Gibson Guitars - Bad Quarter And Price Increases Coming

• Thread starter John BNY
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to reports I'm seeing, Gibson had a lousy quarter. During a call with investors today, Gibson announced the company will be implementing a 10% price increase for its guitars effective September 15.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
yeah they increase the price for the customers that don't know the difference.
so they are making up for the stellar 2015 yr I'm guessing.

"damn people are getting smart. we need to boost the price to sucker in the
folks that really don't know any better"

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im glad I grabbed my gibsons when I did. I got my L.P. traditional for $1200 new. I bet they get better than 2 grand for them now.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Irrelevant really when one considers how many other brands make guitars as good as or better than Gibson for less with more options. Think Kiesel, PRS, Ibanez, ect.
That is very true, and I agree. But I also believe everyone needs at least one Les Paul, SG, Flying V, and Explorer,.. Not necessarily in that order..:)

EndGame00

Reaction score
Schecter Custom II is pretty much a LP Traditional clone (albiet 3 control knobs) for less price tag...

Henry J is committing a slow and painful suicide....

Shae201

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I bought a Gibson Les Paul studio recently and had to go through 3 of them to find one that didn't have a major flaw. One had stain drips that dried on the neck and another had a chuck taken out of the nut. All were new and from the Nashville factory. I've actually been impressed with Epiphone QC.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have Epis - not Pauls - and finally bought a real Gibby Classic early this year. I really like it! Great finish, bery well made, sounds great. Now, an Epi might sound similar, but I really preferred the nice real maple top and just wanted one.
That said, I wouldn't be in a hurry to drop another 2500 on another one. Lots of other nice guitars out there. They should lower sell prices for a short while till inventory is lowered and create cash flow. I mean, the 5k models are a bit much. Like really....

Kutt

Reaction score
With that extra revenue they can provide salary increases to their QC employees.

Oh, that's right. They don't have any QC employees.

Gibson workflow: bandsaw > cardboard box > dealer

Kutt

Reaction score
In all seriousness now, 90% of their problem is quality control. They fkucking REFUSE to correct those issues. Drives me nuts. I know first hand having bought a few of them since 2006. Wanted a couple others in recent years and finally threw my hands up in the air. If your company is something like 100 years old and you still cannot get a neck angle correct, you have serious, serious problems. I won't even go into all the other stuff.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'd love to have a V or Explorer but they seem to pricey. When it comes time, I'm gonna stick to used models. Probably from the pawn shop.

I have a Japanese made lower end Jackson V that was less than $200. It's a great guitar with mediocre pickups. That can be changed though!

I've owned a few Gibson's and they have a great tone that is hard to steer away from. The ones I've owned from the '80's and '90's were excellent guitars that smoked the ones I have owned in the 2000's era.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with a good epi either...My Epi standard plays and sounds great. Finding that good one is the challenge.

El Gringo

Reaction score
The way to stick it to them is to buy used as it is really a buyers market at halfway decent prices .This goes for Regular Gibson USA ,and Gibson Custom . Just know what your price point is and have at it .The market is really flooded with really good quality Gibson's across the lines .I also look at it like this about the fine mess that CEO Henry J. has created by getting rid of the dream team of Edwin Wilson / Rick Gembar , Who made Gibson Custom what it is and then his big thank you is to show them the door .

Last edited: