• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

G12T-75, Vintage, and Greenback's: tone?

• Thread starter LPJohnny
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPJohnny

Reaction score
I'm interested in the tonal difference between the G12T-75 (75 W),
Vintage (70 W), and the Greenback's (30 W)? All of which, I think,
are currently available from Marshall. I'd be using them in a 1960A
4 x 12. Can some people here comment on their experience?

I play mostly old school metal, hard rock, and some punk. Thx!

LPJohnny

Last edited:

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
75 - Scooped sound (No mids, pronounced highs)
V30 (Actually 60w) - Mids are pronounced
Greenbacks (actually 25) - Vintage cone breakup (I would only use for tube amps)

I have played all. I really don't know yet what ones I like best but those are the characteristics I noticed about them. I would go for the vintage 30 from your description, you don't need the greenbacks.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
you can edit your post by clicking edit on the right box of your post.

LPJohnny

Reaction score
I'm currently using a 1960A with the G12T-75's, with a JCM 800
or Mesa Mk III head. Why do you think the Vintage30 speakers would
be better for say metal tones, when many metal tones are scooped?

Xiderpunk

Reaction score
I'm currently using a 1960A with the G12T-75's, with a JCM 800
or Mesa Mk III head. Why do you think the Vintage30 speakers would
be better for say metal tones, when many metal tones are scooped?

I also have a 1960A and have been planning on putting in two V-30's into a X pattern with the existing G12T-75's, although yet to do it so can't give opinion on it. From what I understand bands like Megadeth and Metallica use and have always used V30's in their cabs (Marshall in Megadeth's case and Mesa for Metallica).

I asked about this once before in this forum and was advised the V30's and the G12T-75's make a good mix.

satchfan

Reaction score
I have just replaced the GT12 75s in my 1936 cab for V30s, I've not had the chance to compare them yet but I'll know better after our next band rehearsal & post results.

I always thought the GT75s were a little too bright sounding, having said that I've built another cab to house them in using slightly thicker wood with a upright baffle, rather than the slopped baffle that's used in the 1936, & sealed the handles & back panel etc so again I need to try it in full flight.

Steve.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will love the tone of the V-30's and the tone
is ajustable for metal, they have good low end
and highs if you scoop them, you may need to
scoop the mids a little more,
but you will still get a tastier tone

combining the two is a great idea

spikei

Reaction score
hi, im using a g12c 25w with a gt 75 in my 1936 cab, it breaks up earlier and gives a brighter sound to the cab. it does bring the watts down to 50w but it is a lot brighter sound with my tsl 60 which i have found to compressed. this does give more tone to my sound.

DragonSarc

Reaction score
I have a 1960Vintage cab and a 1960lead cab and comparing those 2 you could really tell the difference, the lead cab has G12T75s and excellent for metal thrash or death due to its scooped sound and really bright, the vintage has V30s and it has better mids the highs are about the same but more bass/low end excellent for blues to rock and can do metal and death, now so experimenting it i switched pairs on each cab so basically 1 cab has the V30s and GT75s and didnt really like it, the GT75s are over powering the v30s making it bright and harsh, I recommend just leaving the V30s and GT by them selves instead of mixing it, I play from blues to rock to metal and some death and the v30s just like Coldsteal said can handle all of them im planing to sell the 1960lead and get me another Vintage cab. Just my .02 :hippie: