Which Mini Head For Me?

• Thread starter Rich_S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ampeq

Reaction score
Although this may be more than what you want to spend, it sure does work great. It is the only SS amp I would use and it will give you many years of dependable service, and it is very light. I have never tried these new ones, but the 2-12” combo I had way back when was very nice, 2 ch amp with a loop for each ch and reverb. Check them out. https://www.sunnamps.com/betalead/

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Although this may be more than what you want to spend, it sure does work great. It is the only SS amp I would use and it will give you many years of dependable service, and it is very light. I have never tried these new ones, but the 2-12” combo I had way back when was very nice, 2 ch amp with a loop for each ch and reverb. Check them out. https://www.sunnamps.com/betalead/
Why do all the demos of this amp seem to only be stoner or grunge demos? Do they not do metal?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I use a Marshall preamp straight into the PA for gigs, and the Orange as a backup. Very small lightweight rig.

ampeq

Reaction score
Why do all the demos of this amp seem to only be stoner or grunge demos? Do they not do metal?
I don't know how they got into that click but that "grunge" stuff seems to claim that thing. I used it for more classic rock and some metal way back when they were first built. They are quite versatile and having two of the same ch. with separate loops is awesome. I sure hope they built these new ones to the same specs as the old ones. My drummer bought the 2-12" combo I had and took the head out to mic his drums, it even worked good for that. I remember the head was light as a feather. The thing that amazed me was the amp sounded and operated more like a tube head, even the feedback was warmer and more controllable than any SS amp I had tried. If you look at used ones they bring big money, more than new ones. If I had to try another SS amp or needed a super light amp to move around this would be my 1st pick. It will work with a 1-12" cab, but sounded best with a 2-12" set up.

The speakers that came with it were nothing special to say the least. But, they were mounted on 45 deg. angles so the sound crossed over each other, it worked good. It was a different sound standing in front of the amp, not as harsh kinda. It had wheels on it and was pretty light for a 2-12" combo so it was easy to move around. I didn't have any distortion pedals back then so I don't know how they would act with it. I sure would love to try one again, or maybe one of the folks on here that have studios will add one to the collection. It's one of the few amps I wish I had hung onto.

ampeq

Reaction score
If light weight is the goal, you could almost wear this setup on a necklace. I love my older Carvin X100b amp from 1989, I also have one of the last X100b amps they made. (Ser. 4) This pedal is somewhere in between I think and should be pretty good. Plus it has some very cool things in it, like a 1 watt amp, 2-12" and 4-12" cab sims as well as headphones. It has a loop and you can run it into the PA direct. It's on sale for $300 right now. (They also have some other amp pedals on the web page.)

This is the smallest lightest amp I have ever seen, and it's 100w! They also make a much better amp depending on your needs.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Laney Lionheart loudpedal. Since I got mine I've been selling tube amps. Does everything, weighs nothing and sounds spectacular. The only other amp I'd buy would be if Marshall would make a similar thing and make it sound as good.
You don't even need a cab. Straight into the PA. Although I use a 1x12 cos I'm old....

Whizzercone

Reaction score
If light weight is the goal, you could almost wear this setup on a necklace. I love my older Carvin X100b amp from 1989, I also have one of the last X100b amps they made. (Ser. 4) This pedal is somewhere in between I think and should be pretty good. Plus it has some very cool things in it, like a 1 watt amp, 2-12" and 4-12" cab sims as well as headphones. It has a loop and you can run it into the PA direct. It's on sale for $300 right now. (They also have some other amp pedals on the web page.)

This is the smallest lightest amp I have ever seen, and it's 100w! They also make a much better amp depending on your needs.

I wish I had known about that Carvin when I bought my 44 Magnum. The Magnum is great, but the Carvin is a way better value IMO.

ampeq

Reaction score
I wish I had known about that Carvin when I bought my 44 Magnum. The Magnum is great, but the Carvin is a way better value IMO.
If that 5 band EQ works as good as the ones in my amps you should be able to dial in some very good tones. That thing really is a very well thought out piece of kit. I would love to try it with a Crown amp or one of their full amps.

Nadir

Reaction score
Laney Lionheart loudpedal. Since I got mine I've been selling tube amps. Does everything, weighs nothing and sounds spectacular. The only other amp I'd buy would be if Marshall would make a similar thing and make it sound as good.
You don't even need a cab. Straight into the PA. Although I use a 1x12 cos I'm old....
Or a Laney IRT Studio. I have one and I have found my "peace of mind", it has finally defeated my GAS for amps. 🙂
I would check Laney IRF heads too (although I have not tried them). Those are in the budget.

Last edited:

Whizzercone

Reaction score
If that 5 band EQ works as good as the ones in my amps you should be able to dial in some very good tones. That thing really is a very well thought out piece of kit. I would love to try it with a Crown amp or one of their full amps.
I was speaking of the Mach100, but the other one seems nice as well. The only issue is that I have seen a whole lot of broken Carvin stuff in my life.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Or a Laney IRT Studio. I have one and I have found my "peace of mind", it has finally defeated my GAS for amps. 🙂
I would check Laney IRF heads, too (although I have not tried them). Those are in the budget.
That's another one I might just pick up.....👍

Silverdome

Reaction score
No amp advice, but for back pain my general advice is do the cobra yoga pose, plank to strengthen the core, and stay active. I had about 2 weeks of the worst back pain of my life this year and that's what worked for me.