• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

G12T-75 V30 combo

• Thread starter Deftone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I brought a single V30 to try and fitted to my 4x12. I can’t remember what the other speakers were creambacks or similar. The result was I thought my soldering was duff as all I could hear was the V30 it completely drowned out the other speakers. I have used V30 ever since.

Zado

Reaction score
It's quite difficult to hear the contribution from individual speakers in a 4x12 Cab - you tend to hear the overall sound
Normally, yes, but I've recently paired 2 2x12 cabs, a Blackstar Artisan with GBs and a Laney with V30s, with the latter being on bottom position. This gave me the chance to go thru each single cab and both together with ease, and it confirmed my impressions: the GBs was far from being submerged by the V30s. Sure, the cabs aren't similar volume wise, but still. You just need to keep the V30s closer to the floor.

stack.jpg

Headache

Reaction score
I love the mix.
It's especially great if you home record, you can mic a different speaker to give you a different flavor, or mic 1 of each and blend them.
It's true the 30s seem a little louder, but I really think they blend very well in my opinion.

rick16v

Reaction score
Awesome combination. Yes the V30 is louder but it's not like you don't hear them both at rehearsal volume.

I can't comment about when they're mic'd up.

Deftone

Reaction score
I finally got around to doing this. HUGE difference IMHO. G12T-75's are on the bottom, V30's on top. 1960 Vintage B cab. I absolutely love the combo with the 2204. Sounds incredible.

Through four V30's, My JCM800 2204 has always sounded nasaly or compressed (for lack of a better term). Sounded like the 1st Boston album to my ears. Not a bad tone, actually pretty awesome, just not exactly what I am looking for. My 2205 through the same cab sounds the almost the same, but a bit more range. I would say I preferred the 2205 to the 2204 though four V30's. (2205 was modified to run EL34's)

I recently bought a pair of 1966 cabs loaded with G12T-75's. So I played the 2204 through those and it sounded like a completely different amp. Next I tried the 2204 through my 2061CX 2x12 with a V30/G12H-30 combo. Again, totally different. Both were better than the four V30's, IMHO.

I A/B'd the 2204 with my 2500 SL-X which is still going through four V30's in a 1960 Vintage A cab. They sound almost identical now. I'd give the edge the the SL-X though, it was a bit clearer, while the 2204 was a bit more organic. Barely noticeable difference really. Both amps and cabs together in stereo was superb.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Thought id jump in to ask a question. I have the opportunity to pick up a 412 loaded with G12T-75s. Now, im a greenback guy and i was wondering if anybody has ever tried that to mix these two speakers. Its an A cab so i was thinking to put the greenbacks on top and the 75's at the bottom. Any advice?

Deftone

Reaction score
Thought id jump in to ask a question. I have the opportunity to pick up a 412 loaded with G12T-75s. Now, im a greenback guy and i was wondering if anybody has ever tried that to mix these two speakers. Its an A cab so i was thinking to put the greenbacks on top and the 75's at the bottom. Any advice?
I have not. I'm guessing you won't like the G12T-75's if you like greenbacks. It's worth trying but I think if you buy the 4x12 you will end up with four greenbacks.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I have not. I'm guessing you won't like the G12T-75's if you like greenbacks. It's worth trying but I think if you buy the 4x12 you will end up with four greenbacks.
You are absolutely right @Deftone. I tried a 1936 cab loaded with T-75s with an SV20H and i find them cold sounding. I should have been more specific in my first post.... I was wondering how two 25W speaker will sound with two 75W ones. Will i just hear the 75s? I do plan to have four greenbacks eventually and sell the 75s....

Deftone

Reaction score
You are absolutely right @Deftone. I tried a 1936 cab loaded with T-75s with an SV20H and i find them cold sounding. I should have been more specific in my first post.... I was wondering how two 25W speaker will sound with two 75W ones. Will i just hear the 75s? I do plan to have four greenbacks eventually and sell the 75s....
FWIW: T-75's don't sell well here....maybe $50 USD if you're lucky while V30's get $100 or more. Greenbacks are a lot more.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how two 25W speaker will sound with two 75W ones. Will i just hear the 75s?
Power handling rating does not equate to volume.
Look at the sensitivity:
1654098582634.png
Probably not a noticeable difference in hearing one over the other when used together.
Might be more of what's on top / bottom.
The 25w will burst into flames much sooner, but whether you like the mix of tones is your call.

Deftone

Reaction score
Look at the sensitivity:
View attachment 109013
Probably not a noticeable difference in hearing one over the other when used together.
The 25w will burst into flames much sooner, but whether you like the mix of tones is your call.
Were you the one asking me about the Marshall vs. Mesa V30's? I think I am going to compare them.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Look at the sensitivity:
View attachment 109013
Thank you Fitz! This place is like tje school i never went to....Im in talks with this guy who has the cab. I will trade my dsl5c for it. I do love that amp but i dont play it much and i really want a 4x12...

Deftone

Reaction score
Wasn't me.
I've heard they are drastically different, and I've heard they are identical.
Probably somewhere in between...
IMHO it's a myth. There's a V30 video saying there is no difference and Celestion claims no difference other than the label. I'm not sure I would be the best person to compare but I'm going to try it.