g12h 30w anniversary speakers or G12t75s for marshall jvm?

• Thread starter lovehifi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

X2203xman

Reaction score
Plenty of mids in75's.A very balanced response to my ears.I like what 75's do for a plexi style amp.They can tighten the bass just a bit and tame some harsh bark with their more balanced eq.Also like others have said,a 4x12 will dramatically change your tone at any volume.I love the sound of my 1960a at anything form blasting to a whisper.Get the 4x12 and if the ohms match,mix your g-12h's with the 75's for some tasy,thick,dense 4x12 tone.

keennay

Reaction score
People are actually recommending G12T-75's? My how the times have changed on this forum... I must be in the Twilight Zone. :cool:

lovehifi

Reaction score
Well I bought a 90s built 1960 tall vintage 4x12 with British made greenbacks. Sounds great to my ears and just for kicks hooked up my 2x12 EVH with H30 Anniversaries to see how it would sound mixing with the four greenbacks. Sounds absolutely awesome to me.

bobbimontague

Reaction score
To the OP: For me there are "better" speakers the 4x12 cab could be loaded with...

I think a critical detail that is required in these kinds of discussions is often absent - what style of music are you playing? (OP-obviously classic rock). Are you riffing...if so is it 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s? Or do you want plenty of colour in the mids for leads? Do you even play leads? etc...

For me G12T-75s lack interesting mids for leads but can do great heavier rhythm/riff stuff.

The only way to know is to try...and unfortunately most of the the time that includes financial outlay.

LAARS

Reaction score
I have cabs with both. The G12H-30s are my favorite but the G12T-75s are right there. People talk about them having scooped mids, but it's really they have a bump in the lows and highs. If you like a nice thump from tight bottom, you'll like the 75s. The G30s have smoother highs. They mix well together.

Marshall_Watts87

Reaction score
Well I bought a 90s built 1960 tall vintage 4x12 with British made greenbacks. Sounds great to my ears and just for kicks hooked up my 2x12 EVH with H30 Anniversaries to see how it would sound mixing with the four greenbacks. Sounds absolutely awesome to me.

those tall vintage cabs look awesome. be cool to drop 4 75's in it.

illini

Reaction score
To the OP: For me there are "better" speakers the 4x12 cab could be loaded with...

I think a critical detail that is required in these kinds of discussions is often absent - what style of music are you playing? (OP-obviously classic rock). Are you riffing...if so is it 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s? Or do you want plenty of colour in the mids for leads? Do you even play leads? etc...

For me G12T-75s lack interesting mids for leads but can do great heavier rhythm/riff stuff.

The only way to know is to try...and unfortunately most of the the time that includes financial outlay.

I agree with this. If you can, you really need to try them out. I like 75's, but love many other speakers for what I play, which is not heavy rock. The tone I dial in is more in tune to the Black Crowes or Goo Dolls. When I play 75's I always end up cranking the mids, so I might as well get a speaker that already sounds like they have them for what I want.

Having said that, the guitarists for Reo Speedwagon only used 75's, and his tone is considered more classic.

dslman

Reaction score
"'they are smooth and nice and have a bell like ring to the high notes."
This is a good point that Anitoli makes and is a benefit for clean stuff especially, but I never got along w/ 75's by themselves so I say stick with what you have. You can always pick up 75's cheap while it would be hard to replace what you have for the same in a EVH 2x12 cab. I had to x-pattern my 75's with V30's before I was happy.
Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts