G12L with coil rub. Take me to school with an Xacto.

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kutt

Reaction score
I've got me a 90's budget Celestion with coil rub. Nasty, audible stuff when loaded up with a signal going through it. While gently pressing on the cone with my hands the rubbing can be heard 3/4 of the way around. I've never attempted to fix one of these but have read about it.

Long shot, and highly unlikely, is there anything about the construction of a budget speaker like this that might make a repair any easier? I am willing to sacrifice it to learn. Otherwise it's going into the landfill so I may as well gain some experience from it.

Thanks

1695508264497.png

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got me a 90's budget Celestion with coil rub. Nasty, audible stuff when loaded up with a signal going through it. While gently pressing on the cone with my hands the rubbing can be heard 3/4 of the way around. I've never attempted to fix one of these but have read about it.

Long shot, and highly unlikely, is there anything about the construction of a budget speaker like this that might make a repair any easier? I am willing to sacrifice it to learn. Otherwise it's going into the landfill so I may as well gain some experience from it.

Thanks

View attachment 136888
Back when Ted Weber was still around, I emailed him because I had some old 7442 10” Celestions with voice coil rubs. He talked me through the repair. This was like 20 years ago, so I’m not sure if I remember it all correctly.

What I remember is cutting off the dust cap with a razor blade, as close to the cone as I could without cutting the cone, then blowing out the gap with canned air. Then I shimmed the gap equally all the way around, as best I could with what I had on hand (which was paper), and brushed acetone on the spider. The acetone on the spider was supposed to loosen it up, then it dries centered because of the shims. Mr. Weber was nice enough to send me new dust caps for free, which I glued back onto the cone with Elmers white glue. I don’t know if this was the best way, but it worked.

Kutt

Reaction score
Perfect, thank you both. This was meant to be- I literally just bought acetone today!

Resident 217

Reaction score
I've had limited success "once" ha ha removing the center cap and applying a vacuum cleaner to pull the cone out more than it normally would with sound and letting it snap back into place. Its hit or miss, usually miss.

Latest posts