Royal Amp Jimmy Page Marshall Replica

• Thread starter Vegas strip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Hey guys, so a buddy of mine/fellow YouTuber has a royal jimmy page hiwatt amp and I remember he mentioned royal makes a jimmy page marshall amp but I can't find the company website.

Anyone know what tubes those royal Marshall's use and if you have one can you post audio samples?

I checked out their demo and sounds killer and my 69 superbass sounds close to it.

Reason why I ask about tubes, my superbass needs new preamp tubes and I just order a new set of jj12ax7 along with a jj ecc82 and rca ecc82. After looking at jimmy pages picture book that shows an old tube collection, it seems he favors rca for preamp as he has a ton of them.

Thanks guys.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have an MSG100–it has kt88 power tubes. Not sure what came in it originally as I bought it used. I wouldn’t worry about what brand preamp tube Jimmy used—your gateway to the TSRTS tone with this amp is g12h30 speakers, treble and presence jacked up and a whole lotta volume. Treble input only, vol up to 1:00-2:00. You can get a feel for it through a good attenuator or master if you have one but the louder you get those speakers screaming the more authentic it sounds.

I haven’t gigged with it yet so I don’t have any clips. I’ll probably only use it for outdoor gigs. 4 x KT88 is a big amp

Vegas strip

Reaction score
I have an MSG100–it has kt88 power tubes. Not sure what came in it originally as I bought it used. I wouldn’t worry about what brand preamp tube Jimmy used—your gateway to the TSRTS tone with this amp is g12h30 speakers, treble and presence jacked up and a whole lotta volume. Treble input only, vol up to 1:00-2:00. You can get a feel for it through a good attenuator or master if you have one but the louder you get those speakers screaming the more authentic it sounds.

I haven’t gigged with it yet so I don’t have any clips. I’ll probably only use it for outdoor gigs. 4 x KT88 is a big amp
I bet that amp screams. In jimmy page picture book there's a box with gold lion kt88 and man I didn't realize how big those tubes are.

I'm running an attenuator and I do set the volume to 7-8 / 2 o'clock position. I have 69 g12h30 bass cone but they didn't come from the same speaker cab and I feel each one has a slightly different tone. Oh, these are also 16ohms if that makes a difference.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I bet that amp screams. In jimmy page picture book there's a box with gold lion kt88 and man I didn't realize how big those tubes are.

I'm running an attenuator and I do set the volume to 7-8 / 2 o'clock position. I have 69 g12h30 bass cone but they didn't come from the same speaker cab and I feel each one has a slightly different tone. Oh, these are also 16ohms if that makes a difference.
Volume through the speakers is—by a mile—the biggest component. Attenuators only get you so far. TBH, I had a 1987 that I had modified to take KT88s that did the tone justice as well. Those power tubes do make a difference

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Volume through the speakers is—by a mile—the biggest component. Attenuators only get you so far. TBH, I had a 1987 that I had modified to take KT88s that did the tone justice as well. Those power tubes do make a difference
My amp has el34. Maybe I should look into modding it for those kt88? Don't have a clue if it's just a simple tube swap or really be modified.

I use an attenuator because I don't want to ruin my ears haha.

Old half stack I had was a 100 wt marshall MG but had a master. Of course it's solid state.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
KT88s do make a difference and I believe it is a simple resistor swap. But really you are splitting hairs—he chose those songs on the Royal Amp site for a reason. Any good NMV Marshall sounds fantastic with those riffs ripping through.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
OK, I'm doing nothing and I see @Dogs of Doom post clips of his new amp and I felt lazy. Here is the MSG100 high input only vol up to 3:00. A little higher than what I normally set it but I usually run a boost in front.

That has some BALLS!! Let me ask you, how loud is that 100 watt Royal? I've always came across Page using a 200 pig whatever that means. I don't know a whole lot about Marshall history and I've found mixed things about that "PIG" term.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
As loud as you can imagine lol. 4 x KT88s. And a Major has 8! I used to hear about the Major being the Page amp but I’m pretty sure thats been put to rest.

playloud

Reaction score
As loud as you can imagine lol. 4 x KT88s. And a Major has 8! I used to hear about the Major being the Page amp but I’m pretty sure thats been put to rest.

Awesome clip! Hard to imagine JP himself laying those parts down so faithfully ;)

The Major actually "only" runs 4xKT88 also. It achieves the 200W by ultralinear OT, higher plate voltage and more efficient impedance matching. The last two alone would get you close (I have a couple of 2xKT88 that put out close to 100W clean).

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Awesome clip! Hard to imagine JP himself laying those parts down so faithfully ;)

The Major actually "only" runs 4xKT88 also. It achieves the 200W by ultralinear OT, higher plate voltage and more efficient impedance matching. The last two alone would get you close (I have a couple of 2xKT88 that put out close to 100W clean).
Thanks for checking it out—I did not know that about the Major. Never played one—prob never will!

roef

Reaction score
The PT on the superbass that is cloned is a Drake 1203-80 with a fatter stack than the later Dagnalls. But the output transformer seems like a Dagnall c1998.

- the line out is clearly tapped from the preamp, not the power amp, since it is combined with an effects loop (which hardly makes sense once the power amps breaks up considerably)
- serial no is SB A10053. it looks like a late 68, early 69 amps with filter caps on top
- a least some Drake 1203-80s reportedly had extra high voltage due to a faulty 115v primary which gave 600V on the plates.
index.php

AndyD

Reaction score
The PT on the superbass that is cloned is a Drake 1203-80 with a fatter stack than the later Dagnalls. But the output transformer seems like a Dagnall c1998.

- the line out is clearly tapped from the preamp, not the power amp, since it is combined with an effects loop (which hardly makes sense once the power amps breaks up considerably)
- serial no is SB A10053. it looks like a late 68, early 69 amps with filter caps on top
- a least some Drake 1203-80s reportedly had extra high voltage due to a faulty 115v primary which gave 600V on the plates.
index.php
Hi Roe, those look like a quad of JAN 6550As. Do you have any idea what preamp valves he might have used?

roef

Reaction score
not really
Hi Roe, those look like a quad of JAN 6550As. Do you have any idea what preamp valves he might have used?
not really no. the mods are not known either. but the plate voltage must be high and the primary impedance (Z) is probably higher than 1.75k, so it seems to resemble the west coast hendrix mods

Latest posts