G12h x 4?

• Thread starter SuperBeaver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Anyone ever used an old 4 holer with a quad of G12H's in a 4x12?

I have an opportunity to pick a flat front Matamp 4x12 up to replace my 1960A

I'm usually a Vintage 30 man. How to the two speakers compare?

poeman33

Reaction score
The g12h's have more bottom end and don't have the midrange bump of the V30's, or the presence. Together with a V30, they are a great combination. They are a nice warm speaker, but you might have to adjust your EQ a little if using just them. I would definitely go for the cab if it's a good deal. You can always sell two of the G12H's and replace them with V30's in an X pattern and have a great 4X12 if you thing it needs more mids and highs.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Just came back from the dude's house. Turns out it's a 4x12 but one of the small cabinets like the AVT 4x12.

I didn't even plug in. My head hung over the sides. Not very Rock 'n Roll...

Ken

Reaction score
Just came back from the dude's house. Turns out it's a 4x12 but one of the small cabinets like the AVT 4x12.

Yeah, but if the price is right you're getting 4 excellent speakers. How much was he asking?

Ken

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

That's bogue, dude ... sorry to hear that. Either way, keep your eyes out ... both of my 4x12's have G12H30's (by themselves ... not mixed w/anything else), and while it's certainly a matter of individual taste, I don't think there's a better speaker out there (btw., I'm referring to the 'heritage' version, rather than the 'anniversary' version).

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
That's bogue, dude ... sorry to hear that. Either way, keep your eyes out ... both of my 4x12's have G12H30's (by themselves ... not mixed w/anything else), and while it's certainly a matter of individual taste, I don't think there's a better speaker out there (btw., I'm referring to the 'heritage' version, rather than the 'anniversary' version).

Yip, these were the Heritage models.

Pushtone

Reaction score
"Anyone ever used an old 4 holer with a quad of G12H's in a 4x12?

I'm usually a Vintage 30 man. How to the two speakers compare?”

I have the Vintage 30’s across the top of a Marshall Vintage slant cab with the G12H’s vin 30’s across the bottom with a 2061x head. The G12h’s give some serious bass off the floor, whilst the vin 30’s do their sweet mids and highs. I prefer this pattern over the X pattern in the studio and small wood floor rooms. The X pattern is better for the ears in the audience, as it provides for a more even/balanced sound.

This is my first post, I thank you all, in advance for the indulgence. :~`}

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
"Anyone ever used an old 4 holer with a quad of G12H's in a 4x12?

I'm usually a Vintage 30 man. How to the two speakers compare?”

I have the Vintage 30’s across the top of a Marshall Vintage slant cab with the G12H’s vin 30’s across the bottom with a 2061x head. The G12h’s give some serious bass off the floor, whilst the vin 30’s do their sweet mids and highs. I prefer this pattern over the X pattern in the studio and small wood floor rooms. The X pattern is better for the ears in the audience, as it provides for a more even/balanced sound.

This is my first post, I thank you all, in advance for the indulgence. :~`}

Thanks for posting on my thread. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great cab you have there.
I ended up with a 1960AX Cab with the reissue Greens. Very happy.

medicjg

Reaction score
I love the h30s and v30s. I plan on giving mixing the two but for right now im enjoying the 2x12 of h30s that I just got. mkiii just screams through it. I wouldnt rule out trying the h's in the future though or maybe te wgs equivalent.

LAARS

Reaction score
Hey Superbeaver,
How do you like the greenback reissues? I've got a 4 x 12 with the hellatone speakers (Avatar broken in G12H-30s 70th anniversary) which I love. Its the Cab in my photo to the left, with the brown cane basketweave speaker cloth and all the amps sitting on. I'm replacing the speakers in my 1960 A & B cabs with those......

Never been a fan of Vintage 30s..... Too harsh and honky sounding to me.

Our other guitar player just picked up a 1972 1960A cab loaded with original greenbacks...... Sounds KILLER!!!!

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Hey Superbeaver,
How do you like the greenback reissues? I've got a 4 x 12 with the hellatone speakers (Avatar broken in G12H-30s 70th anniversary) which I love. Its the Cab in my photo to the left, with the brown cane speaker cloth and all the amps sitting on. I'm replacing the speakers in my 1960 A & B cabs with those......

Never been a fan of Vintage 30s..... Too harsh and honky sounding to me.

Hey there. Weird. I was just looking at your avatar. Some awesome cabs there.
I have to say i love it. Ive played a VM and my JMP 50 watt through it and to me sounds like heaven.
I had a vintage 30 cab a while back and I have to say i liked it but i prefare these. Also i had a cab about 3 years ago that has a V30 and a G12-H in it. That rocked real nice. I was using a Ceriatone Overdrive Special copy with it.
I got rid of the 1960A cab I had as it was lacking in mids. The tones i look for are pretty retro / vintage. I'd love to try a TV cab though...

