G12 100 avt

• Thread starter beammeupwelshy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
I have an AVT275 which I'm basically replacing with a Laney GH100l, (would have really loved a JCM800 but got an awesome deal on the Laney).

I'm not really in a potion to buy a nice 4x12 cab at the moment, so I made one, so far its cost me like $150NZ. I decided I would whip the speakers out of the AVT and add them to my home made cab, and chop the AVT down to just a head instead of a combo (this will be a back up amp/hack that i can spill beer etc). So I've done all of this, just need to put vinyl on my DIY cab plus a couple other finishing touches. The AVT looks weird all short with no speakers Ha ha.

Now comes the bit I'm not too sure about. I have been looking on the net to see what people think about the AVT range of speakers, mostly people think they're shit, but so far I haven't seen opinions of the 100Watt version like what I have. I'm really hoping that they are very similar to the big daddy G12's but I don't really have much to compare with. I like there sound, but I haven't played through many other cabs.

Anyway cost dictates so they have to go in regardless of how good/bad they are. I was thinking I would put these in the bottom postion (left bottom, right bottom). Than I will save my pennies for few weeks and invest in another (nicer pair) for the top potions.

So my main question is this. What would work best in the cab with these? and do you think a top bottom approach is best? or a x type configuration?

I guess wiring wise I'll make it a stereo cab with a normalled jack for standard mono use, and have brand A and B as one load and the same on the other side. So in a stereo config it'll be two loads of 16ohms and in mono it'll be an 8 Ohm load, (two 16's in parallel).

Any thoughts or better ideas?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 30
  • G12 100AVT.jpg
    G12 100AVT.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 25

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I mostly play Rock to hard rock, Adam Jones from Tool has a sound I almost cry for when I hear it. But am also really tweaked by Zack Wylds tone and style. I occasionally like to detune to C, usually no lower than that.

JohnH

Reaction score
I dont know. But one thing you should be sure of is what impedance they are, 8 Ohms or 16 ohms, then get others to match. If you cant tell, then measure with a multimeter, it will read an ohm or two less than the nominal value.

Another thought: these are specially branded for AVTs, but im thinking they may well be very similar to others that Celestion make and Marshal put in amps. The exact shape of the back of the magnet is unusual. but the same as the 'Goldback' type they put in my DSL401. They could be related, which is not unlikley since the amps were were similar age and price point. In which case, Id expect the sound to be good, but a bit on the harsh side, and quite efficient (mine was measured by me to be equally loud as a V30).
See on left below (V30 on right)
marshallamp25-11-06008.jpg

Here's a thought - a low budget idea. Just put your two AVT speakers in on their own, with plywood blanks over the open holes. Then decide how you like them and get other speakers to compensate when you have decided. If you do that, wire them in series if they are 8Ohm drivers, to make a 16 Ohm cab, or in parallel if they are each 16 Ohm, to make an 8 Ohm cab.

John

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the insight. They do look a bit similar to the gold back you pictured, to my ears I like their sound but I always felt that my previous vavlestate (265? vavelstate II range from memory) always had a more "rounded tone". But it was open back, and i think the speakers weren't the AVT type, I forget what they were.

Yeah these AVT's are an 8 Ohm speaker, so I guess like you say, get a pair to match. So wiring wise, it'd be either two lots of 16Ohms (stereo config) or a mono 8 ohm.

I like the idea of blanking extra holes up and see what king of sound I'm getting from just those in the bigger box, never thought about that. I finished putting vinyl on today so maybe next weekend I'll do a bit of experimenting with the that.

Cheers.

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
C does get a little loose on 10-52. I had a mate who used to buy 7 string sets and put them on his six string Ibanez and miss the high e off. He would take it way down, but after C I don't really find the sound that great, maybe if you play meshhugah riffs or something, but Mostly I find a half a step down is perfect for most stuff, standard stuff still works OK but you just have an extra growl when you play power chords.

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
I basically got the cab finished today (finishing is a bit rough but its solid) and put the AVT 100 watt speakers in it. I put them in the bottom positions, the top potions are still open at this point. So far I like the sound. I played at about 4 on the master volume and stuck my ears low trying to avoid hearing what was doming out of the uncovered top holes, obviously the sound will change when i either seal the top holes or get a second pair of speakers for them, but it sounded really good. Allot more Bass but tight and controlled, Ive got a feeling these AVT celetions are getting a bad rap cos they are stuffed into smaller cabs normally.

I'm eying a 2nd pair of vintage 30s on ebay so I'll know more if i get these. I may seal the top hole in the mean time just to see what happens, depends how busy I get this week.

Attachments

• DSC03995.jpg
    DSC03995.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03994.jpg
    DSC03994.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 31

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
I did get those V30s in the end and whacked them in. Overall Im pretty happy with the whole thing. The 30s seem to have more bite to them compared to the AVT 100. The magnets on the 30s seem much more substantial in comparison. Playing standing up about 4-5meters back you mostly just hear the V30s, but if you lower your head down the AVts are there with a slight tone alteration. Bass wise them seem about the same level, though slightly different resonance frequencies I think making the bass wide but fairly tight. Also seem about the same level wise as well, so it seems to make for winning combination and holy shit do they go loud.

They are in series, with one AVT and one V30 making a 16 ohm load (same on other side). but if you insert a single jack into jack position 1 its normaled to give the amp a single 8ohm load (two 16's in parallel), just in case I ever what to run a stereo setup or something.

My Laney has 6l6's in at the moment so very keen to swap those out for some 34's at some stage and hopefully that will increase my tone to a more jcm800 area, but if i keep liking what i hear from the 6l6's i may stick with those, not sure on this one yet.

Anyway thanks for the feed back on this little project, all advise is good advice.

GitterMan

Reaction score
Oddly enough, youve got what you need for Adam Jones tone. I was very pleasantly surprised to find this out quite accidentally. I picked up an AVT 100 recently and found the avt celestians very buzzy not at all good sounding unless played through the clean channel. I plugged up my Eminence Gov loaded Avatar cab, switched to OD2 with scoop engaged and there it was a really good AVT tone. If you ever get a chance swap out those avt speakers for some WGS Veteran 30's or any of the Eminence Red Coats and I think you will be really happy. Nice work btw.

Latest posts