Completely Out of My Depth - Modulus 50w 69 Build

• Thread starter kingfredward
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kingfredward

Reaction score
Sadly its always been connected so can’t say that’s the issue :( there is continuity too. any other suggestions potentially?
IMG_8409.jpeg

Ok, its not clear from the picture, but is the center lug of the trimpot connected any of the other two lugs of the trimpot? If not, connect it to the lug thats connected to ground. Do that and measure again the max negative voltage at either pin5 of the power tubes

Trouble Free

Reaction score
without the power tubes check the negative voltage swing on pin 5. You said it maxed out at -162v (that's a lot) what is the minimum you can read when you move the pot the other way?

Trouble Free

Reaction score
Don't bother putting the power tubes in until you figure out why so much negative voltage. Maybe you have the wrong dropping resistor? maybe it's bypassed? Bad ground?

NickKUK

Reaction score
Agreed, it’s almost like the bias is referenced to the bridge rectification ins such a way thay the bright gives a reference of -100V and then the bias then drops below by a further 50-60V resulting in -153 to -167V. That could be AC or DC and the AC could be driven through a large cap(s)..

Can you take a photo of the rectification, both the bridge, the bias rectification and the caps being used (ie where they connect to the filter caps).

Marcomel79

Reaction score
sure thing thanks for your help get some rest

The minimum was around -157v wound out and wound in it was -164v. It wasn’t a huge range
Definitely something is not right there.. can you measure the value of these resistors in ohm?

IMG_7059.jpeg

Also can you measure the voltages at these four points? Point 1 and 2 will be AC, point 3 and 4 will be DC..

IMG_7062.jpeg

Last edited:

kingfredward

Reaction score
Thanks here are the restults

Resistance
1- 222k (Upper left)
2- 14.4k (bottom)
3-55.6k (right)

all of which marry up to the wiriing diagram

1728546402165.png
Here are the voltages:

1. 353.3V
2. 257V
3. -169 V
4. -163 V

BlueX

Reaction score
Could be interesting to see what resistance you measure between 4 and 5, when you turn the bias pot both full clockwise and full counterclockwise.

No voltage, drained caps!

As already mentioned, -160 VDC bias voltage is not normal.

69 50W-03.jpeg

kingfredward

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses

Resistance fully anti clockwise is : 78.6k OHMS
Fully clockwise it is: 55.5k OHMS

Does this mean anything? Guess it makes sense as the pot is 25k OHMS

BlueX

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses

Resistance fully anti clockwise is : 78.6k OHMS
Fully clockwise it is: 55.5k OHMS

Does this mean anything? Guess it makes sense as the pot is 25k OHMS
With a 56k resistor and 25k pot in series it should be from 56k to 81k, so looks normal. Still no explanation for the -160V bias voltage, unfortunately.

Ref. to post #190: On my '69 JMP50 (1986) I measure 305 VAC as your "1" (353V), but only -41 VDC on pin5 (V4/5), with the same bias arrangement.

BlueX

Reaction score
Another thought (once my brain got started):

Could the 220k resistor (in blue) be faulty, although it measures correctly with the low voltage from the DMM?

There are three 220k resistors on the board (1 in blue, and 2 in red). Unless you got an extra 220k, you could switch places. Replace the one in the blue with one from the red circle, and put the one from the blue circle in the empty spot in the red circle (hope you follow). Measure bias voltage again.

69 50W-04.jpeg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
@kingfredward have you looked at Rob Robinette startup guide and troubleshooting guide, these were life savers for me when I built my amp. Also do you have a spare set of tubes, just cuz tubes light up don't mean they work, I had a bad rectifier tube and power tube in a brand new amp kit, once I figured this out my amp was up and running, but it was a process to get there! Robinette steps will help you isolate where the problem is.

PelliX

Reaction score
@kingfredward have you looked at Rob Robinette startup guide and troubleshooting guide, these were life savers for me when I built my amp. Also do you have a spare set of tubes, just cuz tubes light up don't mean they work, I had a bad rectifier tube and power tube in a brand new amp kit, once I figured this out my amp was up and running, but it was a process to get there! Robinette steps will help you isolate where the problem is.

Solid advice, yet other valves are not going to magically drop the bias voltage by 100V or so. I'm wondering if there's any AC on there, too.