaction score
A Fuzzface is a great pedal. There are many flavors of fuzz man, it's a fun journey. JHS has just reissued a bunch of fuzzes and they all sound killer.

Thanks that was a pretty informative video. There’s so many types of fuzz, then different versions of those types, then mods of those etc that it’s tough to know where to start.

Edit:
With that said, is there any particular circuit that plays well with an already distorted amp? I feel like a muff style is better in a clean amp.

Last edited:

Wildeman

Reaction score
Thanks that was a pretty informative video. There’s so many types of fuzz, then different versions of those types, then mods of those etc that it’s tough to know where to start.

Edit:
With that said, is there any particular circuit that plays well with an already distorted amp? I feel like a muff style is better in a clean amp.
It takes some time to figure out what flavors you like, I've been through lots of fuzzes but i think you'll be off to a good start with a silicon Fuzzface. Oh yeah, if you start down this rabbit hole and start buying more and more fuzzes, don't sell your old one's! Keep them all or ,trust me you'll regret it. And there's no feeling quite like seeing a pedal you sold 2yrs ago for 60 bux selling for 350.00:shrug:

Last edited:

bluesymetal

Reaction score
I just ordered a silicon mini fuzz face. I think I’ll hold to my fur coat and see where I go from there lol.