Gibson Les Paul Standard (issue)

• Thread starter Woody81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Woody81

Reaction score
hey,
So, I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard (2000) which I have a love/hate thing going on with.

1): I was overwhelmed when I bought it from the shop so bought the Ebony finish. I've spent the last 12 years wishing I had bought a burst...

2 and far more important): It can be a troublesome lady. She has some tuning issues on the G & B strings. I've started using 10's which has solved things 90%, but there's still something not right.

Do you think trying 11's would completely solve the problem?

I know I sound picky, but my other guitar is a PRS Custom 24, which essentially plays itself.!>!

I've heard that the new 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standards are brilliant and finally, have the issues solved... Could this be the answer ?

loveboat

Reaction score
What tuning issues are you having? Intonation? Going out of tune quickly?

If it's the latter, try lubricating the nut with some NutSauce or graphite from a pencil.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
hey,
So, I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard (2000) which I have a love/hate thing going on with.

1): I was overwhelmed when I bought it from the shop so bought the Ebony finish. I've spent the last 12 years wishing I had bought a burst...

2 and far more important): It can be a troublesome lady. She has some tuning issues on the G & B strings. I've started using 10's which has solved things 90%, but there's still something not right.

I know I sound picky, but my other guitar is a PRS Custom 24, which essentially plays itself.!>!

I've heard that the new 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standards are brilliant and finally, have the issues solved... Could this be the answer ?

Apparently the 2012 standards have solved the tuning issue some standards have experienced.

Some info in here, the video with Chappers talks about the tuning issue.
http://www.marshallforum.com/guitars/42526-gibson-lp-standards-2012-a.html

GL man

ESPVH

Reaction score
I have a '98 Standard that has been rock solid since '99, no issues, no problems, nothing after the first set-up, when I got it the action was a little high, but I put 10's on it, dropped the action, and it's been a solid player throughout. Not sure what the differences are, if any, between a '98 and a '00, I think '98 was the first year for Grovers, but I'm not sure. You can always hit up Marshall Forum's sister site mylespaul.com:
Les Paul Forums - MyLesPaul.com some knowledgeable guys there as well.

100_0548.jpg

John_L

Reaction score
Try switching to tusq saddles and nut. That can help plus look at more stable stings like DR's as some of the budget brands can make it worse. The main problem is that although Gibson solved all their inherent problems in the 70's cork sniffers barked so they reverted to a 50's spec. The 2012 don't really fix all the problems they paper over the cracks.

Wiseblood

Reaction score
hey,

Generally speaking I believe lighter gauge strings tend to stay in tune better. But a properly setup guitar should be able to support a range off different gauges so I wouldn't worry too much about the strings just yet. Slap on the set that you are most comfortable with and provide you with the best tone (forget about staying in tune for a sec).

Do the specified strings (G& B as you say) go sharp or flat? Make sure that the Nut slots are clean and that the bridge also does not have and burrs. I would suggest to lube both the nut and the bridge with some graphite. Just take a pencil and scrap some lead shavings into the nut & bridge slots.

Manually stretch out all 6 strings with your hands or bend the shit out of them for a few minutes, also stretch out the string behind the bridge and the nut so the entire string is stretched.

Make sure the neck is straight and lower your action to taste and then intonate each string. This things should sing! Don't get hung up on the color, if it's that much of a big deal maybe you can find someone with a similar Les Paul in a burst to trade straight up?

Good luck, let us know how it goes. :dude:

John_L

Reaction score
Manually stretch out all 6 strings with your hands or bend the shit out of them for a few minutes, also stretch out the string behind the bridge and the nut so the entire string is stretched.

Don't stretch strings by pulling them, that is a sure fire way to Standard Gibson Headbreak, plus it's actually pointless. Stretching strings does little or nothing. When you put strings on tune them play a bit tune them again. Stretching them shortens the life of the string (so you need to buy more strings innit). Actually stretching not only ages the string but can magnify some tuning problems as it takes away the elasticity of the string and it's ability to return to pitch after bending.

Adwex

Reaction score
Don't stretch strings by pulling them, that is a sure fire way to Standard Gibson Headbreak, plus it's actually pointless. Stretching strings does little or nothing. When you put strings on tune them play a bit tune them again. Stretching them shortens the life of the string (so you need to buy more strings innit). Actually stretching not only ages the string but can magnify some tuning problems as it takes away the elasticity of the string and it's ability to return to pitch after bending.

You may want to rethink this advice.

You're not going to break the headstock by "pulling" the strings, I've done it countless times on my Les Paul. Stretching the strings is essential for tuning stability. I don't understand how doing so can shorten their life. The initial elasticity of new strings is the issue, where the string doesn't return to its pitch...after the string has been properly stretched, it will return to pitch after a bend.

John_L

Reaction score
You may want to rethink this advice.

You're not going to break the headstock by "pulling" the strings, I've done it countless times on my Les Paul. Stretching the strings is essential for tuning stability. I don't understand how doing so can shorten their life. The initial elasticity of new strings is the issue, where the string doesn't return to its pitch...after the string has been properly stretched, it will return to pitch after a bend.

