Ghosts Of Guitars Past

• Thread starter AlvisX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So social media recently re-connected me with a friend I had not seen / heard from in 33 years .....like FINALLY , that sh*t is good for somethin . A young punk rock girl , artist / artisan.
I was 26-27 ,still in the Coast Guard .On my days off I was hangin around Subway Guitars in Berkeley , fixing the odd amplifier and learning the ins & outs of guitar mechanics . I met a dude in there , a woodworker and multi instrumentalist, named Scotty. He was a former Memphian ,so we kinda hit it off, just talkin about livin in the South.
He had a band , a trio ....very abrasive punky thing . The lived / rehearsed in this small warehouse situation in Oakland . He said I should hang out , try to play some music .... So I started hangin out over there after guitar store hours. Eventually it was proposed that their rhythm section work up a set with me ,and we'd have two bands ...and play some warehouse parties around the hood. This was cool because the drummer was very well schooled ,the son of one of the top jazz drummers in Canada. So it was a real pleasure to play with this kid.
So anyhow, this young lady from Austin was around taking pictures of the various goings on . So as we re-connected a month or so ago , she tells me she has these pics I need to see ,and subsequently emails them to me

As shocking as it is to see yourself in a place you'd forgotten about 30yrs ago , it was even MORE shocking to see the gear .
So Im standing there with a 1964 transitional "Tuxedo" 4 knob Princeton AND a white Tele . Im lookin at the guitar trying to remember whose tele that is . Was it a Squier that I borrowed from the store ? Then it hit me , this was MY '68 Tele . I had completely forgotten about that guitar . Im not really sure why I no longer have it . Either I sold it for motorcycle parts OR it went to financing my "unplugged" career ,as it was .

In the 45 years since I started playing , Ive had three "official" Fender Teles (not counting the Tele-sonic that Fender gave me)
...A Lake Placid '59 I sold to Junior Watson, The White '68 and the '75 Mocha which I still have .This is the only photographic evidence that I owned this guitar . Thanks for readin'

Deftone

Reaction score
That is cool. I'm from the west Bay Area myself and lived in the south '87-88 at Ft. Campbell, KY. Spent some time in Nashville and even attended a concert in Memphis (Monsters of Rock '88) Those were my band days too, I'd love to see a pic of the band back then.

FB is good for keeping in touch with old friends. It's helped me stay in touch with my Army buddies in GA, ID and NY. And I even re-connected with an old girlfriend in Nashville.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Wow , how cool is that ? Olympic white Tele with rosewood board ,white black white 3 ply guard .Do you remember if your 68 Tele had the smugglers routes ?

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got that amp when I lived in Natchez , at The Old South Pawnshop
That was still back in the 80s . These people were kinda ol school .You could walk in there and TRADE mostly anything of value.
I went in there one day and spied this amp AND a 64 SG jr ... I had to have 'em ,BOTH
So I go back out to my truck and get the shotgun from behind my seat ( NO , stop right there you fools....not for robbery , it was in a case )
It was a pretty unique firearm , Winchester 7 shot 12 ga, 3" capable , Parkerized finish. It was some kind of marine law enforcement model, that I had paid $175 for at a pawnshop across the river
. Well, when these hillbillies (and it takes one to know one....) saw that shotgun, their eyes lit up like a kid at Xmas...
I became the proud owner of a '64 transition Princeton AND a 64 SG Junior
Man ,you just don't have deals like that anymore !!!

Last edited:

lespaul339

Reaction score
Damn, man! That was a killer trade. Do you still have the SG JR? I love all the Gibson JR Models. The simplicity of them, and they're absolute tone machines!