Best Speaker Choice for a 1x12 Cab

• Thread starter Mark_G
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which one for what I described?

• Green

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Cream

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
AND, Jim I owe you an apology. I have a Scumbak Scumnico-PVC 65W in a Marshall cab I have gigged with a lot. Not known as a Greenback replacement, but a fine speaker in its own right. I know other pickers who have Scumbaks in there equipment and they stay there. Good product also.
Hey, it's all good. Glad the S75-PVC is kicking butt for you. I know I'm the "dirty little secret" in the speaker world, and that's ok!

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Out of the two poll choices then Cream but really the Creamback is Celestion's weak attempt to copy the Scumback M75 (great great speaker!)....which is what I would suggest for the OP. But the Scumback guy is a weirdo and very erratic so there's a couple very nice used ones on Reverb at reasonable prices. Or buy direct from Scumback but....sometimes he's ok.
Really? I'm erratic and a weirdo? Ok, fine...but with 20,000 clients over 21 years, some may think you're not being truthful here. Be that as it may, you're entitled to your opinion. Just curious, though, how did I wrong you?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I voted for the Creamback because out of the choices I like one in a 112, but I think 2 of them in a 212 cab sounds better. I'm running a WGS Veteran 30 in my 112 cab. I tried several speakers in my 112 cab and the Veteran wins hands down.

NickKUK

Reaction score
Something to think about - human perception of the same volume but different frequencies has been shown to follow a curve of sensitivity. Not surprising higher frequencies are perceived as louder for the same volume. This may explain why they err towards the creamback M-65 reduced upper band as they didn't want to have a yet another shrill speaker option at 65W.

The creamback M-65 may not be the immediate impressive option but it's a safe option longer term to blend in as a rhythm player. However the likes of SB, WGS etc all have taken that and added the missing detail without adding fiz by the sounds of it.

Like all speakers - there's never a single speaker that does everything.. and never a speaker that sounds the same at low and high volumes.

Last edited:

Mark_G

Reaction score
Based on what the OP has stated, I would recommend a Scumback BM75 as the speaker you're looking for. It's the late 70's BlackBack G12M recreation I make. Get the 65w and you should be good to go. You can always fill out my recommendation form and I will know exactly what you need.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I have some preexisting Sweetwater credit that'll easily cover a speaker replacement/upgrade. That's why I was leaning toward a Celestion purchased through them because of less out of pocket expense. While I am sure a creamback 65-70 will be safer power handling and also sound good, I do really love the tone of G12M's. So I think I'll live a little 'wildly' and go for the Greenback--with full awareness that it is not the ideal match because of limited power handling as a single. It'll be an experiment, but I'm willing to give it a try. However, if that proves to be a mistake; e.g. flub, harshness, blowing up, etc... I will NOT even hesitate to go for one of your speakers next! For some years, I have read (and heard in demos) nothing but GREAT things about your designs.
And I really appreciate you contributing to this thread. 👍

NickKUK

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that speakers are really a trial and error. So many variables make it a try that and that, then sell on the one you've decided against.

Mark_G

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that speakers are really a trial and error. So many variables make it a try that and that, then sell on the one you've decided against.
All true. I still like to ask people with experience, watch/listen to demos and read specs as a general guideline to help narrow things down. But yeah, in the end, it's all an experiment.

Mark_G

Reaction score
I ended up going for the G12H (55Hz), 30-watt, 16ohm. My rational is that the SV20H is very bright, even getting past the bright cap with volume at around the 5/6 range (though that certainly tapers it). So having a 55Hz green going into a 1x12 open back might help taper that a bit and will still yield the dominant greenback vibe. But until I actually get the cab in my possession (it's still on backorder), I'm yet to know how it plays out. If it works out as planned/hoped, I'll post a vid here.

Latest posts