GC Origin20h Closeout

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
It's signal bleed. He actually showed it in the video. I'm not seeing anything fraudulent there. You wanted him to measure the guitar signal with a multi-meter?
The Gain pot he is talking about is in between V1b and V2a. So, the signal is amplified at this point.

1708305553345.png

Last edited:

What?

Reaction score
What did he show? The signal and how it's bleeding? He didn't even touch a voltmeter!

The guy also literary said "this signal is out of phase with the signal which is amplified". In order to have a signal out of phase with something you need at least to have 2 phases. Phases are only applicable to AC. The guitar signal is AC. What is the other AC signal at the input of the amp?

Don't defend this guy, he's a fraud. He was paid to dismiss the amp. According to him Marshall engineers are fools. No, they are not.

A signal leaving the plate is of opposite phase of the signal entering it's grid. Bleeding the input signal into the output signal is going to have phase issues.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
The Origin's pre-amp is not like any other one. It is a totally new design and it takes way more knowledge to design it than designing a next minor variation of the Plexi.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
A signal leaving the plate is of opposite phase of the signal entering it's grid.
That is not the correct term to describe it, the signal gets inverted ("out of phase" sounds more scary and grumpy, I get it) which happens in each and every tube amp including all Marshall amps. How is this detrimental in anyway to Origin's performance?

Bleeding the input signal into the output signal is going to have phase issues.
What? That's what amps do, "bleeding" the signal from input to output! Only "bleeding" is a fumy way to describe it :) In order to have phase issues you need to have as a minimum 2 phazes existing at the same time. You phisically can't have phaze issues with one phase signal. What are the signals?

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I opened up a can of worms, I just tried an amp, lol.

No a V30 is not a speaker I would normally use @fitz , I much more prefer Greenbacks and Creambacks.

But even at store volumes I’ll get an inkling as whether or not I like an amp, or more importantly, if I’d play the amp,… but not being able to return it is a dealbreaker for me. if there was a return policy I probably would’ve bought it.

What?

Reaction score
If anything looks defective here it's your trolling. Stop spewing BS.

I mean, V1B is on the left, V1A is on the right. I guess the signal can flow whichever direction it wants to in this amp. :scratch:

I say, if you like it buy it. I think something sounds pretty off with it, and that seems correlate with what Psionic Audio shows in his video.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

No a V30 is not a speaker I would normally use @fitz , I much more prefer Greenbacks and Creambacks.

But even at store volumes I’ll get an inkling as whether or not I like an amp, or more importantly, if I’d play the amp,… but not being able to return it is a dealbreaker for me. if there was a return policy I probably would’ve bought it.
Can of worms, LOL.
Channel bleeding worms... :rofl:

I also prefer GB's & CB's - actually just switched my O20 cabs from M25's to H75's.
Speakers can make more than a subtle difference with these amps.

Tubes can also make some surprising tone changes.
With the cathode bias on the 20's (like the Studios) the amp gives you the option of running all kinds of octal base power tubes.
I've run from 6V6's to 6550's.
KT66's give it a JTM kinda vibe, but I think I've settled on 6CA7's.

I get where you're coming from, the Origin amps are kinda Plain Jane out of the box.
Like @solarburn mentioned, I'm also a pedal whore, and the classic voiced Origins work really well with the classic overdrive pedals.
I also like a little reverb & chorus, and without some TBE in the loop, the Origins can be a little sterile.

That clearance price is hard to beat, and probably won't go much lower when new stock is gone.
But I also get that not every amp works for everyone's tastes.

Last edited:

vivanchenko

Reaction score
I mean, V1B is on the left, V1A is on the right. I guess the signal can flow whichever direction it wants to in this amp. :scratch:
You can swap the letters if it works better for you. This won't change the way the amp works.
I say, if you like it buy it. I think something sounds pretty off with it, and that seems correlate with what Psionic Audio shows in his video.
I do own the 50W Origin and I am loving it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. One of the best things I ever had. The right way to look at it is that it is "one more color/flavor on my pallet".

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I played an origin once and I had no idea how to make it sound good . I even had a OCD in front and never got to moment I liked it. I don't remember the speaker. But there was a issue, maybe the cable.
It was not turned up enough I am sure.
Sounds like a good price.
It also sounds like a Boss Distortion was made for this amp.
Anyway , to late. I'm in hot water with my better half because I just bought a DSL40 CR.

SloJimFizz

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Guitar Center still has their return policy included on close out items. It's available on their used items and most everything else they sell, why would they yank it on a close out and leave you hanging.
That's a good price for the 20, wonder how low the 50 will go. I really like my 50 watt Origin head, bleed and all or whatever their yammering on about.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I also like a little reverb & chorus, and without some TBE in the loop, the Origins can be a little sterile.
This goes for all Marshall's for me, not just the Origin's. To be honest IMHO all amps sound sterile without at least a little reverb. I just hate the sound of a dry amp unless you are playing somewhere with a lot of natural reverb/echo. Even then I still love some chorus, delay and flange for other TBE's.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Id rather you be honest about not liking an amp. Means more to me and makes me a bit more discerning. You know, am I talking myself into something i shouldn't. Easy to get influenced one way or another.

The Origin and 5150 Iconic clips were not what I liked. I took a gamble on both. Fortunately both amps worked out for me. I have no problem sending an amp back when i dont like. Both amps were polar opposites though. Origin required pedals to get it on(for me)and the Iconic laughs at any kind of boost brought near it. I heard it laughing!

Out of my Plexi, SC800, Iconics(both), and ORI50 I play the Ori and 5150's the most. However the SC is right there. If it was a 100 watter the order of play would change. I love it through the 212 loaded with a Celestion Gold/Blue alnicos!!!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Origin 50H goez thru either a 412 of H30's/Heritage 65's, 412 of H30's/V30's, and a 412 of Heritage 20 watt greenbacks. I get to pick which cab at any given moment. Sounds great and different thru each. Speakers are everything. For all my amps.

Yes. It cost me a lot of $ to find this out. And what i liked best for each amp. Lot of time, money, and effort. And crazy looks from the wife. Some a little more cray than others. Bills, food, rent and her pleasures are intact. Happy wife? More gear.

She hasn't realized the Epi Firebird is new yet. I keep playing it in front of her but she's not noticed it being different from the others yet. Hehe. I should take a picture of her face when she does. Her response would tell all.

You know its all in how you look at it. I enjoy a good beating. Makes me randy. :naughty:

That's why dudes won't fuck with me. I cray. In a bad way.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Easy to get influenced one way or another.
Which goes to show how subjective it is. Placebo is a real thing. Most if not all people who say that the amp "just doesn't sound good" won't be able to tell it from any other Marshall amp in a blind test. We are herd animals, we need to know what's the consensus before we encourage ourselves to form our own judgement, and this will influence greatly a person's perception in the future, that is what prejudice is.

Most people on this forum love you playing your Origin. Most if not all of them can't tell what amp you are playing through unless you tell them. If you tell them that you are playing through your Plexi, each and everyone will readily believe you. What else do you need to know? Just keep rocking!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which goes to show how subjective it is. Placebo is a real thing. Most if not all people who say that the amp "just doesn't sound good" won't be able to tell it from any other Marshall amp in a blind test. We are herd animals, we need to know what's the consensus before we encourage ourselves to form our own judgement, and this will influence greatly a person's perception in the future, that is what prejudice is.

Most people on this forum love you playing your Origin. Most if not all of them can't tell what amp you are playing through unless you tell them. If you tell them that you are playing through your Plexi, each and everyone will readily believe you. What else do you need to know? Just keep rocking!
:agreed: