Gear p#rn - my new MIDI-controlled twin-DSL rig...

• Thread starter Jay Low
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Low

Reaction score
Guys and gals,

I’m proud to present my new rig for the "premium" gigs. It’s based on two DSL 50’s running one UK-made 1960ax w/ Greenbacks, controlled by some MIDI tools in a 6U rack. There’s also a small pedalboard in the rack.

Let’s have a short walkthru on it…

AMPS

DSL #1, “crunch amp” (top): this DSL is used as a single channel amp in the green crunch mode, it's basically my main rhythm channel. I’ve been using a 2203 here as well, but I’m not happy with the sound I get out of it on the volume levels accepted by FOH guys. With the DSL I will also get an FX loop, which is nice.

DSL #2, “lead amp”: this one is used as a two-channel amp. I mostly play it with the red lead1 mode on, producing my lead sound. The green channel in the clean mode gets played occasionally, too.

RACK (top to down)

Metroamp Head Master amp switcher: both heads are connected into this fantastic device, which allows me to use two heads with one cab. Grounds and loads the idle amp.

ART Nitro multi-fx: a classic multi-FX from the 90’s, still very valid to provide some bread&butter live fx. Connected to the fx loop of the lead amp, provides some delay for the leads and serves as a tuner/mute. Follows MIDI commands via Rocktron.

Rocktron Loop 8: an 8-way looper, used to control the stomp boxes in the rack pedalboard, the amp switcher and the amp channel switching. The looper is controlled by MIDI pedal, the ART is connected into MIDI thru of the looper.

Loops 1-6 are for the pedalboard in the rack, loops 7&8 are controlling the switches:

Loop 1: EHX Soul Food, used basically as a clean boost to push the clean channel a bit
Loop 2: Boss SD-1, a mild overdrive pushing the amps drive channels – this thing is a must-have for me, it's in my DNA!
Loop 3: Ibanez FLL, a classic flanger to warm up the slow dancing numbers – you know, ladies just love it! :naughty:
Loops 4-5: currently empty
Loop 6: Line6 Echo Park delay, connected to the fx loop of the crunch amp

Loop 7: controls the Head Master amp switcher
Loop 8: controls the channel switching of the lead amp

I have a few presets, witch are called by a Tech21 MidiMouse MIDI pedal. The other devices on my floor pedalboard are an old MXR Phase 90 and a wah pedal. Love the small amount of pedals on the floor!

So that's it, hope you liked it! Gotta tell you, I’m extremely happy and proud about this setup!

Cheers,
Jay :hbang::shred::cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 97

Jay Low

Reaction score
Id put the 6 space rack case on the 4x12, its bending in the middle.

Dan, you're right about the bend. Still I think it's more aesthetic to have the amps on the rack... ;)

In fact I'm about to invest in a new, more robust rack with the wheels at some point. The one in the pics is an old SKB rack that was lying in our training place.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Dan, you're right about the bend. Still I think it's more aesthetic to have the amps on the rack... ;)

In fact I'm about to invest in a new, more robust rack with the wheels at some point. The one in the pics is an old SKB rack that was lying in our training place.

I have the same SKB case. :yesway:

dslman

Reaction score
I use to have almost the same setup , DSL's don't stack well because of the heat vents being where the feet should set. They slide off each other like ice blocks. I would duct tape the feet when stacking for safety. Chasing rabbits--sorry, but the cleans w/ stereo DSL'S is quite nice, and the crunch is something that takes a while to get the handle on, for me I like a mono DSL crunch tone for a sharper attack and punchier response. I lugged that setup across town for a few years on a weekly basis and it got the best of me after that. No doubt , you will have many compliments on your new sounds if you get them harnessed in properly.

dslman

Reaction score
If you haven't tried running DSL'S in stereo at least for the cleans , I can highly recommend it. With all that you have going on there ,it should be easy and the benefits are worth it especially when running time based effects in the loop.

dslman

Reaction score
Wish I still had my golf clubs to.

Jay Low

Reaction score
DSL's don't stack well because of the heat vents being where the feet should set. They slide off each other like ice blocks. I would duct tape the feet when stacking for safety.

If you haven't tried running DSL'S in stereo at least for the cleans , I can highly recommend it. With all that you have going on there ,it should be easy and the benefits are worth it especially when running time based effects in the loop.

Thanks for the input, man. Actually, the 50 watter doesn't have heat vents, so I'm not facing that challenge as such. Anyway, I will def figure out something to prevent the stack falling down. Rubber feet, truck belt or something.

Indeed, I have plans to run the amps in stereo some day. With our current group I don't think it will happen, since our stereo image is pretty filled already. I find that using stereo rig is most convenient in a three-piece band, where the effects can really been utilized and heard. Hopefully our power trio will become active soon again!

BTW, had a first rehearsal today with the rig. Hell yeah! Other guys in the band liked what they heard, too. Did some tube rolling in the crunch amp, which is new for me. A fresh pair of Tung-Sol EL34's and a mixture of JJ/Ruby/TAD 12AX7's made that little devil scream! :hbang:

dslman

Reaction score
Right on !! I use to stack both my heads on a cab and used a fold-able stand for the SKB , it looked menacing and made everything easy to get to without bending over .
Never tried a true DSL50, I did play a two tube 100, and it seemed under powered which I know the DSL50 is not.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
if yer feelin' frisky-

494_dualhead-plus-8-rack-1.jpg