g12h 30w anniversary speakers or G12t75s for marshall jvm?

• Thread starter lovehifi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Need some suggestions. I have an EVH 2x12 cab loaded with g12H30 Anniversary speakers. Im using a JVM410hjs head. I do not gig and only play at home at low to low moderate levels. To me they sound great. I have a chance though to trade for a Marshall 4x12 1960A cabinet with the stock 12T 75s I think they are. What do you guys think? I play mostly classic rock and again not very loud. Any thoughts would be great.

anitoli

Reaction score
4x12 is an upgrade from a two. GT12-75's are awesome speakers provided they are broken in. You take a new cab with 75's and use it for bass and I mean loud bass for a week youll really see what 75's can do for tone. They can take anything a 100w head will put out.

lovehifi

Reaction score
4x12 is an upgrade from a two. GT12-75's are awesome speakers provided they are broken in. You take a new cab with 75's and use it for bass and I mean loud bass for a week youll really see what 75's can do for tone. They can take anything a 100w head will put out.
Thanks. My only concern is will they perform well as the Anniversaries at low volumes since that is usually where I play at. I read where the G12-75s can sound kind of thin and dry at low volumes but sound great when cranked up. Don't know how true that is.

anitoli

Reaction score
That's why I talked about break in. If they are new or lightly used they can sound thin, but if they are well broken in they are smooth and nice and have a bell like ring to the high notes. Another plus I like about them is they don't breakup when you hit them with a lot of bass. I run my 6100 with the bass dimed on all three channels and 75's soak that up. Super thick lead tone.

RobS

Reaction score

+1 on this. Did it to my cab with 75's and they sound so much better. But, if you are after a great speaker, the Creamback is excellent

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Let your ears make the decision. Play both cabs side by side at low to medium volume and decide. IMO I wouldn't get a 4x12, it will just be louder overall. If you want a Marshall cab to match your JVM get a 1936 or have Sourmash build you a cab and put your g12h30's in it. I've never played h30's but I love my 75's. 75's are easy and cheap enough to get used any day of the week.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Thanks. My only concern is will they perform well as the Anniversaries at low volumes since that is usually where I play at. I read where the G12-75s can sound kind of thin and dry at low volumes but sound great when cranked up. Don't know how true that is.

Some members here draw a distinction between earlier production G12T-75's and later versions of the same speaker. And I wholeheartedly agree with others here that recommend loosening up new speaker cones before they pass judgement on new speakers. Some speaker sales outlets offer broken in speaker cones like AVATAR with their "Hellatone" Celestion speakers. Plus, we're all starting to see speaker companies offer this same service if they didn't offer it beforehand.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends what you mean by low volume lovehifi.
What kind of room/gig/setting do you have in mind?

FWIW, I have found my same cab of 75s sound good just playing along with acoustic instruments at home.
Got compliments for that.
Of course there's all the other gear involved too. But still.

Also, I can get some nice sustain and feedback at low (at home) volume, if I stand close.

MarshallMark

Reaction score
I've play a JVM through a 1960A with stock 75"s and a Yamaha B cab with 75's and V30's in a X pattern. The combination is the best of both worlds. I play at bedroom and slightly louder than bedroom volumes and those cabs don't sound thin and dry at all. Granted the speakers are broken in though.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
well I guess I will be the only one to disagree,...I think what you have already is far superior than the 1960a....just in the tone factor alone,..not even mentioning why you would need a 4x12 when you don't gig,..and just play at home...ya have to ask yourself why he would be willing to make such a deal....???

go to ebay or any message board classifieds and check out the value of the 75's vs the h30's you already have...

at the very least play your rig through the 1960a cab,...then decide.

X2203xman

Reaction score
That's why I talked about break in. If they are new or lightly used they can sound thin, but if they are well broken in they are smooth and nice and have a bell like ring to the high notes. Another plus I like about them is they don't breakup when you hit them with a lot of bass. I run my 6100 with the bass dimed on all three channels and 75's soak that up. Super thick lead tone.
My thoughts exactly.I think my 75's are about 20 years old,and to my ears,win over my greenbacks,and v-30's.I like the v-30,and the greenbcks aren't bad,but like Mr anitoli says, 75's don't have that bass fart.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
75's lack the midrange punch, and together with the fact that you dont gig i say dont swap.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Well I bought a 90s built 1960 Tall Vintage cab with British made Greenbacks. Sounds great to my ears. My EVH 2x12 cab with the Anniversaries didn't sound bad at all though in comparison. The Anniversaries seemed as little brighter almost approaching harsh but probably because they were not broken in yet. The Greenbacks sound great at low volumes too and they are certainly broken in:)

Ken

Reaction score
Nah, i disagree with that. 75's have no trouble with mids. None.

I've only played the 75's loud and I really like them for jams or gigs when I don't haul my 1982's. I think because they have the lows and highs emphasized they are really designed to be played loud, because that evens out the so called 'mid scoop' to the human ear.

At lower volumes people may complain about that, but you can always boost the amp's mid EQ if you're a bedroom player.

Ken

SG~GUY

Reaction score
I think 75's are like cats,.....you can get a hole sack of them for a nickel!!

75's might be one of the best compliament speakers in the celestion line up,..(as in mixing them with another speaker in the same cab) but any cab with just 75's is not pleasing to my ears

Latest posts