Here's a video at moderate vol with my new Firebird and the VM

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXVvz8qgZbM[/ame]

Here's one of the JMP

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvosdQqUUrs[/ame]

LAARS

Reaction score
The speakers and amp sound great. Smooth high end too..... You have gain, but you can still hear all the notes, and it seems really touch sensitive. I wouldn't have expected that from the VM. I alway liked the old school tone too. When you play well, your rewarded, but if you get sloppy, watch out, it will bite you. haha

I took a listen to your clip on youtube with the JMP. Really liked this one. Thats got the tone I'm always chasing.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvosdQqUUrs&list=UUx9SsqhlaP98JqUsXJr7QrQ&index=3&feature=plcp[/ame]

Funny how when the sound of the guitar is right, its easier to play. At least for me anyway. If it doesn't sound right, I'll fight it all night.

I posted a clip of my amp in the "other amps" section. Its got a SM57 on the speaker, no effects with a Les Paul. I'm actually using the 1960B cab for the clip, with G12T-75s. Between those and V30s I prefer the 75s.

http://www.marshallforum.com/other-amps/45429-voodoo-v-plex-50-watt-mv-sound-clips.html

There is also a clip of our band, live if you want to check it out in the same thread. You can really get a feel for the type of sound we are going for in the video.

Sounds like we are going for the same type of tone. I always fight between not having enough gain, and having too much (too much for me anyway) gain.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
The speakers and amp sound great. Smooth high end too..... You have gain, but you can still hear all the notes, and it seems really touch sensitive. I like the old school tone too. When you play well, your rewarded, but if you get sloppy, watch out, it will bite you. haha

Funny how when the sound of the guitar is right, its easier to play. At least for me anyway. If it doesn't sound right, I'll fight it all night.

I posted a clip of my amp in the "other amps" section.

http://www.marshallforum.com/other-amps/45429-voodoo-v-plex-50-watt-mv-sound-clips.html

There is also a clip of our band, live if you want to check it out in the same thread. You can really get a feel for the type of sound we are going for in the video.

Sounds like we are going for the same type of tone. I always fight between not having enough gain, and having too much (too much for me anyway) gain.

Yes, has a listen there. Those voodoo amps sound wonderful. Great AC/DC tone. I think you're right yes we both have the same type tones in our head.

You're right about having to like your tone. If my tone isn't happening I would rather be washing dishes man. Tone is without doubt the most important thing for a player.
I'd rather listen to a simple player with great tone (like B.B. King or Malcolm Young) that a shredder who is technically amazing yet is plugged into some bullshit moddeling thing. Ugh...

LAARS

Reaction score
I'd rather listen to a simple player with great tone (like B.B. King or Malcolm Young) that a shredder who is technically amazing yet is plugged into some bullshit moddeling thing. Ugh...

Exactly...... It makes me laugh when guitar players come up to me and ask me why my tone doesn't get lost in the mix. I explain to them to add some mids to there tone, and turn down the gain. Never understood the SCOOP the mids thing. Mids is where the guitars live.

The guys from the 70s never had an issue with the guitars getting washed out from the cymbals.....:dude:

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Exactly...... It makes me laugh when guitar players come up to me and ask me why my tone doesn't get lost in the mix. I explain to them to add some mids to there tone, and turn down the gain. Never understood the SCOOP the mids thing. Mids is where the guitars live.

The guys from the 70s never had an issue with the guitars getting washed out from the cymbals.....:dude:

Totally. Mids are mostly cranked on my amps.
If I see some guy set up an amp and scoop the mids he's either a Nu Metal dude or a douche who's never played in a band before and needed to be heard :headbanger:

Ken

Reaction score
Totally. Mids are mostly cranked on my amps.
If I see some guy set up an amp and scoop the mids he's either a Nu Metal dude or a douche who's never played in a band before and needed to be heard :headbanger:

I've found recording with scooped mids can be nice, but live needs some of those mids or you disappear in the mix.

Ken

LAARS

Reaction score
I've found recording with scooped mids can be nice, but live needs some of those mids or you disappear in the mix.

Ken

We tried that in the early 80s. We recorded with a Rockman cause we thought it was quick and easy and it was easy to play through. What a waste of money and studio time.

Then we would hear a live tape or video of the band, and realize the amps live sounded so much better then the studio recording with the Rockman. I hear what your saying, but I'm just not a fan of scooped mids.....:dude: But to each his own. Otherwise music would be awlful boring if we all sounded alike.