G12T speaker info???

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently acquired a 212 cab and I’m trying to determine the max wattage. It used to be a Marshall VS8240 amp. The amp and all of the info on the back panel has been removed. It has been converted to a 212 cab with a speaker jack on the back. The guy I bought it from said it is wired for 8ohm mono. There are two Marshall Celestion speakers labeled G12T. They are both stamped 4ohm. I confirmed with my multimeter that the cabinet is reading 8ohm. I would like to know the max wattage for these speakers. IMG_7699.jpeg

RLW59

Reaction score
Some Google results suggest they were specifically for the Valvestate line. So possibly a lower cost speaker like the Marshall/Celestion G12T-66 Marquee (used in the Haze line). The Marquee was nominally rated for 66 watts.

A lot of results say the G12T was basically the same as the G12T-75. But you can't rule out the possibility they subbed in a lower wattage voice coil.

VS8240 was stereo 40 watts per channel so 40 watts per speaker. Solid state amps don't drastically exceed their ratings when cranked up all the way. So Marshall had plenty of room to shave off power handling for a lower unit cost.

I'd probably be inclined to treat it like no more than a 60 watt speaker, especially in a series cab where the amp would be totally unloaded if one speaker blew.

Reaction score
Some Google results suggest they were specifically for the Valvestate line. So possibly a lower cost speaker like the Marshall/Celestion G12T-66 Marquee (used in the Haze line). The Marquee was nominally rated for 66 watts.

A lot of results say the G12T was basically the same as the G12T-75. But you can't rule out the possibility they subbed in a lower wattage voice coil.

VS8240 was stereo 40 watts per channel so 40 watts per speaker. Solid state amps don't drastically exceed their ratings when cranked up all the way. So Marshall had plenty of room to shave off power handling for a lower unit cost.

I'd probably be inclined to treat it like no more than a 60 watt speaker, especially in a series cab where the amp would be totally unloaded if one speaker blew.
Thank you. I actually sent a message to Celestion. They got back to me quickly and said those speakers are old school lol. They said they are 100w speakers.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The discontinued G12T-100 (or Hot 100) was actually purported by Celestion to respond well to 'hybrid' amps.

"With a massive 100W power rating, this speaker sits perfectly in high-power or hybrid amplifiers. It voices a modern sound with a big bass presence."

So, being in a Valvestate cab makes sense.

I use two of them with my Valvestate VS65R: one in the combo and one in a 1912 cab.
They are both 16's, wired parallel for 8 ohms, and work really well.

They were also purported (again, by Celestion) to be Kerry King's speaker of choice!
Not so sure of that one.

They were the last 'affordable' 4 ohm speaker they made.
Now you can only get a Neodymium Copperback (or an Eight 15, 8") in 4 ohm.

Latest posts