• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

G12T-75 V30 combo

• Thread starter Deftone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deftone

Reaction score
I have a couple of mid 90's 1960 Vintage cabs with the Marshall branded V30's and I just picked up a pair of G12T-75's....anyone have any experience with mixing the two? I really like both speakers.

Thank you in advance.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of mid 90's 1960 Vintage cabs with the Marshall branded V30's and I just picked up a pair of G12T-75's....anyone have any experience with mixing the two? I really like both speakers.

Thank you in advance.
That's what I have in the MX112R's under my DSL20HR.
T-75 on top & V30 on the bottom.
I like the mix better than 2 V30's.
(the Seventy-80's are in boxes if anyone wants them...)

Zado

Reaction score
I prefer the V30- Greenback mix, but the T75-V30 one gave me some pleasures with heavy tones. That's said, it really depends on the amp and the cab

Deftone

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I am looking forward to trying it out.

I recall seeing a vid of a guy who tried this combo in an "X" pattern, and did not like the results. He switched to one set on top and the other on the bottom row and liked it much better.

end user

Reaction score

Thank you in advance.

I have done it in an X pattern before and liked the results.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I tried V30 and G12T75 in the famous "X" pattern for 6 months, and I thought it was great! - Until I happened to try Zilla and Dave Mustaine cabs loaded with all V30s....

Turns out with a mix, all you really hear is the V30! This is because the V30 is both more efficient than a G12T75, and also because it is more present in the upper mids....The differenece is quite noticeable even by putting you ear up next to each speaker (for short periods, and reasonable volume, obviously....)

So I switched to 4 x V30. Instant improvement! A real "wall of sound"

So for me, a mix doesn't work....total waste of time! If you must try it, V30s on the bottom might help a bit, but I will be sticking with all-V30.....

Deftone

Reaction score
Are all speakers the same impedance?

Yes.

I tried V30 and G12T75 in the famous "X" pattern for 6 months, and I thought it was great! - Until I happened to try Zilla and Dave Mustaine cabs loaded with all V30s....

Turns out with a mix, all you really hear is the V30! This is because the V30 is both more efficient than a G12T75, and also because it is more present in the upper mids....The differenece is quite noticeable even by putting you ear up next to each speaker (for short periods, and reasonable volume, obviously....)

So I switched to 4 x V30. Instant improvement! A real "wall of sound"

So for me, a mix doesn't work....total waste of time! If you must try it, V30s on the bottom might help a bit, but I will be sticking with all-V30.....

I have an Avatar 2x12 with two G12T-75's and I actually already tried this combo, but only with my Joyo ZoMBie. I ended up preferring the G12T-75's.

I also have a Mesa half back 4x12. The top half is open back and the bottom half is closed. The cab is loaded with V30's as well. Might be interesting to try the G12T-75's in that cab as well.

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
I have always wanted to try this combo since I like both speakers on their own.
Let us know the results.

tschrama

Reaction score
Guys, those sensitivity are at 1kHz , not a weighted sum over a large bandwidth e.g. dBA.

abkeller1

Reaction score
The V30's will overpower the G12t-75 according to DrDecible but still can be mixed. I mixed Greenback with Vintage 30 in my 1936 2x12, recomened by DrDecible too and Marshall. I emailed both of them.

ssolo8

Reaction score

Thank you in advance.
Just do it!!!

Zado

Reaction score
The V30's will overpower the G12t-75 according to DrDecible but still can be mixed. I mixed Greenback with Vintage 30 in my 1936 2x12, recomened by DrDecible too and Marshall. I emailed both of them.
The overpowering volume between speakers with different sensitivity has never being a real thing, for me at least. I often hear stories such as "don't put together a V30 and a GB cause you wont hear the latter". Never occurred to me, even the lowest sensitivity speaker always contributes to the overall sound. And both V30+GB and V30+T75 are total winners in my book.

spacerocker

Reaction score
The overpowering volume between speakers with different sensitivity has never being a real thing, for me at least. I often hear stories such as "don't put together a V30 and a GB cause you wont hear the latter". Never occurred to me, even the lowest sensitivity speaker always contributes to the overall sound. And both V30+GB and V30+T75 are total winners in my book.

It's quite difficult to hear the contribution from individual speakers in a 4x12 Cab - you tend to hear the overall sound. That is why I believed my 4x12 loaded with V30s and G12Ts in an "X" pattern sounded great! - until I tried an All-V30 cab. If get close to each speaker (not at full volume, obviously!) you can clearly hear that the G12Ts are significantly quieter than the V30s. Of course the G12Ts are still contributing - but the overall sound is still V30.....I would say what you hear is perhaps 70% V30 and 30% G12T75 (subjectively).

So - for me - the "overpowering volume between speakers" is most definitely a real thing. And it's not just due to the different speaker sensitivities, it is also due to the different frequency response, with the ear "hearing" V30s as louder because of the so-called upper mid spike (which in reality is the lack of the "hole" in the G12T response at those frequencies...) in addition to the higher speaker efficiency....

A cab with all V30s is a wall of sound - a car firing on all 4! The V30/G12T mix, on the other hand, is a car that still performs well, but has a slight misfire at high revs.....