geezer cab and eminence wizzards

• Thread starter woodddj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

woodddj

Reaction score
i just scored a sweet deal, or atleast i think i scored a sweet deal on a 2x12 GEEZER cab loaded with eminence wizzards. has anyone heard or know anything about the quality of these cabs? i was wanting to get a orange ppc112, but i was also comparing prices on 2x12 cabs. but i was able to grab the geezer that was loaded, much cheaper than most of the unloaded cabs. the cab was also made with 13 ply birch plywood and not that paper/sawdust crap

zenfly

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
i just scored a sweet deal, or atleast i think i scored a sweet deal on a 2x12 GEEZER cab loaded with eminence wizzards.

Sounds like a sweet score. Two Wizards will be loud.

How loud?

Loud enough that if you are using a 50 watt amp, they will get as loud or louder than a 100 watt amp into a 412 cab with 97dB speakers.

I have two Eminence Man 'O War speakers in my TSL122 combo and they will keep up with almost any 412 cab and the MOW's are not as sensitive as the Wizards.

woodddj

Reaction score
Yep zenfly, that's the cab. I've been looking at avatar, sourmash and several other cab companies. I was able to get the cab for $245 and with the two wizzards i feel it was a good price. Most of the cabs I have been looking at were well over $200 unloaded.

woodddj

Reaction score
Marty i had a Texas heat a couple of years ago that I had bought to put in my AVT50 combo. Great sounding speaker, only wished I had kept it when I sold my AVT. I've never heard any of the red coat speakers, but I hear a lot of good reviews about them.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I've tried almost every 12-inch Eminence speaker. The Red Coats are really good. Some are clones of Celestion's, but I think the Eminence speakers sound better. I don't like the G12T-75's and the Man 'O War is the clone of the 75 and I love it, because it has a fatter, chunkier midrange.

I had a 212 cab with Wizards and it was a paint peeler. It is hard to pair anything up with one of these, because they are so damn loud. The Wizard's do have a lot of top end, so prepare yourself for that.

woodddj

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the wizard marty. Yea, I've heard great things about the MOW's also. I actually tried to win a pair off eBay not to long ago, but got beat down at the end. Lol ... I ended up getting a pair of celestion G12T hot 100's from avitar for about $70, Couldn't pass that up.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
When I was making custom cabinets, I used to sell a 212 cab with a canted baffle. Both 12's were mounted at 15 degrees. This gave the cab a wider sound pattern. When used with Swamp Thangs or Man 'O Wars, these cabs were very loud and could handle most gigs with ease. If I can get by with a 212 cab, I do it. They are so much easier to load and on small stages they give you more room to set up.

woodddj

Reaction score
I bet those cabs sounded awesome. Yea i already have a 2x12 and a 4x12, and I find myself using the 2x12 more often. If I go to a friends house, I always grab the 2x12 for the light weight and less room. That's why I was looking for a orange ppc112, but I guess im just stuck with two 2x12 cabs since I got that geezer coming. Lol

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well when I was a gigging musician, part of my rig was (2) 212 cabs. This gave me the flexibility of using one or both depending on venue size.

The other thing is when you use two high power Eminence speakers like the Swamp Thang or Man 'O War, the cab is rated at 300 watts for the ST and 240 watts for the MOW. Not only are they very sensitive, with that kind of power handling, you can hit the max SPL the amp can deliver...if needed. Two Wizards makes a 150 watt 212 cab which is still pretty darn good.

tele0123

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of 1x12 Geezer cabs on craigs list a few years back and they have served me very well....Might be looking to sell them now and downsize a bit.....There awesome cabs and built like a tank.

drewbertca

Reaction score
Can't say anything about the cabs. they look nice. But I had a 2x12 with Wizards in it. AWESOME Speakers. They sound amazing and are loud. How loud, you ask? My Epi Valve Jr. could keep up with drums with room on the dial. easily. of course not clean since the epi breaks up pretty early. My 100W Peavey Windsor could make ears bleed at like 4. Sold the windsor and the cab together. Wish I could have kept the cab or at least the speakers from it, but I didn't have anything to load in there when I sold it......You'll like them.