It's a myth, a really dyed in the wool myth but stretching strings does bugger all but take away the elasticity. DR, Fender and PRS actually tell you not to do it and Dunlop used to in the 90's. Pulling the strings up from the neck in a sharp movement which is what a lot of people (even some so called techs) do can result in SGHB I've had to repair it more than once "What were you doing when you heard the crack?" "Stretching strings" it also puts undue stress on the truss rod. You have to play in new strings that is the simple truth of the matter. Stretching the life out of them is a short cut but it's a really bad habit that seems to have infected a lot of people. Play a load of hard bends or if you have a Floyd pull up on it a few times. But play the strings in over a few hours of practice and you'll find they last a lot longer.

jvm210guy

Reaction score

IMO, this is untrue. Stretching strings is the best way to have your guitar stay in tune, and during gigs it's the only way to ensure that your guit won't get out of tune due to a "break in" period. Your strings shouldn't have to be broken in though with a proper restring, which includes stretching strings...

jvm210guy

Reaction score
hey,

Hey man, listen up. The g and b string issue you are having is extremely common. Luckily it could be remedied by taking it to a luthier to get the nut properly set. No, string gauge changes will not fully resolve the issue. Also keep in mind the issue can get worse, because as you play your guitar over time the strings begin to cut deeper into the nut, thus causing further issues. This is normal with any nut that isn't made of indestructible steel.

Why is this more of an issue with LP's? Well, someone smarter can elaborate, but I think it has something to do with the angle of the headstock... Perhaps this is why the new standards don't have this issue as much, because supposedly they slightly changed the angle?

Can't help you with the part about you not liking the color though, sorry. That issue is less common..

John_L

Reaction score
IMO, this is untrue. Stretching strings is the best way to have your guitar stay in tune, and during gigs it's the only way to ensure that your guit won't get out of tune due to a "break in" period. Your strings shouldn't have to be broken in though with a proper restring, which includes stretching strings...

As I said it's a short cut, but you should be able to play in a new set of strings with a normal practice in a couple of hours. Pulling them about just takes life out of them. Get an elastic band and pull it about it'll get less and less elastic till it breaks. That is what you are doing tugging the strings about. It doesn't do the strings or the guitar any good. Plus it costs you a lot of money if you have to change strings every show.

jvm210guy

Reaction score
It's a myth, a really dyed in the wool myth but stretching strings does bugger all but take away the elasticity. DR, Fender and PRS actually tell you not to do it and Dunlop used to in the 90's. Pulling the strings up from the neck in a sharp movement which is what a lot of people (even some so called techs) do can result in SGHB I've had to repair it more than once "What were you doing when you heard the crack?" "Stretching strings" it also puts undue stress on the truss rod. You have to play in new strings that is the simple truth of the matter. Stretching the life out of them is a short cut but it's a really bad habit that seems to have infected a lot of people. Play a load of hard bends or if you have a Floyd pull up on it a few times. But play the strings in over a few hours of practice and you'll find they last a lot longer.

Ya man, pulling up from the neck would definitely not be a good idea, but that's really improper technique anyway. Your supposed start at the top fret and pull from bottom. I mean your not supposed to tug the hell out of it...

Adwex

Reaction score
Lubricate the nut slots with something...pencil graphite, chapstick, or "nut sauce", are all commonly used. When you bend a string, it binds in the nut and won't return to pitch. A new nut made of a better material is a more permanent solution.

Grunch

Reaction score
I've always heard that the G string tuning problem with LP's and SG's is because of two things:

1) An unwound G-string has a bad tenstion/length ratio. A wound G string stays in tune much better.

2) The angle from the nut slot to the tuning peg. The D and G strings make a relatively sharp bend to reach their respective tuning pegs. It's not a big deal on the D because it is wound. It hurts the G because it's not wound and the aforementioned length/tension ratio.

The solution: pick a string gauge you wanna use and have the nut cut properly by a qualified tech.

Adwex

Reaction score
I've always heard that the G string tuning problem with LP's and SG's is because of two things:

1) An unwound G-string has a bad tenstion/length ratio. A wound G string stays in tune much better.

2) The angle from the nut slot to the tuning peg. The D and G strings make a relatively sharp bend to reach their respective tuning pegs. It's not a big deal on the D because it is wound. It hurts the G because it's not wound and the aforementioned length/tension ratio.

The solution: pick a string gauge you wanna use and have the nut cut properly by a qualified tech.

Wound G strings are not typical, and somewhat rare. Probably only available on very heavy guage sets.

You are correct about the string angle, that's why Strats don't really have this issue.

Grunch

Reaction score
Wound G strings are not typical, and somewhat rare. Probably only available on very heavy guage sets.

Yeah I guess. I used to use them all the time and found them relatively easily when I was a rhythm guy in punk bands. It's been a while though. I haven't looked for any in the past several years.

Led4thehed2

Reaction score
Playing a guitar that doesn't stay in tune is a super bitch. My Explorer will tune the open G just fine, but fretted, it's sharp. Sharp enough to notice, anyway. I definitely don't have a pitch-perfect ear, it's just easy to notice and sounds like garbage. I've tried at least 8 different kinds of strings and they all do it. I've taken it to a tech twice for intonation and even had the nut toyed with and it's still sharp. One day, when I have the money, I will retire this fucker and get a guitar that fuckin stays in tune! Don't care if it's Gibson, Jackson, whatever, just has to stay in tune.

Therefore, I vote get a guitar with stable tuning.

societyincorporated

Reaction score
Great post I bought a new Les Paul last August and after a face plant a new Bone nut was put on. I find that as long as I am tuning up to the point and never go past it sounds great! When I go beyond trying to keep it in tune is a bitch! I don’t get it I am almost 40 and know how to tune my guitar and I use a tuner! Thank for the tips….

Latest posts