Getting A Dsl To Sound Like A Super Lead Plexi???

• Thread starter deckard1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goldmember

Reaction score
Although I don't own a SL Plexi, I have read that the quest for such tone (with the DSL) resides in the Green channel.

Last edited:

thunderstruck507

Reaction score
Not sure about a DSL but if I crank the gain on the clean channel of my TSL and then push it hard with an OD it gets sounds I would associate with a plexi.

The Crunch and Lead channels are both too harsh on the gain IMO. They sound like distortion, not an overdriven single channel tube amp. If I dial the gain waaaay back on the crunch channel it's a great classic rock tone but not as plexi sounding as the clean channel IMO.

deckard1

Reaction score
Thanks for the great responses.

I don't like a lot of distortion. I keep the gain at 3 on Lead #1 otherwise there is too much distortion. I am using a relatively low-output humbucking pickup too. Kind of surprising.

What really makes a difference though is when I use the attenuator. Completely transforms the tone of the amp. Night and day. The tone goes from 'good' to 'very very good'. :)

WholeLottaGlove

Reaction score
I get fairly close to Plexi tones on the Lead 1 channel of my DSL50 after doing the C12 mod.

EADGBE

Reaction score
I'm guessing putting the amp in the classic gain channel. And then turn the volumes up high with the gain low. And then use the gain as the volume.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
If you mean EVH Plexi tones then there's more to it than simply setting a DSL to resemble a Plexi. As many have memtioned, the Plexis have no Master Volume and Gain or pre amp control so pushing the output section is a must. It will be very loud!
Try some of the mentioned methods and play that bad boy!

deckard1

Reaction score
If you mean EVH Plexi tones then there's more to it than simply setting a DSL to resemble a Plexi. As many have memtioned, the Plexis have no Master Volume and Gain or pre amp control so pushing the output section is a must. It will be very loud!
Try some of the mentioned methods and play that bad boy!

You mention pushing the output tubes. There is a huge difference...for the better...when I use an attenuator to push the output tubes. It's a different amp.

WholeLottaGlove

Reaction score
You mention pushing the output tubes. There is a huge difference...for the better...when I use an attenuator to push the output tubes. It's a different amp.

Do you mean using an attenuator with a DSL? I've always wondered if I needed one for my DSL50. The consensus seems to be mixed.

*Edit- Just read your prior post. Seems it works great for you

deckard1

Reaction score
Do you mean using an attenuator with a DSL? I've always wondered if I needed one for my DSL50. The consensus seems to be mixed.

*Edit- Just read your prior post. Seems it works great for you

As you probably already know, attenuators themselves can be very expensive. I don't have a very expensive attenuator so I am a bit cautious with it. I don't max out the attenuator...I put it about midway...and the sonic differences of the amp are very noticeable.

WholeLottaGlove

Reaction score
As you probably already know, attenuators themselves can be very expensive. I don't have a very expensive attenuator so I am a bit cautious with it. I don't max out the attenuator...I put it about midway...and the sonic differences of the amp are very noticeable.

Nice :) How is the noise? Is there a lot added when you use the attenuator vs not?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Or, perhaps a more appropriate question would be 'how close' can a DSL get to sounding like a Super Lead Plexi??? :)

Most Marshalls sound "similar", especially when recorded. The differences are mostly in how they respond to your guitar(s) and playing. I can make my DSL100 sound "similar" to my 1959RI, but it's a much stiffer playing amp and does not react to my playing the same as the 1959RI. This is not specific to the DSL100. In general, master volume amps just react differently than non master volume amps.

deckard1

Reaction score
Most Marshalls sound "similar", especially when recorded. The differences are mostly in how they respond to your guitar(s) and playing. I can make my DSL100 sound "similar" to my 1959RI, but it's a much stiffer playing amp and does not react to my playing the same as the 1959RI. This is not specific to the DSL100. In general, master volume amps just react differently than non master volume amps.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Why does the amp I have sound so much better with the attenuator? Is it the output tubes?